Scooters vs. Motorcycles

This is a discussion on Scooters vs. Motorcycles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; North American?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scooters vs. Motorcycles

VIP Member
    North American?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

First off, if I lived just 5.5 miles from work and it was all city streets/road ways, I'd be riding my bicycle to work and save all the gas money. 5.5 miles on a bicycle only takes me about 15 minutes.

But, if you have to go motorized, I also suggest a 250 cc motorcycle over the scooter. I am saving right now for a Kawasaki Ninja 250. 70 mpg is hard to beat and the bike looks really, really good....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'd do the bike thing if it wasn't for the many hills here. Work is about 10 miles one way. I sold my vstar 650, and upgraded to a kaw vulcan 1500 with fuel injection. 48 to 50 mpg. Still go to florida or the mountains without going broke, and still ride comfortably 2 people up...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I just have a problem with all the "wannabe" bikers that are comming out of the woodwork lately..seems since American Chopper, biker buildoffs and such, alot of "wannabe" macho men went out and bought these high dollar, high power machines having NO CLUE as to what is involved in riding..sure some were smart and took the MSF classes but many didn't and I suspect that they are paying a heavy price right now for not doing so.

Now with gas going up, we are getting alot of people who have never been on a bike before and going out and buying scooters and small cc bikes, again not having a clue as to what they are getting into.

Bike accident death stats are on the rise as the street are flooded with people who have no riding skills. Just because you can ride a bicycle doesn't meant you can ride a motorcycle..same as a guy getting a private pilots license and thinking that he can now fly a commercial air liner..takes ALOT of time and practice to be good at it and know not what to do to get yourself killed!

Sorry for my skeptisisiam, thats just me.. but riding a motorcycle out in public is a DEADLY SERIOUS venture..
    Big x2. I'm not a pro, but I've seen my share of daredevils and idiots alike, and a lot of them pay the price with their skin (if they're lucky) or their lives. All the gear, all the time. I see people riding with only a helmet and I see my insurance rates going through the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    ...For brand, Honda. They are just reliable. If you go toward something of 500 or larger, do ask people about true mileage as some bikes really do not get what you'd think they do...
    I can squeeze 45-48 out of mine if I ride mostly the highway and keep the speeds reasonable without getting too greedy with the throttle. Super-high performance (I forget exactly how my insurance officially classifies my bike) sportbikes aren't really tuned for economy, 170 bhp takes a lot of gas and a lot of air to make. A smaller carbuereted V-twin like 500-750 cc can get you about 70-55 (respectively ) mpg.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Just to clarify, I do not own a car right now. I'm really just doing the math on keeping my used Mazda & buying my wife a car for her & the kids or just giving her the Mazda & buying a motorcycle/scooter to use for my commute, etc.

The mpg is what is attractive to me. 75-90 mpg is strong. I couldn't find a car for $4,000 that would get anymore than 30 mpg.

Anyone suggest an American-made motorcycle that would be an economical choice? I'm not looking to boost my ego, just want something easy & safe that saves cash on the fuel bill.
    Buell blast is an American option. Available at some H-D dealers.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Honda Rebel

This would be my alternative to a scooter. You can get one for under $3k, and it's only a 250cc motor.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Buell blast is an American option. Available at some H-D dealers.
    That looks like a fun bike.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I do some walk commuting and bike commuting. 5.5 miles will be a 1 hour walk or a 35 minute bike ride on average. If you can pull it off, a bicycle is the way to go. The health benefits are worth the effort and learning curve involved. It's a great option once you have a bike set up for commuting and learn how to ride safely in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post

The mpg is what is attractive to me. 75-90 mpg is strong. I couldn't find a car for $4,000 that would get anymore than 30 mpg.

Anyone suggest an American-made motorcycle

Buell Blast 70 MPG and 492 cc

Buell Motorcycles | Browser Compatibility

I bought a bike last October. It's a Honda 1300vtx. I didn't buy it with the idea of saving money or commuting. It's pretty much just a toy for me. I get between 40 an 50 mpg. Today was the first day I used it to commute. Gas savings is probably a wash for me. Sure I drive the truck less but I just cant stay off the thing and ride just for the enjoyment so I end up burning my savings.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

one of the local guys here in NWA uses his car to take his kids to school..he parks his car on campus, unloads his bicycle and then rides to work.
    "Brains before Bullets"

The motorcycle will have far more versatility than most scooters. But any two-wheeler, bicycles included, is a whole lot smaller than a '72 Cadillac. You really need to learn about how to drive defensively. If you understand what precautions to take, maybe you won't be in that spot that the soccer mom talking on the phone while driving her SUV just drove through.

Taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course could save your life.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Completing the course will count as the practical test for CA's motorcycle drivers license endorsement, and usually qualify you for an insurance discount.

03 Vulcan Nomad. I like to ride in comfort. I ride to work more often now that gas prices have gone crazy.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I say get a cheap car. I own a cheap 4 cylinder Japanese car, pay less than $40/month for insurance and use about 11 gallons of gas/month. About $80/month total to go wherever I need to go, in any weather, including snow.

If you're on the road long enough, you're going to get in an accident. Just about any car at all is still many times safer than a scooter or motorcycle (and more useful). So if you already know that you will get hit eventually, it might as well be in a car.

As others have pointed out, neither a scooter or motorcycle is likely to actually 'save' you money. If you're o.k. with the increased risk of 2 wheel transportation, you should consider a bicycle. Good for your health (until you get smushed), good for your wallet... although I'll never ride a bicycle if I can help it. It takes me 7 minutes to drive 2.5 miles to work and it would probably take 30 minutes to ride a bicycle. I wouldn't want to add an hour to my workday just for cheap transportation.

Is there any public transportation in your area? How much is a bus pass? Cheaper and safer. Except for the wierdos in the back. So many people drive cars because they're the best option.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That looks like a fun bike.
    Agreed!

That's almost exactly what I have been looking for. Now, of course, as I segue into this world, I have friends & family all talking about how much riskier it is to ride a motorcycle.

Thoughts?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links