The survivalist mindset

This is a discussion on The survivalist mindset within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read an article in this morning's newspaper about people becoming more self sufficient due to the falling economy and rising gas prices. People are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The survivalist mindset

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

The survivalist mindset

I read an article in this morning's newspaper about people becoming more self sufficient due to the falling economy and rising gas prices. People are moving out to the country, and growing their own food. It got me thinking, could the World as we know it come to an end due to our strong dependence on oil? I know if Western civilization collapsed into chaos I wouldn't want to be without sufficient amounts of water, food, and of course ammo to keep the desperate crowds away. The more the prices rise, the more I believe this could happen in our lifetime.

I've started to give thought to save empty soda and juice bottles and fill them with water, and set them in a safe place for when this does happen, and buy a few boxes of ammo per week. I know we all believe in preparation, but one side of me is saying "You're paranoid", and another side of me says "Be prepared."

I am fortunate to be still living with my parents, and don't have many expenses because of it, but I have a feeling in the next 5-10 years we could see our world collapse into complete lawlessness, so I want to be ready. What are your thoughts on this?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    If you are paranoid, so what? If you are under prepared, then what? If you start your supply cabinet, the worst thing that could happen is you rotate your stock. Filling soda cans with water won't help. Wally World sells cases of 24 bottles of (their brand) water for less than $4. Add one of those, a few canned good here & there to your weekly ammo purchase and you're on your way. Sterno & a Coleman propane stove should be on your list too.

Will the world as we know it end? I doubt it. Will our way of life change? Highly probable.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Look what happened with Katrina? All we would need is for terrorists to plant several well-placed nuke devices or some heavy duty bio/chem devices in multiple major cities...watch all hell break loose for a while, anyway.
    Heck, when we have hurricane 'warnings', try finding water, batteries, and other assorted items...what would happen with a more serious scenario?
    Most people have food and water for the week...if the supply were to be temporarily cut off...better be able to defend your home. It doesn't take much for some individuals to loot and burn, as we have all witnessed in past years.
    In dreaded times...people WILL panic...

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe! OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1943 - 2009
    If the situation deteriorates to the point you're describing, you're living in one of the best places on the planet to deal with it.

Alaska, The Last Frontier. (Wish I'd never left)!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Anyone who believes that this country can continue on it's present course without severe repercussions is either naive or ignorant IMO

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    Anyone who believes that this country can continue on it's present course without severe repercussions is either naive or ignorant IMO
    Our present course. You mean the strongest economy in world? The highest standard of living? Virtually full employment? The producer of the world's food supply? Educational opportunities for everyone? The world's strongest military? The technological leader?

The envy of the world?

Call me naive and ignorant but this is the greatest country on Earth with the best future potential of an society.

What are these severe reperucussions to our continued success? That the poorest among us won't have cell phones, DVDs, IPODS, two cars and cable TV?

These threads always amaze me...

You will never suffer being LESS dependant on the goverment, only more. The goverment wants you to join the system...Neo.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Our present course. You mean the strongest economy in world? The highest standard of living? Virtually full employment? The producer of the world's food supply? Educational opportunities for everyone? The world's strongest military? The technological leader?

The envy of the world?

Call me naive and ignorant but this is the greatest country on Earth with the best future potential of an society.

What are these severe reperucussions to our continued success? That the poorest among us won't have cell phones, DVDs, IPODS, two cars and cable TV?

ANYONE can live like a king, as long as the credit keeps flowing.....

What happens when the collection agencies start calling, though?

Senior Moderator
    What amazes me are the people that say "it cant happen here" that will be little more cannon fodder when it does happen.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Funny people focus on the first bit of surviving, but if you plan for the long haul, a background in gardening, blacksmith, woodwork and machining will be worthwhile.

I don't think it's a bad thing to be prepared for a disaster. I've lived on or near the Gulf coast for most of my life, and it's something you need to think about. I do have a problem with those who gleefully predict the collapse of civilization, and are actually hoping for it to occur. Just like the religious sects who who can hardly wait for the mythical "end of days", and would be happy to hasten it along.

Get to work and contribute something to the society instead of praying for its destruction. I have a lot more confidence in the United States of America than those who predict its imminent demise.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    What amazes me are the people that say "it cant happen here" that will be little more cannon fodder when it does happen.
    I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm saying it is such a low probability event that it can be discounted. Yes, there might be localized problems such as Katrina or an attack by our enemies but to think we will descend into a Mad Max world is sheer nonsense.

That said, being prepared for the worst is never a bad idea. But to spend one's time contemplating TEOTHWAWKI situations is a real waste of time that could otherwise be spent productively.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Get to work and contribute something to the society instead of praying for its destruction. I have a lot more confidence in the United States of America than those who predict its imminent demise.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post

The envy of the world?

I would if it wasn't against forum rules...JK
    None of us are gypsy's so we don't know!!
    I will say 5 years from now your way of life as you currently know it, will change for the worse...JMO
    History has shown us, man is not a stable creature!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I'm saying it is such a low probability event that it can be discounted.
    I think the probability is higher now than it has ever been. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. The Federal Government has been spending lots of time,effort and money to be able to remain viable in a SHTF scenario. Apparently they dont think its a probablilty so low that it can be discounted.

But to spend one's time contemplating TEOTHWAWKI situations is a real waste of time that could otherwise be spent productively.
    Actually, I'd rather contemplate it now, because when and if it happens wont be the time for contemplation.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links