Mexico Vacation

Mexico Vacation

This is a discussion on Mexico Vacation within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mexican homicides jump 47 pct.; 1,378 die in '08 By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO, Associated Press Writer Fri May 23, 8:43 PM ET Homicides related to ...

Thread: Mexico Vacation

Mexico Vacation

Mexican homicides jump 47 pct.; 1,378 die in '08 By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO, Associated Press Writer
    Fri May 23, 8:43 PM ET

Homicides related to organized crime jumped 47 percent in 2008, Mexico's attorney general said Friday in a rare confirmation of how bad violence has become.

Police later made two gruesome discoveries in northern Mexico. Five bodies two of them decapitated were found wrapped in blankets in a city on the border with Texas, along with two heads in sacks. In another state, police found four severed heads in ice chests along a highway.

Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora told Radio Formula that 1,378 people have been killed so far this year, compared with 940 in the same period last year.

The statistic reflected what many in Mexico already knew: Drug-related killings have soared in recent months.

But the details were the first official snapshot on the rise in killings. The Mexican government has been reluctant to release homicide statistics, leaving the public to rely on informal tallies by the news media.

Medina Mora broke that silence, saying 4,152 people have been killed since President Felipe Calderon took office in December 2006 and declared war on drug cartels that controlled entire regions of Mexico. About 450 of those were police, soldiers, prosecutors or investigators.

Medina Mora said many of the recent killings have been concentrated along the U.S. border, while homicides in the central part of the nation have subsided.

The government says the violence reflects drug gangs' desperation amid the nationwide crackdown, carried out by more than 20,000 soldiers and federal police.

"Evidently when they are cornered and weakened, they have to respond with violence," Medina Mora said.

Analysts say recent arrests have created a power vacuum and gangs are battling for valuable drug routes and territory.

One of the hardest-hit cities is Ciudad Juarez, where the five wrapped bodies were found on a street corner. A message found with the corpses read "this is what happens to traitors who align themselves with Chapo Guzman," a reference to reputed Sinaloa drug cartel chief Joaquin Guzman.

A recent e-mail warning of a weekend bloodbath has alarmed many residents of the city across from El Paso, Texas.

Nobody seems to know who wrote the e-mail, which says gunmen will fire at malls, restaurants and other public places in "killings all over the city." But many people have forwarded it to friends.

Juarez Police Chief Roberto Orduna said the threats must be taken seriously and issued a news release Thursday assuring residents that police would be more vigilant.

More than 200 people have been killed so far this year in Juarez.

Police found the four severed heads in ice chests outside a highway convenience store in the northern state of Durango, along with unspecified threatening messages, the state government said. The bodies were not found, and the victims were not identified.
    I would seriously thinik twice about going to mexico border towns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

OK...strike the Jamaican AND Mexican vacations...
    Wasn't planning on one anyway!

Even parts of FL have become places TO BE ARMED and AWARE...

The world is not a place to 'wander in white'...yellowish-orange must be the only color for moments outside of 'sleeping'...

Stay armed...choose your colors wisely...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am familiar with concealed carry in my home state of Texas and the states I travel into. What about international travel? What are the restrictions/rules laws when going on vacation? Cozumel, Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, etc.? The rules are fairly well spelled out in the states but I am not certain what they are in tourist areas outside the US. Next year, we may be going to Milan (Italy).

Quote Originally Posted by gljaxon View Post
    I am familiar with concealed carry in my home state of Texas and the states I travel into. What about international travel? What are the restrictions/rules laws when going on vacation? Cozumel, Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, etc.? The rules are fairly well spelled out in the states but I am not certain what they are in tourist areas outside the US. Next year, we may be going to Milan (Italy).
    You cannot have a gun in mexico. period. You are only asking for trouble if you bring a weapon there. mexico is a vile corrupt cesspool, best to avoid it. I have travelled from ciudad juarez to puerto vallarta, the place basically sucks. The regular folks were by and large decent and civil but anyone in authority is not to be trusted. Spent three days in cozumel once and that was ok. Find a better vacation spot.

EW3
    One round of 9mm will land you in jail in Mexico. 9mm is considered a "military" round and not for the general public.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

If I ever want a real Mexican vacation, I'll just pitch a tent right down the street at Home Depot. You'll see authentic Mexican people plus you can even drink the water

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

As a general rule: You will not be able to carry outside of the US. There are very limited exceptions (sporting events for example, military). But even then: Be very careful that you exactly understand the rules.

See a couple earlier posts here about people getting arrested after making a wrong turn and ending up in Mexico (and a mexican jail) by mistake.

Links