I Remember When...................

This is a discussion on I Remember When................... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I remember walking to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Remember When...................

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I remember walking to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    TV test patterns from midnight til 6:00 am. Remember the one with the silhouette of an Indian chief?
    Sorry to keep posting, but memories keep flooding back. See what you started!

Here are those TV test patterns:

YouTube - Classic TV test Patterns
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I remember walking to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways.
    OK, c'mon now... I can understand the bare feet in the snow, how can it be uphill both ways?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

When I walked to Pine Grove school, you either had to walk over the high hill or go around it. If you went around you went down from the house then up to the school. If you went over the big hill(shorter) you went up the hill then down to the school. so either way you went it was uphill. It was 5 miles to the school, but I didn't have to go barefooted, we wore Moccasins.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I remember getting my huge $2 weekly allowance (in exchange for chores) on Saturday morning and immediately going to buy the latest Hardy Boys book, and a butterscotch sundae, and having a dime left over.

I remember when the fight was OVER when someone hit the ground.

I remember when girls and women were treated with respect.

I remember being the TV reception apprentice engineer, making fine adjustments to the rabbit ears at my dad's direction. Come to think of it, I was the "remote control", as well.

I remember when a 19-inch color TV was a LUXURY.

I also remember when my junk mail consisted of credit card offers and sales papers, now they are full of Alzheimers, prostate, and that blue pill stuff. I also remember when I had hair to brush.

Guess this tells my age - or close to it

I remember dad and mom buying a TV in 1959 when the only two channels we received were from Cheyenne and Scottsbluff, NE. It was a Motorola with a round picture tube. It was purchased from a local dealer who had been a Jap POW in WW2, when he left the repair and selling business he did so because he could no longer deal with any US built sets.

Gas was about $0.15 at that time. The local Texaco station was the first around with the automatic shutoff nozzles. If you got a fill-up and the pump stopped at $1.11, $2.22, $3.33, $4.44, or heave forbid $5.55 your tank was full. While the pump was pumping away your tires were checked, anti-freeze was checked, all windows and headlights/taillights were washed, hoses and belts checked, etc.

A few years later I would ride my three speed English Racer that came from Monkey Wards to a friends farm carrying an Iver Johnson 16 ga single shot for a day of pheasant hunting.

A bunch of us built a raft for an irrigation canal with plans of going for a ride to New Orleans if we could get up stream to the Laramie River and then down the North Platte and on the Missouri and Mississippi.

I took my driver license test in a 1958 Rambler American with a "three on the tree" transmission. My first car was a 1962 Pontiac Tempest with a four cylinder which was one bank of a 389. I went from that to a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury.

July 4th picnics in the city park - a couple of uncles would camp out over night to make sure we go the best areas. Those same uncles would not hesitate to belt any of us if we got a little out of line.

All in all - they were the good old days!
    Last edited by Wyoming; May 26th, 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Update Information
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

I remember when Bill Gates said "640K of memory should
    be enough for anybody.'' even though he denies it. I remember plugging a keyboard into an 8" television and getting out my magnetic tape drive to program tic-tac-toe in basic and being amazed that I could actually store information on a tape.

I remember 8 track players and I still have a few.

I remember whippings from the principal at school that would now make front page news, nationwide.

And I remember saying if gas ever reached a dollar a gallon, I was going to stop driving...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    How about round screen black & white television and before that sitting around listening to "The Shadow" on the radio. Hand cranked ice cream with home made apple pie. Drive-in restaurants (similar to Sonic) that had waitresses come out and take your order. There's much more to reminisce about but those days are long gone.
    You guys got me started. I was going to duck and hide on this one but...

"The Shadow" knows!

I remember my grandfather listening to the radio during WWII and trying to figure out were the sons, son-in-law, cousin, nephews, etc might be. The stars in the windows. Rationing (not too bad on country folk -- we eat well).

Women and kids on one side and men on the other --with spittoon boxes of sand under the pews on the men's side at Church.

My first pocket knife, at six.

My first real gun, at eight.

Carrying a knife to school, always.

Three cent First Class mail.

Don't ever remember a candy bar or a pop out in the country.

Later --

The "Lone Ranger", "Fibber McGee & Molly" "Captain Midnight" and of course "The Shadow" on the radio -- provided the chores and homework was done.

Still later --

A trip to see the first TV in the area -- about a four inch screen with a big magnifying glass in front of it.

Then high-school, after moving to town --

The gas wars gas at 7 or 8 cents a gallon.

In the Marines --

Cigarettes at $1 a carton (or $1.10 for filters) and/or you got them in your rations.

The isolation when deployed. No two-way electronic communication. Letters from home irregularly delivered, out of sequence, etc.

Sometime I think of the changes that my father saw. Grew-up a poor farm kid. No power except muscle (mule & man), wind, and water. (Sure the train ran nearby and city and town folk had power, cars, etc -- but not a red clay dirt farmer). Lived to see a man walk on the moon. Now he could talk about "I remember when...."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

OK, I can't stop. Here are a few more I remember:

1) The doctor making house calls, and only charging $5
    2) Cough Syrup having codeine
    3) The Howdy-Doody Show
    4) Tarrytoon Circus
    5) The Nixon-Kennedy Debate on TV
    6) My family's Rambler Station Wagon

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm enjoying this nostagia!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Merle Haggard - Are the Good Times Really Over

Hear this and other Merle Haggard songs on Radio Free Texas
    Are the Good Times Really Over

I wish a buck was still silver and it was back when the country was strong.
    Back before Elvis and before the Vietnam war came along.
    Before the Beatles and yesterday when a man could still work and still would.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good ?

Are we rolliní downhill like a snowball headed for hell?
    With no kind of chance for the flag or the liberty bell?
    I wish a Ford or a Chevy would still last ten years like they should.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good?

I wish Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.
    It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
    Before Microwave ovens when a girl could still cook, and still would.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good ?

Are we rolliní downhill like a snowball headed for hell?
    With no kind of chance for the flag or the liberty bell?
    I wish a Ford or a Chevy would still last ten years like they should.
    Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good?

Stop rolliní downhill like a snowball headed for hell.
    Stand up for the flag, and letís all ring the liberty bell.
    Letís make a Ford and a Chevy thatíll still last ten years like they shouldÖ
    The best of the free life is still yet to come and the good times ainít over for good.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I remember when dirt was young;
    Gas was $.14;
    Coke was $.05;
    Elvis was a kid; and
    There were 48 states

VIP Member
    I remember watching: "You Are There" with Walter Cronkite and
    the 1956 Democratic and Republican Conventions
    I remember "Dizzy" Dean announcing major league baseball.
    I remember watching Yogi run to the mound and jump into Don Larsen's arms at the end of game 5 of the 1956 World Series.
    I also remember working for my dad and pumping .25 gas, washing windshields, checking the oil, water, battery, and tires.

There are lots more, but that's enough for now.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Wow...I'm not nearly as old as the rest of you but,

• I remember when I received my first pocket knife, my first bb gun, and my first real firearm.
    • I remember fist fights between school kids was just that, all out combat between two kids, not a group of 20 of the other kids friends, parents etc... jumping in. Not the police being called. And once the fight was over, it was settled and over with.
    • On that thought, I remember making my BEST friend during my grade school years after we beat the snot out of each other over a silly kickball game.
    • I remember when I carried a pocket knife to school every day with no outrageous repercussions.
    • I remember MASSIVE (and sometimes dangerous) snowball fights without the threat of police and lawsuits.
    • I remember when a group of us would skip school and go hangout at our local hide spots and our parents not being arrested for our delinquency.
    • I remember bb gun wars (and yes we actually had rules - go figure). Paintball? What the heck was that?
    • I remember all the neighborhood kids rounding each other up for pickup baseball, basketball, or football games in the nearest field and even sometimes in the streets.
    • I remember using broken broomstick handles and rocks for a ball and bat.
    • I remember politically un-correct saturday morning cartoons.
    • I remember when it was slower to use a credit card at the store than to write a check.
    • I remember when we paid CASH for everything.
    • I remember when a handshake was an unshakable agreement.
    • I remember spam coming in a can, NOT IN A PHONE!

I know I left some out somewhere...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I remember when you could escot your loved ones all the way to their seats inside the plane.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links