The President's Own - Page 2

The President's Own

This is a discussion on The President's Own within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; David in FL said it well. I am not saying they don't serve their country. They deserve the same respect of any military member...they just ...

View Poll Results: Are the President's Own REAL Marines?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I am a civilian

9 13.43%
  • Yes, and I am military/former military.

26 38.81%
  • Yes, and I am a Marine/former Marine.

9 13.43%
  • No, and I am a civilian.

10 14.93%
  • No, and I am military/former military.

10 14.93%
  • No, and I am a Marine/former Marine.

3 4.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The President's Own

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    David in FL said it well.

I am not saying they don't serve their country. They deserve the same respect of any military member...they just haven't earned the title Marine.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Earned isn't what it was... remember the Army giving everbody a beret now... so the green beret isn't what it was..
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Distinguished Member
    The oldest guy in my plt was in the Band. Looking for my Boot Camp book to find his name...

In the chapel services he played every musical instrument offered to him. I seem to recall that he sang well too.

The night before graduation the SDI told us that he was leaving to join "The President's Own."

The members I knew in the III MEF Band went to boot camp. Several of them were working to make it into "The President's Own."

IMO the answer is yes they are Marines, but they do not have a Warrior Ethos instilled and bred from tough training and shared hardship and thus are not part of the Warrior Clan.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

If they give their service, they are Marines...let's not quibble about what the job is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I knew one, he went through boot in '95. I couldn't speak for the rest of 'em but there's one at least.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Isn't one of the Marine standards, "Every Marine a rifleman first" or something along those lines?

Doesn't seem to work out exactly that way, then.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I believe they are serving their country in a way. But as I understand it the Marines don't let you call yourself a Marine until you pass the Crucible, am I correct or wrong?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

How dare you try to question whether a fellow Marine should be considered a 'True Marine.' or a 'true service member'.

I ran the Nuclear Reactors for the Navy. I never once shot a rifle or pistol the ENTIRE time I was in. I also spent 14 months in the Gulf, was part of deterring numerous attempt as attacking our ship, and saved the lives of a lot of Marines by ensuring their air support was able to get there in time.

Just because I wasn't on the ground makes me 'Not a Real Serviceman'? Well, I seem to recall several medals I got for saving the lives of people on the ground.

You, of all people, should know how much of a sacrifice each and every one of us goes through to serve our country. If the United States Marine Corps decides that a person is better suited to being part of the President's Own, than carrying a rifle on the front line and you disagree, well, I don't know what to say. I guess the military has 'came a long way since I got out.'

I did the best job I could, and I did a job not everybody could do. I did it safely. I performed it efficiently. And I don't feel like I have served my country any less than you have just because the military utilized me for a different purpose than what the military utilized you for.

So as far as your poll, I voted, "Yes, and I am military/former military."
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Here's my main question, after a statement.

If the Corps calls them Marines then they are Marines. BUT what I am wondering, and I am not a Marine historian, is why the Marines would A) have a group that do not qualify as 90% of the Corps does to earn the name of Marine or B) why wouldn't they require them to do Boot Camp to earn the title of Marine like 90% of the rest of the Corps?

Can a Devil Dog fill me in, in my ignorance of the Corps and its traditions and history?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I believe they are serving their country in a way. But as I understand it the Marines don't let you call yourself a Marine until you pass the Crucible, am I correct or wrong?
    I'd say you are wrong. I was 1969-1971 and there was no Crucible. Does that mean those of us with grey hair aren't Marines?

I say these folks are Marines. They did the same thing all of us did -- followed orders and went through the training required for our MOS. As far as their going in as an E-6, they didn't write the rules. Who turns down extra money? They are serving our country and I thank them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I'd say you are wrong. I was 1969-1971 and there was no Crucible. Does that mean those of us with grey hair aren't Marines?

I say these folks are Marines. They did the same thing all of us did -- followed orders and went through the training required for our MOS. As far as their going in as an E-6, they didn't write the rules. Who turns down extra money? They are serving our country and I thank them for that.
    I am not a Marine historian...

Can a Devil Dog fill me in, in my ignorance of the Corps and its traditions and history?
    As I stated before, I am not a Marine historian nor do I know all of the history and traditions of the Corps (like when the Crucible was started), so I asked the question to learn more about an aspect of a branch of military I am not that familiar with.

I agree that anyone who is in the service and that particular service counts them as one of their own then by that alone they should be considered full Marine, Airman, Soldier, Sailor. But the main question I still have is why they are not required to complete Boot Camp like other Marines?

-Paco

But the main question I still have is why they are not required to complete Boot Camp like other Marines?

I suspect it's because the Marine Corps doesn't feel that they could otherwise attract the level of professional musician they need if they required that they (the musicians) attend, and successfully complete boot camp.

As I noted in my previous post, there are members of "The Marine Band" that did attend boot camp and served in various other billets/bands throughout the Corps before being selected for service with "The President's Own". Those Marines serve side by side with those that were enlisted directly into the "The Marine Band".

That makes sense, I guess it would be difficult to recruit a trumpet player who could go out and get a recording contract to play for the Corps, but oh yeah you have to go through Boot where you could very possibly get injured; including your hands.

-Paco

As an aside, for those that happen to be in Washington DC over the summer, an absolute must see is the evening parade at the Marine Barracks at 8th and I. You'll see both the Marine Band and the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team. Starts at 7pm and I believe admission is still free.

Words simply can't describe the experience.

Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links