Scooters vs. Motorcycles

This is a discussion on Scooters vs. Motorcycles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by stanislaskasava Is there any public transportation in your area? How much is a bus pass? Cheaper and safer. Except for the wierdos ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scooters vs. Motorcycles

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Is there any public transportation in your area? How much is a bus pass? Cheaper and safer. Except for the wierdos in the back. So many people drive cars because they're the best option.
    I live in D/FW, home of the car-reliant, sidewalk-hating North Texans. You want to get anywhere here in any reasonable amount of time, you need to have wheels.

2. Remove Ads

M2
    I'll also suggest a bicycle if you are only 5.5. miles from work. For one, it gets great "mileage." Secondly, it's great exercise. Thirdly, it's a lot of fun!

I rode 8.5 miles to work and back when I was stationed in Belgium almost year round and would take long detours home when the weather was nice. I rode in snow and ice and still had no problem. It requires a little logistical work when it comes to clothes and whatnot, but it was well worth the effort in not only gas savings but also the mental and physical health benefits. A decent mountain bike can be had for under a grand (don't buy from a department store, go find a good bicycle shop) and be sure to get a helmet (yes, you need them on bicycles almost as much as you do on motorcycles).

I am in the process of getting one of my motorcycles back on the road for the very same reason. I now live over 17 miles from work and it is impractical to try to do it on a bicycle for numerous reasons. I actually rode my sportbike to work the other day, but it is not the best choice compared to the bike I am getting back on the road, which is a sport-tourer with hard saddlebags. Motorcycles are a lot of fun and although more dangerous than a car, they can still be ridden safely. Treat it like you would a firearm, know it and respect it, and you can dramatically reduce the danger.

And I have to say I get a kick when people say motorcycles will get you killed, especially on a gun forum. I am sure the same people get quite upset when people say the same thing about guns; but then they turn around and make the same biased comments about motorcycles. It is simply a matter of risk management, as in the hands of an idiot, even a yo-yo is dangerous!

Cheers! M2

nothing worse than (over weight people, on under powered scooters)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links