UGLY: Another Reason To Carry

This is a discussion on UGLY: Another Reason To Carry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S. Pit Bulls Attack and Kill 7-Year-Old on Rural Texas Road Monday, May 19, 2008 ABILENE, Texas A 7-year-old boy died ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Another Reason To Carry

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

UGLY: Another Reason To Carry

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S.

Pit Bulls Attack and Kill 7-Year-Old on Rural Texas Road
    Monday, May 19, 2008

ABILENE, Texas A 7-year-old boy died after he was apparently attacked by two pit bulls along a road, and deputies summoned to the scene had to shoot the dogs before they could reach him, authorities said.

A driver saw Tanner Joshua Monk lying beside a road near Breckenridge on Sunday with two dogs nearby, Stephens County Sheriff Jim Reeves said. She got out of the car to help him, but the dogs became aggressive so she called 911, he said.

Two sheriff's deputies who came to the scene shot the dogs to death when they also became aggressive toward them. The deputies found that Tanner was dead, Reeves said in Monday's edition of the Abilene Reporter-News.

The two pit bulls, along with two others seized by law enforcement, belonged to a neighbor of the child's family, Reeves said.

No one was arrested Sunday. Reeves said evidence probably will be presented to a grand jury following an autopsy on the boy and tests on the dogs that were killed. Apparently no one saw what happened on the road north of Breckenridge, about 55 miles northeast of Abilene, he said.

It was the second serious pit bull attack on a child in four days in Texas.

On Wednesday in Fort Worth, a woman's two pit bulls attacked her 2-year-old niece as she was preparing to give the child a bath, police said. The little girl was critically injured, and her aunt also was injured as she lay over the child trying to protect her, police said.

Animal control officers later euthanized the dogs.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

I think we need to open a season on pit bulls that lasts 365 days a year.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

What a sad tragedy. Someone close enough and who was carrying, might have saved the kid. Would have made a difference. It is in fact another reason to carry. Not just bad guys.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

You can swam out any type of dog in the same situtation. Shepards, Dobbies, Rotties

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    You can swam out any type of dog in the same situtation. Shepards, Dobbies, Rotties
    I hate Pitt Bulls with a passion. They should be wiped off the face of the earth and any bread close to it. A lot of people are killed by them each year, not to mention the ones that are maimed. The same breed comes up most of the time, it is the Pitts, not what you mention above in your posts. And don't give me that crap about it is the owners fault the way the dogs are trained.

There are cities now banning Pitts from there borders. They should be banned from this earth. If you own one, you are asking for and most likely will get into a situation that will break you financialy and maybe lose your freedom. To bad some people have such a ego when they own these animals.

Unfortunately, I say you'd need to put the dogs down to protect the neighborhood.

Then put the owner down to protect the gene pool.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Unfortunately, I say you'd need to put the dogs down to protect the neighborhood.

Then put the owner down to protect the gene pool.

-JT

True that.

VIP Member

An arrest should perhaps have been made

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

No one was arrested Sunday. Reeves said evidence probably will be presented to a grand jury following an autopsy on the boy and tests on the dogs that were killed. Apparently no one saw what happened on the road north of Breckenridge, about 55 miles northeast of Abilene, he said.

It was the second serious pit bull attack on a child in four days in Texas.
    Last Texas legislative session The Leg. put teeth into dog attack laws and added criminal penalties for owners who let their dog(s) get out if the dog causes serious bodily injury.

Personally, I think the breed should be illegal, but I know there are many who don't share that view.

The thing is, I can't recall reading of a Collie killing, or a Beagle killing, or even of a German Shep. killing. And the latter make good guard dogs.

I don't think that even the fearsome looking Rotweiller has the history of senseless attacks on children and old people seen with the Pit Bulls.

It is time for them to go.

The vast majority of the time, a pit bull's viciousness is the result of an idiot owner trying to raise a mean dog. This is likely because they can't afford a breed like a GSD or Dobie (with real training), or they're trying to compensate for something very, very small between their legs.

I've known a pitbull that was THE most loving dog I have EVER seen across ANY breed. Poor thing was abused by the former owner, then abandoned. Scars in her neck from a chain that dug into the flesh. Rescued by another family and is now a complete charmer. She scared the crap out of me when I first saw her, as she was running at me full bore when I got out of my car, but then she just started jumping and dancing around me playfully.

Just like rotten kids...most of the time, it's the person doing the upbringing.

But for some reason, I'm not allowed to shoot them for that.

-JT

Terrible tragedy....

One of my clients is a veternarian, and I asked him about pit bulls, as a breed. He said that they were "loose canons", ready to go off at the slightest provocation.

Having said that, my next door (part time) neighbor has a pit bull, and I've told them to keep it tethered, which they generally do. I have seen the dog play their grandchildren, and I hope to God there is not a tragedy lurking.

If that dog comes on my property though, and threatens me or my family, I would have no problem dispatching it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    I hate Pitt Bulls with a passion. They should be wiped off the face of the earth and any bread close to it. A lot of people are killed by them each year, not to mention the ones that are maimed. The same breed comes up most of the time, it is the Pitts, not what you mention above in your posts. And don't give me that crap about it is the owners fault the way the dogs are trained.

There are cities now banning Pitts from there borders. They should be banned from this earth. If you own one, you are asking for and most likely will get into a situation that will break you financialy and maybe lose your freedom. To bad some people have such a ego when they own these animals.
    Sorry, but as I've been around so many different breeds of dogs throughout my life (including pits), I trust the pits to be more of a family dog than some commonly known dogs now (labs, chows, tzit-tzu's, shar-pais, dalmations, etc...). Why? Because they're predictable. I've been around just about every medium to large and extra large breed dogs at some point in my life from all the breeds already listed here, Elkhounds, Huskies, Shepherds, etc...even up to a Shepherd/Timberwolf mix. I've seen the most unsuspecting, seemingly perfect dogs lash out for no apparent reason(although there usually is a reason, we just don't see things the way dogs do).
    I currently own a rescued Pit. It seems she was a bait/chaser dog(used to rile up the other fight dogs) that I've managed to get socialized and trained rather well for a dog that seemed to have no training or socialization at all. I trust her over little dogs any day.

I'd venture to say that 95% of the attacks by pits were owned by folks that got them for all the wrong reasonsbecause of their reputation as a fighting dog and never properly socialized or trained them (which is a problem with ANY breed). The only issue is that the pits tend to have a higher prey drive which is obviously bred into them. That shouldn't be a factor though unless you set them off. What that just means is that if you do manage to tee them off they're not going to break off the attack unless they're properly trained. Unlike a lab that may snap at you for no darn go reason, but will probably break off the attack if confronted.

I can use your same knee-jerk, emotionally driven response to argue for the banning of guns, knives, baseball bats, cars, trucks, and airplanes...need I go on.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Here's an interesting report, compiled by breed:
    Scroll down the list and check out pit bulls, then draw your own conclusions.

Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

Pit Bulls accountted for 74% of ALL attacks. The last paragraph of the report reads:

"Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be
    handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special
    requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other
    animals, if they are to be kept at all."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I can use your same knee-jerk, emotionally driven response to argue for the banning of guns...
    That's really not a fair comparison. My gun is not a living creature. If I keep it holstered and concealed, I am positive it's not going to go off by itself and shoot someone. The pit bull, and other breeds, have a temperment that is bred into them, and who knows what might set it off, and it might not be under my control.

And, as mentioned above, I've never heard of a golden lab, or a beagle, or a collie, or other docile breeds ever killing anyone.

If people wish to keep a pit bull, that is their privelege, far be it for me to intefere with that. But at the same time, I also have a right to be safe from them, and not threatened.

Just my opinion...
    Last edited by JonInNY; May 19th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Does anyone here recall the last time your friends, family or grandchildren came over and your 1911 climbed out of the safe the night stand and tore one of their heads off?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    Does anyone here recall the last time your friends, family or grandchildren came over and your 1911 climbed out of the safe the night stand and tore one of their heads off?
    +1 Exactly my point!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links