I Remember When................... - Page 2

I Remember When...................

This is a discussion on I Remember When................... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "...and we were all sure we would have flying cars when we grew up..." I'm still waiting for those. The 21st Century has been a ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    "...and we were all sure we would have flying cars when we grew up..."

I'm still waiting for those. The 21st Century has been a disappointment.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I also remember being my dad's remote control, tv went off, MJ was a handsome black kid, the fan would blow the newscaster's notes off. Man, what happened?

VIP Member
    Just remembered these to.
    Soda bottles has crimped on caps, with cork under them to keep them from leaking.
    Remember my dad working on his 49 Studebaker Champion.
    Remember rotary dial phones and party lines.
    Baseball cards in the spokes of my bike.
    Snowball fights in the winter and no one getting arrested because of it.

I remember that my first job was pumping gas at 28 cents a gallon, which included cleaning the windshield, checking the oil and water and the air in the tires, all with a smile and a yes sir/ yes ma'm. I thought I was well paid at $1.25 an hour too.

Ron

interesting times.. Sounds like not many my age but I remember$.86 gal. gas to ride my kitty kat in the yard and thinking my parents new pager's were high-tech.. miss those days.. getting to ride along with my dad up to the gas station and listening to him and his friends talk.. now you go to the gas station or anywhere and they can't even understand them

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I remember cassett tapes, and when PLUTO was a planet. LOL I have always wanted to say that. Thanks for the opertunity.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

VIP Member
    Buying 5 real-sized hamburgers for a dollar.

TV test patterns from midnight til 6:00 am. Remember the one with the silhouette of an Indian chief?

Motor oil in those glass bottles w/metal spouts at the gas station. Also oil in the paper qt. cans that would be on sale for 3 for a dollar.

Listening to AM radio because pretty much nothing was on FM.

Early McDonalds peeled the potatoes in a machine in the kitchen and the french fries still had some pieces of the potato skin on them.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Ok. Now I'll really date myself. I remember 45, 78 and 33 1/3 records. 8 track tapes, beta cassette systems, and almost forgot laser disc's.
    TV video game made bt Atari (remember how high tech Pong was?)

VIP Member
    I remember when the military could actually drop bombs on our nations enemies. Now we have to coddle them and make sure everyone is happy instead.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

How about round screen black & white television and before that sitting around listening to "The Shadow" on the radio. Hand cranked ice cream with home made apple pie. Drive-in restaurants (similar to Sonic) that had waitresses come out and take your order. There's much more to reminisce about but those days are long gone.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

This'll be from left field. I can remember being able to rent a Cessna 150 for 18.00 / hour. My first 172 went for 32.00 per hour. And that was fuel included. I can remember riding my bike to the airport on weekends to wash airplanes for rides. That drove my mom nuts. The airport was on the other side of town.

I remember clamp on metal wheel roler skates. I remember the first scateboards were a metal wheel clamp on skate split in half nailed onto a 2x4 about 2ft long. I remember downhill racing on home made go cart, wagon wheels and 2x4s. home made scooter skate, 2x4, and apple box (wooden box). I remember when the expensive fishing pole was made of fiberglass and the cheep ones were made of wood or a round piece of bamboo.

I remember hay rides and barn dances. Grange dances were a big date.
    Pow Wows and rodeos usually turned into a big Cowboy and Indian brawl.
    I remember when it was illegal to attend a Sun Dance and Lakota language was still forbidden to be spoke in school.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Got a chuckle out of that one...mine was a TI-50, with very small red numerals...$200...to replace my slide ruler (now how many remember a slide ruler?) or doing math the old fashion way...with a pencil.
    I still have my slide rule! And, $.28/gallon, plus full service PLUS a free glass, or plate, or other goodie to entice you into the gas station. Candy was a nickel, the NY City Subway was $.10, and I remember this one vividly:

Two slices of pizza and a Coke, for $.50, and the movies were $.75 and you got a double-feature AND you could stay all day!

I could go on and on, but I will get all teary-eyed and start missing those innocent 1950's.

Signed,
    Leave-it-to-Beaver!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    I remember cassett tapes
    How about 8-track tapes! And am AM radio only in the car!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    This'll be from left field. I can remember being able to rent a Cessna 150 for 18.00 / hour. My first 172 went for 32.00 per hour. And that was fuel included. I can remember riding my bike to the airport on weekends to wash airplanes for rides. That drove my mom nuts. The airport was on the other side of town.

That beats me. When I first started flying, my Cessna 152, Tail# 68920 was $35/hour wet (with fuel), and the 172 was $55.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links