Pharmacy

Pharmacy

This is a discussion on Pharmacy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Walgreens has been my pharmacy for years and years. Lately in the last year or so they've really dropped the ball. I don't think it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacy

Pharmacy

Walgreens has been my pharmacy for years and years. Lately in the last year or so they've really dropped the ball. I don't think it's the actual pharmacists at the local store, more the system itself.

When you order something, the "main office" faxes the doctor. I can't tell you the times Walgreens has told me they are waiting on the doctor, but when I call the doctor they have not heard from them at all. By the way, the Dr. and his son (now my Dr.) are personal friends we've known for somewhere around 15 years. We know most of the office staff as well. It's unlikely they would lie about not getting the fax.

So, where have you gotten good service? I looked on the internet but get confusing results, some good some bad. Any recommendations? We have several medications that need "pre-approval" each month so there's really no time for foul ups.

Thanks,

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Walgreens, actually. The one in my neighborhood is great. They hire good and conscientious people, and they do what they say, on-time. Have never had troubles.

My guess is: it's the people, not the system.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Walgreens has become a little to big for their own britches IMO. I like to support the local mom and pop, but I understand that very few are left around the country.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've had an issue with all of the 'big' pharmacies in town. We've settled on CVS exclusively. I have not used a Walgreens as there's never been one near enough for my family to use, but one has just 'broke ground' here in town and will be operating by the end of summer.....but I'm staying with CVS.

BTW, Wal-Mart's pharmacy has been the worst WRT service, etc.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Interesting timing on your post. We finally gave Walgreens the heave ho last week. They're just not as responsive as CVS in our, albeit localized, experience.

I quit using Walgreen's after my first spinal surgery. The day I came home from the hospital my Dad stayed with me while my wife went to get my pain meds filled. The pharmacist started giving her a hassle about the strength and quantity - 60 ct. 7.5/500mg Lortab IIRC. He said he'd have to call my doctor to verify everything. Wife pretty much exploded on him and told him that day was the doc's surgical day and he wouldn't be in the office at all but I was four days post op from a spinal fusion. Dillweed filled my 'scrip ... gotta love my wife!

During my recovery, they lost three of my prescriptions and I had to call the doctor back to have him phone them in directly. That was the last straw.

Since then I've been using our local Kroger and they've gone above and beyond on several occasions. There have been about three times that my doc's nurses have dropped the ball on calling in my pain med refills (like taking a week to get around to it). After calling the pharmacist for the third time to check on it, she personally called the doc's office and got things straightened out within the hour. They don't have the long hours of operation like Walgreen's, CVS, etc. but the service is always top notch. Heck they even recognize my wife when she goes to pick up my meds, she'll walk up to the counter and they just ask, "Are you picking up for Jack?"
    Jack

I feel your pain about it and i worked for these types of places.

In my pharmacy tech past I have worked at three different pharmacies and one hospital pharmacy. In total I have had 10yrs in the field.

So I will give you my experience on the other side.

Well with scripts that need pre-approval the pharmacy has to contact the insurance company. I have a friend who worked in a insurance company approval department. That often can take a day or two depending on the volume or request comming in. That can invole them contacting the Doctor for info.etc. Then getting back to the pharmacy. So that is part the other part is overall work load. Some places fill like 400~500 scripts per day. With one pharmacists and two techs that is a lot. Plus the walk up questions and the phone calls. All three places lunches almost never happened other than quick snacks and a soda.

I worked at a WG pharmacy part time for about six months while working at the hospital. I signed up for the second shift. So i worked at the hospital and then went to WG's. I stuck with it long enough to save some cash for my first hand gun and ammo..lol It was the only job i walked out on. I felt that I was treated poorly by staff and management.

The WG had one pharmacist and three techs. We had a high volume. With the dr calls, insurance problems, walkups, other calls, the service was slow and the staff was not all that great. I got yelled at all the time. I hated that job.

Options:
    I would use a mail-order deal. Just send off the scripts and wait for it at your door.

If not I would find a small family owned pharmacy that you can get to know the staff and they can get to know you. The big box places all are about $.

Now Target some krogers and even Marsh(food store like kroger) all have pharmacies. We use a marsh pharmacy. They seem to be slow in the work load and the staff is great. I would also look for a place that is not known well often you will get the family owned feeling.

I would look for an independently owned pharmacy, if possible. This way, your dollars stay in the community, and you are helping the "small guy". I try and do this whenever possible, and avoid the national chains.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the responses.

I know 2 of my scripts require extra footwork so I order early to compensate. I'm with United Healthcare so some of their policies may differ. What has to happen is the Dr. sends in the original script with refills, then the pharmacist has to fax it back to the Dr. and the Dr. has to get the approval from United. It makes no sense to me, but both doc and the pharmacy say this is the way it has to be.

I don't know of a single mom and pop pharmacy in Phoenix. If any locals know please share it with me.

I wouldn't mind the occasional mix up, but lately it's been pretty common, and like I said the doc is a friend so I know they are telling the truth.

Thanks again,

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

That's strange... I have United Health Care also. If I get a prescription from my doctor, I just go to the pharmacy and fill it. No faxes, no calls. Is it just one pharmacy in your area that does this, or all?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    That's strange... I have United Health Care also. If I get a prescription from my doctor, I just go to the pharmacy and fill it. No faxes, no calls. Is it just one pharmacy in your area that does this, or all?
    With certain prescriptions I have no problem either. Just present the script and pick up the medication.

I haven't checked any other pharmacy's but I trust the Dr. I'm on ambien for sleep. It's approved as an occasional drug but if you take it for more than a month the insurance co. needs paperwork from your doctor. I've been on it for years now, otherwise I dont' sleep or I have to over medicate the others to get to sleep. Why they need it every month is a mystery.

The Dr. told me he got it approved for a year, but they have to do it this way every month on the ambien and the Soma (I think).

The Dr. has gone over and above for me several times now. The pharmacy staff just keep blaming the doctors office. The pharmacy gets a notice that a fax was sent, but apparently it's not always getting there.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

I keep going to WalGreens...I don't know why...they have screwed up my px's on several occasions...I guess I go there because of the national computer system...if we travel, I can easily get to my meds...the local store IS close, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    CVS Pharmacy has been absolutely great in my area.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I had to switch to CVS when my local Bi-Lo store was bought and dismantled by an arbitrage group from Texas (otherwise a great state, but those individuals are bums IMHO). CVS has been great for me as well.

Mom & Pop The Only Way To Go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links