Mother's Day Tornado

This is a discussion on Mother's Day Tornado within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I finally got my cable service restored this past weekend after last weekend's storm. We had 8-10 tornadoes tear through middle Georgia on Mother's ...

Thread: Mother's Day Tornado

Mother's Day Tornado

Well, I finally got my cable service restored this past weekend after last weekend's storm. We had 8-10 tornadoes tear through middle Georgia on Mother's Day, one bearing down on my neighborhood. That was an experience to scratch off of the bucket list to say the least!

Last Sunday morning around 4:45, I was awakened by one of my dogs freaking out at the constant thunder and lightning. No sooner had I got up, the tornado sirens started sounding so I flipped on the local news to see what was going on. I sat there for quite awhile watching the weatherman talk about a possible tornado in the northern part of the county, still half-asleep and thinking that north Bibb Co has sure taken it's fair share of storm related beatings in the last couple of years.

The sirens were still blaring and the weather wasn't getting any nicer here so I decided to go ahead and wake my fiancee. She was still sound asleep somehow. I told her what was going on and that we'd better get dressed just in case. I threw on a pair of shorts and some sneakers and sat back down in the living room to keep watching the news/weather.

No sooner had I sat down when the weatherman stated another possible tornado was heading my direction 50-60 mph. I jumped back up, yelled at her to hurry up so we could run to the basement and realized at that moment it was too late. The wind started blowing as if there were no tomorrow. She grabbed a blanket and I called the dogs and we ran to the kitchen, got down on the floor between the stove and the cabinets (ran to the kitchen because that was the farthest room away from a giant oak right outside our bedroom from the direction the storm was coming from). I grabbed hold of the dogs and she threw the blanket over us right as we heard it coming. It was just like everyone on TV says, sounded like a freight train bearing down directly at us. The house started shaking, then loud crashes as the power went out, things started flying off of the walls, more loud crashes, then RAIN hitting us. She was screaming, the dogs were freaking, and folks let me tell you, I thought we were about to die.

At almost the same time I had that thought, poof, it was over. We sat there holding each other for the longest time until we realized it was over and we were still alive. I threw the blanket off of us and stood up. All of these little knick-knacks she kept on the walls were everywhere. Then I noticed rain water pouring out of the cabinets and along the seams of the ceiling. I walked into the next room and was astonished to see a giant hole where our ceiling and roof used to be. Then I opened the side door that opens to the carport and I could partially see my company van but my jeep was not visible from the carport that came crushing down from a direct hit from a pine. My view of the front and rear yards were also blocked my downed trees, including that giant oak that I had loved the shade of and feared the possible destruction from from years.

After a few more minutes, it started to get light outside so we could see what we lived through. The giant oak had missed the house by a few feet and was now lying across my front yard, driveway, neighbor's yard, street and into the yard across the street. Three pines in the back had hit the house and carport. The entire neigborhood looked like a bomb had gone off.

Needless to say, we are very, very thankful to have made it through that ordeal w/o a scratch on us. The house and cars are replaceable. Now comes the ordeal of having to rebuild.

So how was your Mother's Day lol?!!?!

Anywho, here are a few pics of what happened.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. Thank God you're both OK. Best of luck with your recovery and rebuild.
    Steve

Unbelievably scary, when you know for sure that nothing you can do besides take cover, will do any good and it is all around you. Glad you are okay. I used to live in N Centl Texas and in Oklahoma and it got scary in Tornado Alley.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Glad you all are O.K. That could have been a lot worse. Good luck cleaning up. Hopefully your insurance will help out in a timely fashion.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Looks like you got your Cox stuck. I hate it when that happens.

Glad everyone is OK.
    -Biker

Let me get this right,the tornado sirens are going off and you are ignoring them until it's too late to take shelter in the basement,you're very lucky you get a do over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Do the sirens mean there are minutes of warning, or is the amount of warning time unknown? (I'm assuming unknown.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Warning time unknown, could be second, could be minutes, could be not at all because it means there is a twister somewhere closeby, how fast is it moving? Unknown. Is it headed right toward your precise location? Unknown. Does it cover a big area? Unknown.
    So the moment we heard sirens in Texas, we did not all run to the basement without taking a look around etc or we would all be in the basement half the night with tornadoes some miles away, headed toward us but going back up into the clouds. Etc. Not to get on a meterological thread here but the important thing is that the original poster is safe and sound and whether his reaction time was correct or incorrect, no one can say for sure. It would be very idle speculation :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

dang lucky to be alive ,but hey youll have alot of job security for aleast awhile
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

VIP Member
    Not a good way to spend Mothers Day, glad to hear everyone is alright, good luck on the cleanup.

Links