What do I do?

What do I do?

This is a discussion on What do I do? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is something that has had me laughing for a long time. I am ex-Navy and did a year over seas, I am now in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do?

What do I do?

This is something that has had me laughing for a long time. I am ex-Navy and did a year over seas, I am now in the ARNG and applying to different LE agencies all over the country.

To make a really long story short, here goes.....My in-laws seem to think i am in the CIA....which is probably my ultimate dream job....lol, but I am not. But at the same time, they dont give me any drama like they give the other family members.....

This was told directly to my wife and not to me.... Should I let them know that I do work for the agency, or just let it ride and milk it for what its worth.....

Milk it, T-Rex. :) That is funny. If you say you do work for the agency, they won't believe you because agents are not to supposed to say they do work there......
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

VIP Member
    Honesty is the best policy, especially with family. Tell the you don't work for the CIA, then wink!

As far as I'm concerned, you're not in a morally bad position by NOT confirming or denying their suspicion.

Talking into your cufflinks at family gatherings might be pushing it too far.

Have fun with it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

my neighbor came by after an background investigator came by. He then asked me....in front of my father in law...."What are you doing? Do you work for the CIA?" and my FNL eyes were as big as softballs....lol

Then later when we were working in the garage, my shirt came up a little too high and he saw that I was carrying...and he had the softball look again....lol

Its nothing but comedy around here, sometimes...lol

You know, archer51 had the best idea, to be honest yet wink. Then they will really be convinced you do work for them.....
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

You could always go with the classic "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." response.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Honesty is the best policy, especially with family. Tell the you don't work for the CIA, then wink!

I have to carry a couple of cell phones for work and what not, so when I get a call....no matter the phone, I leave the room or talk really softly when I am on the phone....lol

This is great. If they get into any trouble, though, they will be coming to you to put in a good word for them at The Agency. So it could backfire :)

thats just it....my wife made me promise not to say anything to them....because it was between her father and me...so if I say something to him...you get the drift....

But get this, my wife asked....what would be so wrong if he did work for the CIA....lol

she said....all she heard was the sounds of crickets chirping....lol

on the other hand if they do get in trouble, i cant do anything....because no one is supposed to know where I work....lol, so I am covered there too...lol

Well, the stuff you are doing now, so far, must have them pretty convinced.
    You can really really milk this.
    And the thing is: When someone has it in their mind that a certain thing is true, they cannot be persuaded out of it by anything. It only reinforces their belief.
    Your father in law would never in a million years now believe that you do not work for the CIA and everything you do is seen in the light of you being an agency employee.
    Remember Hiroo Onoda, the Japanese LT who fought WWII right up to about thirty years after the war ended, in the Phillippines? Everything the US and Japan did to convince him only served to solidify his belief that the war was still going on. They tried everything. Finally, when his CO came and called out to him he surrendered his arms.
    You are in this for the long haul, T-Rex.

yeah, im in it for the long ride.....lol. I know it reinforces the beliefs that I carry. I guess I better get me some shades and wear an ear piece....

I was just thinking. If someone actually DID work for the CIA and played around with it like you're doing, it would have the opposite effect and they would figure that no agent would ACT like he was with the CIA.

Administrator

Your DefensiveCarry IP Address is showing as belonging to C.I.A. Headquarters.
    It's time to "come clean" with us!
    We won't tell anybody...we promise.
    Can we have a ride in your BLACK Helicopter?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links