Man Dressed as Darth Vader Spared Jail for Attack on Founder of Britain's Jedi Church

This is a discussion on Man Dressed as Darth Vader Spared Jail for Attack on Founder of Britain's Jedi Church within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HOLYHEAD, Wales A man who dressed up as Darth Vader, wearing a garbage bag for a cape, and assaulted the founders of a group ...

Thread: Man Dressed as Darth Vader Spared Jail for Attack on Founder of Britain's Jedi Church

Man Dressed as Darth Vader Spared Jail for Attack on Founder of Britain's Jedi Church

HOLYHEAD, Wales A man who dressed up as Darth Vader, wearing a garbage bag for a cape, and assaulted the founders of a group calling itself the Jedi church was given a suspended sentence Tuesday.

Arwel Wynne Hughes, 27, attacked Jedi church founder Barney Jones aka Master Jonba Hehol with a metal crutch, hitting him on the head, prosecutors told Holyhead Magistrates' Court.

He also whacked Jones' 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones known as Master Mormi Hehol bruising his thigh in the March 25 incident, prosecutors said.

The two cousins and Barney Jones' brother, Daniel, set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year. Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the "Star Wars" films.

The group, which claims about 30 members, says on its Web site that it uses "insight and knowledge" from the films as "a guide to living a better and more worthwhile life."

"We all love the films and what they stand for. Obviously some people are going to laugh about it," the Wales on Sunday newspaper quoted Barney Jones as saying last month. "But a lot of people do take it seriously."

Unfortunately for Hughes, his March attack was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light saber battle.

"Darth Vader! Jedis!" Hughes shouted as he approached.

Hughes claimed he couldn't remember the incident, having drunk the better part of a 2 1/2-gallon box of wine beforehand.

"He knows his behavior was wrong and didn't want it to happen but he has no recollection of it," said Hughes' lawyer, Frances Jones.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for one year. He also ordered Hughes to pay $195 to each of his victims and $117 in court costs.

In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 0.7 percent of the population listed Jedi as their religion.
    These Jedi's are not very good. They were overpowered by a metal crutch. The force was not with them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Incorrect smiley usage on Deadeye72.

Any story relating to the idiotic "Jedi church" must have the appropriate smiley:

Carry on.

P.S. Yes, we have a smiley for EVERY THING!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    These Jedi's are not very good. They were overpowered by a metal crutch. The force was not with them.
    I think the garage bag cape had him cloaked..........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Incorrect smiley usage on Deadeye72.

Any story relating to the idiotic "Jedi church" must have the appropriate smiley:

Carry on.

I have that crappy Internet Explorer here at work, and can't get the full list of smiley's. I wanted to use that one though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I dont think I ll ever rent star wars after this :
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

You can't make stuff like that up OMG that is hilarious,I wonder if he had the ominous da da da da da dadadadada tune on his mp3 player
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Once I found out who Luke's real family was I lost interest in the whole mess. This proves I was right in my decision.

What surprises me is that 390,000 people in Britain actually put down "Jedi" as their religion. That's pretty pathetic. Also, is this attack on youtube by any chance? I hope so!

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    What surprises me is that 390,000 people in Britain actually put down "Jedi" as their religion. That's pretty pathetic.
    The sun has set on the British Empire, and I don't think it is rising there tomorrow.

oh man, i cant stop laughing.....

i cant even bother doin a smiley. it doesnt sum it up.....

Lead Moderator
    I wonder if Hughes could claim the "force " made him do it? Well I guess , if theres a Church of Spongbob , why not jedi's too?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    yeah it was... blunt force!
    What's this button do?

This is scary stupid!!

I have been wanting to use that one
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Links