Where do you buy gas?

This is a discussion on Where do you buy gas? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With gas prices breaking records!! Oil companies breaking records(profit)! The global(it seems) hatred of us by certain people, I was wondering, who owns these oil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy gas?

Where do you buy gas?

With gas prices breaking records!!
    Oil companies breaking records(profit)!
    The global(it seems) hatred of us by certain people, I was wondering, who owns these oil companies?
    Which one do you visit,or does it matter?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

"Where do you buy gas?"
    Lately Taco Bell has had the only affordable 'gas'

In my neck o the woods, it's been a toss-up as to the cheapest gasoline being at Wally-World, on base (Navy) mini-mart, or the discount 'stop n rob' just up the street.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post

I was wondering, who owns these oil companies?
    I you own any mutual funds or invest in a retirement savings fund (401k/403b), it's likely that you do.

And if you don't......you should!

Those "Big oil" companies the media and politicians cry so much about have a profit margin of 10% or less. The "record profits" simply reflect the fact that as the cost of crude increases, that ten percent adds up to more money. Simple math. Oil companies have no control over the cost of their raw product.

Perhaps we should go after the profits of every company with such a high markup... oh, wait... that's pretty much every business in the U.S. (and the world).

If you want to blame someone, blame our government. They're the ones preventing new refineries, nuclear plants, drilling for our own crude, oil shale processing, and everything else that would result in lower energy costs, while subsidizing useless endeavors such as ethanol.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    If you want to blame someone, blame our government. They're the ones preventing new refineries, nuclear plants, drilling for our own crude, oil shale processing, and everything else that would result in lower energy costs, while subsidizing useless endeavors such as ethanol.

As an ex-nuclear engineer, you nailed it!!

The gov't and litigation over anything to kill the companies (same as the city lawsuits for every gun murder/injury) did what it intended and the entire industry went down the drain.

If this ship turned 180deg tomorrow it would still take 20 years to bring the first new nuke plant online . . . and that assumes legislation prohibited frivolous lawsuits (and that would never happen . . . remember our legistraitors are all lawyers).

Reprocessing "spent" fuel rods is the other economic killer here. Gov't refuses to allow transport to a recycle center to refurbish and re-use them, so they sit in pools of water for eternity at prior site of the plants. "Spent" fuel rods are only ~5% used up and the 95% can be easily reclaimed to make new fuel rods. On US Navy ships with nuke plants aboard, they have been recycling the fuel rods forever . . . they move them to the recycle plants in the dark of night under "national security" (no mayors/governors notified or asked for permission) and "it gets done". Nobody's got the cohones in the non-military world to do the same thing here in the States . . . so we are forced to kneel down and pray to the Arab states for mercy as they gut us slowly but surely economically.

I keep it simple - Costco or Sam's Club.

I was just touring down Highway 1 in California last week. Stopped in Big Sur for fuel (bike used a lot at 30mph) and paid $5.79/gallon. Blatant gouging, but the owner proudly said "take it or leave it".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    With gas prices breaking records!!
    Oil companies breaking records(profit)!
    The global(it seems) hatred of us by certain people, I was wondering, who owns these oil companies?
    Which one do you visit,or does it matter?

STOP IT!!

Blaming the price of gas on the American oil companies is like blaming the increased cost of ammo on Remington. They have absolutely no control over it. It is not like Exxon has a monopoly. They are like 1/2% of the market and have no control of the price of oil. It is a world wide market and they just sell their wares in it.

I saw a movie not too long ago called Blue State. About a liberal who promised to move to Canada if Bush won reelection. After several of his friends held him accountable to keep his promise, he is driving to Canada with this young lady. They needed gas. He said he only bought Sinclair gas because it is owned by Chavez and although he is not perfect, he does care about his people. I almost puked. How misguided.

You want the price of gas to come down? Let the American oil companies drill domestically and build more refineries. Plus, a few more power plants would help, too, but certain factions in this country block all our efforts. Hey, you voted for them, now pay the consequences.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If gas is too expensive for you: drive less, walk, take a bike, share a ride. The reason gas is expensive is that we still buy it at the price its at. Gas has been way too cheap for way too long.

Drilling in places like the arctic will give us a few more years of cheap gas but cost us irreplaceable natural treasures. Its the same political gimmick as a "gas tax holiday" or "bio fuel". The only thing that is going to help is to use less gas/oil.

(on another note... yesterday I read that for the first time in 30 years oil imports to the US went down! Finally high prices will help us in our recover from oil addition ... maybe?)

I buy gas at...a gas station.

Wink Taliban Mart

I gas up at the local Taliban Mart. I think the guy who runs it is Osama Bin Ladens' brother. I hope to get lucky and catch him there one day and collect the reward.
    Besides thier gas is cheaper than the Al Qaeda Mart.
    U.S. Army Veteran

OK, PaulJ, where are we going to get our energy then? Unfortunately, any of the "wonder fuels" and alternative sources we keep hearing about are decades away from being any kind of reality.

So let's investigate "alternative fuels". I work in the power industry, and I can tell you that Coal and Nuclear power are far cheaper to burn. I have always said if you want to win the argument against environmentalists, shut down the nukes and the coal burners and let everyone pay for gas generation and all of the clean "alternatives". Then take out a full-page ad in the paper and print the names and addresses of all the environmental activists in that ad, explaining that we have graciously decided to accede to their demands and you are now going to pay through the nose for your electricity.

The Environmentalists will soon be hanging from every tree in the country by very short ropes. To say we have to drive less is foolish, just as foolish as saying that we have enjoyed cheap gas for too long. That's the liberals trying once again to make us feel guilty for our wealth and success. More hogwash....

So here it is: Current "alternative" energy technologies cannot replace the energy we use now joule for joule, or horsepower for horsepower. That is a fact. We can keep developing these technologies, but in the meantime, we must begin using our domestic resources and end the hammerlock on our ability to produce them. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

And as far as I am concerned, if the rest of the world calls on us to finish their wars and solve their problems, we deserve our "cheap gas".
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    So here it is: Current "alternative" energy technologies cannot replace the energy we use now joule for joule, or horsepower for horsepower. That is a fact. We can keep developing these technologies, but in the meantime, we must begin using our domestic resources and end the hammerlock on our ability to produce them. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?.
    Exactly. Alternative energies will not be able to do the job unless we start to think seriously about saving energy. Lets not forget that oil is also an important resource for the chemical industry. There are lots of ways to replace oil when it comes to create electricity for example. But how many replacements are there when it comes to making plastics? In many cases none!

VIP Member
    I buy wherever is cheapest except 2 companies: Shell and Citgo. The first one is because for some reason I get serious engine knocking every time I use it and the second one is I'll be damned if I give Hugo any of hard earned monies anymore since he already stole from me.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I buy my gas at ARCO, it is usually 19 cents cheaper then CHEVRON and SHELL
    which are always about the same. ARCO is always at least 2 cents cheaper then any where else. In my area ARCO is allways cheapest. SHELL had gas for $3.91 on friday and I bought it at ARCO for $3.73. My take is if ARCO is always that much cheaper then all others are Gouging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links