Am I too old fashioned about some things?

This is a discussion on Am I too old fashioned about some things? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you have young children involved in your life in any way, than I am sure you know about the cartoon series "Go Diego, Go" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I too old fashioned about some things?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

If you have young children involved in your life in any way, than I am sure you know about the cartoon series "Go Diego, Go" which is a bump off of "Dora the explorer".

My 3 year old daughter loves both series, and up until now I have been happy with the educational aspect of them. I have even had to pay attention to the spanish part because my daughter was becoming fluent with the basics that were taught.

Today, I sat down and watched "Go Diego, Go" with her today. The episode was about when an iguana eats strawberries, it passes the seeds and they will grow.

Now I understand that this is a natural process. I learned it in school. I witnessed the process on the ranch. I don't have a problem with that.

However, I don't think it is appropriate for a young preschool children's animated series to show the process of an animated lizard defecating and the seeds are then shown growing in the animated feces.

I quickly changed the channel and had to explain to my daughter that what they were showing was inappropriate. Of course, she being only 3, didn't understand nor showed any inclination to understand.

Am I just too old fashioned?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I won't even let my kids watch it at all. If they watch something, it needs to be in the language that speak. If I want them to learn a foreign language, we will choose which language and teach it to them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

My kids are a bit old for those shows, but while it might raise my eyebrow, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Like you said, it's just nature. One of these days you kid will end up at a zoo and see monkeys flinging poo, or the giraffes mating.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Ask the map, He will know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I must be old fashioned too...... Nothing wrong with an entertaining program that has an educational component to it, but there's no need to go down that particular road. Sometimes I just wonder...... why?!

I think you did the right thing - I would have turned the channel too.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Administrator
    I would be far more concerned with any subtle brainwash type hidden agendas that get conveniently tucked into the shows that kids view on TV these days than any living creature doing what is common naturally to all living creatures.
    That is exactly how some plants propagate themselves so no need to dumb your kid down on it. Just my personal opinion on that one.
    In some countries kids at age 3 and 4 are already quite adept at safely handling a machete.
    Not suggesting that you school your kid in knife handling at age 3 but, merely stating a known fact.

The ultimate decision is yours of course (as it should be) as you are the parent with the final word.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Even 3-year-olds (maybe especially 3-year-olds), know about poop. It's natural, it's ubiquitous, there's nothing "bad" about it.

Since you asked the question, no I don't think you're too old-fashioned. In fact, it was old-fashioned for kids to spend time out in nature, observing animals. If your daughter were growing up on a farm, she'd have even more natural processes to talk about and ask questions about.

In your case, it's cartoon poop that makes you uncomfortable, rather than having to explain what the nanny goat and billy goat were up to in the barnyard. Maybe you're a bit too modern, or maybe just too urban.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Are we talking about dookie here? Feces occurs. I'm not here to stir the poop or anything--most of us are old fashioned about something or other, but poop don't bother me---it's those feminine hygiene commercials that always come on at supper-time that get me, they're not explicit or anything, it's just-well-just not a real good time to discuss poop like that. Know what I mean? By the way---how would you explain---------------------------------------------------:)
    rather than having to explain what the nanny goat and billy goat were up to in the barnyard

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    TV is the problem. The masses are brainwashed by the subtle advertising that claims fact. Who cares about the lizard poo. That's natural and normal and isn't innappropriate. However, the lies and manipulation of society for the gain of the select few is.

I would not allow my children to watch ANY TV at all. My wife and I don't watch TV. I also find I have much more knowledge than my friends and co-workers that waste their time watching TV while I'm at the computer reading, interacting, and learning about all sorts of different things.

Indeed--I agree completely--television just fills the mind with poo. Just look at all the poopie people out there talking poop everyday. I say stop the poopyness!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    If you have young children involved in your life in any way, than I am sure you know about the cartoon series "Go Diego, Go" which is a bump off of "Dora the explorer".

My 3 year old daughter loves both series, and up until now I have been happy with the educational aspect of them. I have even had to pay attention to the spanish part because my daughter was becoming fluent with the basics that were taught.

Today, I sat down and watched "Go Diego, Go" with her today. The episode was about when an iguana eats strawberries, it passes the seeds and they will grow.

Now I understand that this is a natural process. I learned it in school. I witnessed the process on the ranch. I don't have a problem with that.

However, I don't think it is appropriate for a young preschool children's animated series to show the process of an animated lizard defecating and the seeds are then shown growing in the animated feces.

I quickly changed the channel and had to explain to my daughter that what they were showing was inappropriate. Of course, she being only 3, didn't understand nor showed any inclination to understand.

Am I just too old fashioned?
    Too bad that isn't the worst thing on TV nowadays.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Animated growing poo?

It's still better than Barney.

My wife and I stopped watching network television several years ago, because, quite frankly, we were both thoroughly disgusted by the trendy, politically correct, and morally despicable conduct being promoted by that great bastion of liberalism otherwise known as the entertainment industry... And this includes the news media as well.

In the evening, we watch VHS or DVD movies that are free of annoying advertisements, and objectionable content Hollyweird laces most of their new releases with.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I can't be happy if I cannot watch King Of The Hill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links