Ignorance of the law is no excuse

This is a discussion on Ignorance of the law is no excuse within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Even if you are a farm animal,I guess if you put yourself in a position where a donkey attacks you it's the donkeys fault Mexican ...

Thread: Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Even if you are a farm animal,I guess if you put yourself in a position where a donkey attacks you it's the donkeys fault
    Mexican donkey jailed for ornery behavior Tue May 20, 3:48 PM ET A donkey is doing time in southern Mexico for assault and battery.

The animal was locked up at a local jail that normally holds people for public drunkenness and other disturbances after it bit and kicked two men near a ranch in Chiapas state, police said Monday.

Officer Sinar Gomez said the donkey will remain behind bars until its owner agrees to pay the men's medical bills.

"Around here, if someone commits a crime they are jailed," Gomez said "no matter who they are."

The owner, Mauro Gutierrez, told The Associated Press he would try to reach a friendly arrangement to pay the men's bills, estimated at US$420 (euro270).

The victims said the donkey bit Genaro Vazquez, 63, in the chest on Sunday and then kicked 52-year-old Andres Hernandez as he tried to come to the rescue, fracturing his ankle.

"All of a sudden, the animal was on top of us like it was rabid," Hernandez said.

Police said it took a half-dozen men to control the enraged burro.

Chiapas police have thrown animals in the slammer before, including a bull that devoured corn crops and destroyed two wooden vending stands in March.

In 2006, a dog was locked up for 12 days after biting someone. His owners were fined US$18.
    :
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

That's one way to make an ass out of yourself!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I heard that in Mexico, and this is supposedly true, so if anyone knows the truth about this will you please advise? That after a serious auto accident they throw BOTH drivers in jail until they figure it out. Seriously. Does anyone know if this is a myth or not? goes along with what the Mexican guy said in the original post here.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I was once in Tijuana, in the 80's, driving a rental car, with the appropriate Mexican insurance. I was pulled over by the local "LEO", he asked to see my license. When I removed my wallet to get the license, he said, "let me see the whole wallet". I wasn't about to argue with him, and handed him the wallet. He rifled through it, took out about $250 cash, gave it back to me, and said "you can go now."

That's my experience with cars in Mexico.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, that is a big one there, and in a lot of countries. And it is so part a way of life there that no one thinks anything of it. It is expected, like a tip at a restaurant.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I like the way you put LEO in quotation marks there, JonInNy

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I like the way you put LEO in quotation marks there, JonInNy
    Well, he had a police car with lights, a nice uniform, and a 1911. I was just being polite calling him a "LEO". I think "LEO" was not the word I would have used at the time!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I know exactly what you mean. He was a LEO in a way but not in other ways. Mexico is a very iffy place to be, especially Tijuana.

To bad we can't lock all of the JA's up in some Mexican jail. I can think of two right off hand I would love to see spend the next 4 years out of the country!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I was once in Tijuana, in the 80's, driving a rental car, with the appropriate Mexican insurance. I was pulled over by the local "LEO", he asked to see my license. When I removed my wallet to get the license, he said, "let me see the whole wallet". I wasn't about to argue with him, and handed him the wallet. He rifled through it, took out about $250 cash, gave it back to me, and said "you can go now."

That's my experience with cars in Mexico.
    I remember when I was growing up we often took trips to Mexico. There were various checkpoints along the way that would either search your luggage or send you back to the border if you did not pay the 'officials.' Back then a twenty would get you on your way...

Links