Opinions wanted on unsolicted mailings

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted on unsolicted mailings within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a dilema. I have been sent a DVD by a self defense school. My first inclination is to keep it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted on unsolicted mailings

Opinions wanted on unsolicted mailings

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a dilema. I have been sent a DVD by a self defense school. My first inclination is to keep it (and their first letter acknowledged you could do this) and not pay them. I know this is legal, and it would hopefully "teach them" to not send me anything I didn't ask for in the future. (I have never done business with this concern. They got my name from the one gun rag I subscribe to.)

Then there's the other side--It doesn't strike me as morally right to take something and not pay for it. (They sent me a nice little reminder today.) There is also the part of me that says, "They're part of the shooting brotherhood, which is worth something by itself." Then I get back to being mad at them for cluttering my mailbox and giving me one more thing to do.

What should I do? I want to do the right thing, but I don't want to encourage them to persist in this business practice.

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

Do what is morally right. Pay for it or return it. And just write them a letter asking them not to send you anything else without you ordering it, a nice courteous letter will do it.
    If you don't, the moral issue will keep bothering you.
    My advice is based on what you told me about yourself, i.e. that you care about doing the right thing. I wish more folks did.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Personally I would probably send it back to them with a polite "thanks, but please don't send me unsolicited mail again" note.

Unless their asking price was very fair (say $10 or less) in which case I might pay them for it (if and only if I actually wanted the DVD). However, doing this will encourage more junk mail from them.

Best bet is to send it back and buy your DVDs from a reliable, non-soliciting source, IMHO.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Fed Law was passed many years ago that unsolicited mail that included items of alleged value were to be treated as "gifts". No need to acknowledge, return or pay for them.

If you have a moral problem with that, so be it. But ask yourself if it is morally correct to send unsolicited junk to others and expect them to waste their time and money responding, returning, or paying for it!

VIP Member
    I'd send it back with a letter stating I did not wish to recieve anymore DVD's or other merchandise from them. If after that they continue to send items unsolicited, keep it. You did your part to save them money.

Put it in the recycle bin and forget about it.

I'd call them and ask them to send me a shipping label and box. I'd be happy to return it but not so thrilled about using my time and money.

Since it was a gift I would take it to the range use it as target pratice and then send it back with a kind note stating it wouldn't play. Please send another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a dilema. I have been sent a DVD by a self defense school. My first inclination is to keep it (and their first letter acknowledged you could do this) and not pay them. I know this is legal, and it would hopefully "teach them" to not send me anything I didn't ask for in the future. (I have never done business with this concern. They got my name from the one gun rag I subscribe to.)

Then there's the other side--It doesn't strike me as morally right to take something and not pay for it. (They sent me a nice little reminder today.) There is also the part of me that says, "They're part of the shooting brotherhood, which is worth something by itself." Then I get back to being mad at them for cluttering my mailbox and giving me one more thing to do.

What should I do? I want to do the right thing, but I don't want to encourage them to persist in this business practice.

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    See your own bold. After re-reading it...what's the dilema? They told you you could keep it. So what's the problem? There's no moral /ethical issue here. They sent you an unsolicited gift and told you that you could keep it. I can't take issue with that and I'm a big advocate of the way they deal with theft in some of the middle east countries(ie you steal from me...I steal your hand from you).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    You didn't take anything, they sent you junk you didn't want and are trying to guilt you into sending them money. I can't think of anything more annoying and underhanded.

What's your address? I have a some stuff to send you and you don't even have to pay me for it. Then I'll send you a reminder that donations are welcome to fund research on the cure for cancer and to save my puppy dog from AIDS.

Please go back to being mad at them. Expend no more energy, money or thought to deal with their junk mail harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Fed Law was passed many years ago that unsolicited mail that included items of alleged value were to be treated as "gifts". No need to acknowledge, return or pay for them.
    Absolutely correct. My guess it's a Frontsite video by Dr. P, or whatever they call themselves. It's free junk and a sales video to get you to sign up for a membership which is big bucks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks, guys.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I'd call them and ask them to send me a shipping label and box. I'd be happy to return it but not so thrilled about using my time and money.
    +1

Maybe save the cost of a call and use Email or their 800 number if they have one.

Of course, I might have to watch the video to find the number. Bet it's there somewhere and that as Supertac45 said,
    It's free junk and a sales video to get you to sign up for a membership which is big bucks.
    OTOH - Once I watched it, I would pay for it -- if, (on an absolute long-shot) I liked it and would have bought it, had I know about it.

DSFDF YMMV etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

Absolutely correct. My guess it's a Frontsite video by Dr. P, or whatever they call themselves. It's free junk and a sales video to get you to sign up for a membership which is big bucks.
    I recently got the same thing. It was not a Frontsight solicitation. It was from a different shooting school. I don't recall the name off the top of my head. I watched the DVD, nothing spectacular, gave it to a friend, and received a reminder about it the other day. The law states I don't have to do anything since it was unsolicited. I consider it nothing but spam. The pitch is to join a monthly "club" and pay for the continuing series and receive a new DVD ever month. Forget about it.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I would not spend to much time deliberating this "delima". If they said you could keep it, and don't have to pay for it, then that's the end of it!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links