The President's Own

The President's Own

This is a discussion on The President's Own within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got in an argument with my girlfriend over this. I don't consider "The President's Own" to be real Marines. They haven't earned the title. ...

View Poll Results: Are the President's Own REAL Marines?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I am a civilian

9 13.43%
  • Yes, and I am military/former military.

26 38.81%
  • Yes, and I am a Marine/former Marine.

9 13.43%
  • No, and I am a civilian.

10 14.93%
  • No, and I am military/former military.

10 14.93%
  • No, and I am a Marine/former Marine.

3 4.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

The President's Own

I got in an argument with my girlfriend over this. I don't consider "The President's Own" to be real Marines. They haven't earned the title. They simply join up, are instantly promoted to E-6, and administratively called Marines. They don't go to bootcamp, they aren't trained riflemen (Every Marine is a basic rifleman first), etc. She watched a thing on TV and insists that they are real Marines and earned the title because "they have the same standards and had to do a lot of paperwork". Just curious how everyone else feels.

From Wikipedia:
    Musicians in the Marine Band are selected through a rigorous audition procedure. Candidates who satisfy the musical audition must meet security and physical requirements, and then are enlisted into the Marine Corps with four year contracts. Since the Marine Corps band has no combat mission and members are non-transferrable, musicians are not required to attend boot camp. Musicians are given the rank of staff sergeant upon joining.

From usmc.mil:

Are the musicians members of the U.S. Marine Corps?
    Yes. Marines of “The President’s Own” take the same oath, enlist for the same initial four-year term, are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, receive the same pay and allowances, and adhere to the same height and weight standards as other enlisted Marines of their grade.

Why are members enlisted as Staff Sergeants (Grade E-6)?
    Because of the many years invested in their musical education, members of “The President’s Own” enlist in the Marine Corps already trained to perform at the high level of skill required. It would be difficult for the Marine Corps to recruit individuals who possess such expertise (many hold bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in their field) at salaries dramatically lower than what they could be expected to earn in the private sector.

What is the highest rank that members may attain?
    Master Gunnery Sergeant (Grade E-9) is the highest rank received by members of “The President’s Own,” however, exceptional individuals sometimes have the opportunity to assume leadership positions within the organization. Through appointment to the offices of Director, Assistant Director, Executive Assistant to the Director, and Operations Officer, these outstanding members may receive officer candidacy.

Why aren’t members sent to recruit training (boot camp)?
    “The President’s Own” has no tactical or combat mission; its mission is to provide music to the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Marines in “The President’s Own” are among the most expert musicians and professionals in the world and are recruited from renowned colleges, universities, and conservatories worldwide. They are highly skilled in both performance ability and knowledge of musical subjects; for this reason, musicians and professionals who are selected for the Marine Band and subsequent enlistment in the Marine Corps are considered highly-trained for performance of their duties.

Upon enlistment, a Marine Band member signs a standard four-year enlistment contract and reports directly to Marine Barracks Washington equipped with the training needed to immediately begin performance of his or her primary duty: “to provide music and such other functions as are directed by the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps.” Upon arrival at Marine Barracks Washington, newly recruited members of the band undergo a 4-6 week period of military instruction conducted by the Assistant Drum Major to ensure each member is equipped to begin their Marine Corps career.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That's a tough one. Technically they are Marines. But for all practical purposes they are not.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm trying to think of any other examples in other service's...where someone doesn't have to at least attend basic training/officer school.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Who cares ?

They wear the same uniform. They follow the same rules and regulations.
    They salute the same flag. What difference does it make? They get their training up front..it just isnt quite the same as the rest of the military.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    First off I am a retired AF E-8. IMO, yes in my opinion they are Marines. They took the same oath we all took when we joined the military. They are subject to the same UCMJ laws we were. Granted they did not attend boot camp. However it is not a requirement for their MOS. Ad far as being enlisted at a higher rank than normal, that is not something unusual. Many professionals are enlisted at higher ranks. Doctors and some nurses are enlisted as Captains. I believe some lawyers enter the service as Captains as well. I also think it would be safe to say that if the SHTF and they were needed, they would have a weapon thrust in their hand and given a quick course on how to use it.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Who cares ?

They wear the same uniform. They follow the same ruls and regulations.
    They salute the same flag. What difference does it make? They get their training up front..it just isnt quite the same as the rest of the military.
    I guess someone does...

I also think there are certain wickets that all should attend...regardless of rank on entry.

Rick

Administrator
    I knew a guy that was a drummer in "The President's Own"... I'm positive he went to boot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I voted yes, I am former military.

I say they are real Marines, but they just arent the Devil Dawgs you combat Marines are. Face it, someone has to do the brown-nose duties, spit polishing rear eschelon crap.

The Marines have the best band of all the services and absolutely the finest drill and ceremony soldiers on the planet. Let them be good at what they do.

You combat Marines are the hardest charging meanest men on the face of the Earth.

You guys shine in that respect and will always be more respected.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Moderator
    I'm positive he went to boot.
    I was thinking that too. Although it could have changed when Bubba Bill and Hiltery took over and then the military went to"dont ask dont tell" and woman went to combat status.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

No.

But only a real Marine is allowed to say so!

Administrator
    Let me tell ya'll a little bit about my buddy who joined the Marines as a drummer...

He is a little squeaky kinda guy, not someone you would ever guess wanted to join the military out of school at all. He was about 105# soaking wet, and he probably couldn't hurt a fly if he wanted too. All through school he was the runt, I think he was a premature baby.
    He knew this, and knew that he wouldn't fair well in the military, just because of his size, interests etc. He is a hell of a musician, and a hell of a nice guy too, just not the military type.
    But, he wanted to do something to serve his country, like a lot of us who ran together in school. So he did. He used his talent and hard work to join the most elite band in the land, and he has traveled the world playing in that band, and served under three presidents. To me, that is something to be proud of, and if the Marines say he is a Marine, then I guess that makes him a Marine.

Also, the Marines came to him, offered him the rank etc., to play for them. They had the better deal over the other branches at the time, he would have been a fool to turn them down.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    To me, that is something to be proud of, and if the Marines say he is a Marine, then I guess that makes him a Marine.
    There ya have it...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

1943 - 2009
    They don't go to bootcamp, they aren't trained riflemen
    Don't know about nowadays, but I believe they did, and were, some 45 years ago.

My college forestry professor enlisted for the Marine Band and went to boot camp (Parris Island) & qualified expert with the M1 Garand.

When youre wounded and left on Afghanistans plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Don't know about nowadays, but I believe they did, and were, some 45 years ago.

My college forestry professor enlisted for the Marine Band and went to boot camp (Parris Island) & qualified expert with the M1 Garand.

It's worth mentioning that there are many bands in the Marine Corps. Each major command has one and musician is a valid MOS. Most musicians in the Marine Corps attend boot camp and are trained in the same manner as every other Marine out there. Band members serve in the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and in addition to their duties as musicians, they qualify with weapons and carry out other collateral duties, including security duties, as does any other Marine. They are, by any definition Marines.......

The Marine Band, also known as The President's Own is different and completely separate. While some of the aforementioned musicians may eventually be selected to serve with that band, the vast majority are exceptional, professional caliber musicians who, as previously noted, enlist directly into the band. They may be serving side by side with Marines that enlisted, attended boot camp and have served in the FMF. While I have the greatest admiration for the talent and the dedication of all those that serve in The Marine Band, I'll reserve the title of Marine for those members that earned it, and in whom I'd personally place my trust in combat.

Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I see no reason to discount the service of Marines who serve to uphold tradition, pride, and morale, or even to entertain the commander-in-chief. Was John Philip Sousa not serving his country when he composed Semper Fidelis (the official march of the USMC)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links