"Mystery" animal attack in New Mexico . . . sound fishy to you?

This is a discussion on "Mystery" animal attack in New Mexico . . . sound fishy to you? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Animal Attacks Boy, 5, in New Mexico Mountains - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — ...

Thread: "Mystery" animal attack in New Mexico . . . sound fishy to you?

"Mystery" animal attack in New Mexico . . . sound fishy to you?

FOXNews.com - Animal Attacks Boy, 5, in New Mexico Mountains - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A large animal attacked a 5-year-old boy hiking with his family, seriously injuring him with puncture wounds to the head, neck and back, authorities said.

Jose Salazar Jr. was hiking near Sandia Peak east of Albuquerque and had run ahead of his parents on Saturday evening when they heard a scream, Bernalillo County Sheriff Darren White said.

The boy's parents, Jose and Charlotte Salazar, saw the animal emerge from the brush and start dragging their son, White said. The father tried to jump on the animal's back, and it let go of the boy and fled.

The state Game and Fish Department said in a news release Monday that the child and his father identified the animal as a mountain lion from pictures shown to them.

Game and fish spokesman Ross Morgan, however, said dogs trained to track mountain lions picked up no scent in the area Saturday night or Sunday. The dogs were brought in again Monday.

"We're not going to rule out a small bear, cougar and bobcat at this point," Morgan said.

The U.S. Forest Service closed the Balsam Glade trail and campground while the investigation continues. The area is known to have mountain lions, bobcats, bears, coyotes and feral dogs.

The boy was hospitalized in serious condition Saturday, White said. On Monday the Game and Fish Department said the child was in satisfactory condition. A hospital spokeswoman said Monday the family declined to make the boy's condition public.

Attacks by bears and mountain lions on humans are rare. In New Mexico, a mountain lion attacked and killed an 8-year-old boy in 1974 in Espanola. A bear killed a 93-year-old Mora County woman in her home in August 2001.

I'm not particularly familiar with mountain lions, etc . . . but this story just seems weird to me. Anybody with more experience have some light to shed on it?

2. Remove Ads

Pretty normal, grab the head and snap the neck or gore the prey. Smaller animals are easily controlled by the cat controlling the skull, until the cat can drag them off to finish up.

Two things stand out to me:
    1.)
    had run ahead of his parents
    2.)
    his father identified the animal as a mountain lion from pictures shown to them.
    #1 is how one kills one's children with stupidity.
    #2, if you don't know what's out there, don't wander around.
    I don't see malfeasance, just the usual foolishness.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    And a new legend is born.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    chupacabra attack

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    chupacabra attack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    chupacabra attack
    Awww...you beat me to it. I hope the boy recovers swiftly!

Administrator

Just FYI

I moved your thread out of Bob Ford's Place and into O.T. & Humor.

Even though anybody getting attacked by any mystery animal is not Humor...it is more suitably placed in O.T. than in Bob Ford's Place.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don’t know about New Mexico, but mountain lion attacks are not exactly uncommon across the US. In Southern California a couple of years ago they lost a couple of bicyclists who were ridding on a bike trail in one of the parks down there and at least one of them was an adult. As we expand more and more into the areas where these animals live we are forcing them to get used to us and guess what….a 5 year old child is lunch size for them.

As Rob72 said “if you don't know what's out there, don't wander around”.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Around these parts we look out for the Wampus Cat. I've seen one, and so have my friends. Really!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That definitely sounds like a typical mountain lion attack.

As a mountain biker, I have to take precautions and be careful to travel in groups and not alone in certain areas.

Mountain Lions will wait for someone to ride by, and jump on them knocking them off their bike, usually grabbing their face/neck/head area and dragging them off into the woods to finish eating them.

Look for California stories, I think thats a popular place for it to happen.

Lion attack.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    I don’t know about New Mexico, but mountain lion attacks are not exactly uncommon across the US. In Southern California a couple of years ago they lost a couple of bicyclists who were ridding on a bike trail in one of the parks down there and at least one of them was an adult.
    Actually, mountain lion attacks on humans ARE uncommon. They are very noteworthy and hence are often well known, but they occur in VERY LOW frequency, hence are uncommon. In fact, there are only an average of less than 6 per year in all of the US and Canada, or about 1 for every 10 states plus 1 for Canada each year.

Mountain Lion Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Links