Tell me about Hampton, NH

This is a discussion on Tell me about Hampton, NH within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm up here for a job interview tomorrow morning. I think the area is EXTREMELY nice. Anybody from the area that can tell me about ...

Thread: Tell me about Hampton, NH

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

I'm up here for a job interview tomorrow morning. I think the area is EXTREMELY nice. Anybody from the area that can tell me about it?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Very nice, right on the NH coastline, which is a very small coastline, but in summer the traffic is something else. A LOT of tourists.
    Nice people, great scenery, within reach of the White Mtns. Not all that far from Boston. Closer to Maine than to anywhere else, and Southern Maine coast has the best beaches in the entire state. The farther north you go, the rockier all the beaches are, so the ones in So Maine, e.g. Long Sands Beach, are within an easy drive of the Hampton area.
    As I said, the tourist traffic is tremendous in the summertime.
    NH tourist info can send you a complete travel guide, which is helpful. I have one right here, and it has everything.
    I don't know about residents but non-residents like me can get a NH lic to carry firearms just by filling out an application and sending a very small fee plus a copy of our Mass licence to carry, to NH State Police and it is all done by mail, so if they do that for non-residents they must be really good about residents re giving them permits etc with no problem at all.
    If I can do anything specific for you, just PM me and I will be glad to help.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Also, right across the river in Maine, I almost forgot about this, in Kittery, is a huge gun shop. They have hundreds of rifles and handguns. A big sporting goods place.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Hampton also has a nice boardwalk area and a good sized theater - I've seen George Carlin there a couple of times, and several bands. Seabrook, NH, the next town over, is also home to one operating and one unfinished nuclear reactor (owned by Florida Power and Light, of all companies). Personally, working in the industry, I have no problem with this - and you more than likely live near a nuke plant already - but it is something to consider in an evacuation scenario. There are only really two major interstates that come out of NH to the south, I95 and I93. Of the two, I95 goes right past Hampton, and I93 is about 30-40 miles to the west. Depending on where you are going, it WILL take you hours to travel just a few miles during the summer tourist season. Also, just FYI - I wouldn't want to own/park a really nice car on the New England coast year round. It will get eaten up by salt, sand, wind, horrible drivers... and that's just in the summertime.

With that said, there is a definite charm to the area. You get all of the traditional New England fare, such as clam and lobster bakes, family restaurants that sell some of the best damn pizza I've ever had on the boardwalk, arcades, a great view of lobster boats, sailboats, fishing boats and all of the other privately owned watercraft that are out and about all year round - without all of the Massachusetts legal issues that come with pursuing our hobbies and interests.

Oh yeah - NH's permit fee is like $20, and it's good for 4-5 years.

I forgot about the entertainment part of it. And is there not another Hamton also? Hampton, Hampton Beach, and some other Hamptons. So the exit sign says The Hamptons, I think there are three......isn't the traffic in the summer something else? Popular place.
    Do you know the big gun place across the river in Maine that I was talking about?

Ya got North Hampton, Hampton, Hampton Beach, Hampton Falls....I thinks thats it?

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Do you know the big gun place across the river in Maine that I was talking about?
    Kittery Trading Post.....they have taken lots of my money lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Oh yeah - NH's permit fee is like $20, and it's good for 4-5 years.

$10....good for four years. It can take up to 14 days to get, but mine only took 6

Kittery Trading Post has a huge selection of new and used guns.

Links