I Remember When................... - Page 5

I Remember When...................

This is a discussion on I Remember When................... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sixto mentioned newpapers delivered twice a day. How many remember the mail delivered twice a day?...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Remember When...................

VIP Member
    Sixto mentioned newpapers delivered twice a day. How many remember the mail delivered twice a day?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Sixto mentioned newpapers delivered twice a day. How many remember the mail delivered twice a day?
    I didn't even know they ever did that, let alone remember it!
    "Just blame Sixto"

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    I remember when...wait, that wasn't me. I think I might have that alz...wait, what were we talking about.

Seriously, one of my earliest memories is buying cigs for my grandfather and barely being tall enough to put the coins in the vending machine at the restaurant.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Administrator
    Copies teachers handed out of the worksheets for school were in purple ink
    "Just blame Sixto"

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And the amonia smell made your eyes water and clouded your thinking.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    That beats me. When I first started flying, my Cessna 152, Tail# 68920 was $35/hour wet (with fuel), and the 172 was $55.
    Sadly, that wasn't too long ago either. My prices were mid-80's and they didn't go up much till the mid-90's. Now, good luck finding an FBO that rents "wet" (with fuel) and for less then 125 / hr. Strangely, instructor's pay hasn't gone up. I paid 8-12/hr. when I started flying and I made 12/hr working for some of those flight schools in 2001.

VIP Member
    Metal dashboards in cars, with no padding.

Christmas trees and a manger scene on the courthouse lawn.

When lying was considered wrong.

When everyone stood as the flag passed by.

Senior Moderator
    They were made on ditto machines and they smelled funny...I used them a lot...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    Sadly, that wasn't too long ago either. My prices were mid-80's and they didn't go up much till the mid-90's. Now, good luck finding an FBO that rents "wet" (with fuel) and for less then 125 / hr. Strangely, instructor's pay hasn't gone up. I paid 8-12/hr. when I started flying and I made 12/hr working for some of those flight schools in 2001.
    Talk about time...I flew in the University of Michigan Flying Club...$6/hour...WET...
    Haven't flown since I moved to AK...1983...(left in 1990)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well I remember when postage stamps were a quarter.

A dollar could buy me a can of coke and a candy bar.

The local swimming pool was the pond at the neighboring farm, swim suits were usually cutoff jeans, and swim suits were not mandatory.

An afternoon of boys not getting into trouble usually involved cold soda in a glass bottle, a .22 rifle, a box of shells, and a pile of digger squirrels.

Pest control usually involved a .22 or a shotgun.

When you needed night crawlers to go fishing, you either remembered to go out in the yard the night before with a flashlight or you grabbed a shovel and dug some up the next day.

When you had a stray animal or predator, you took care of them with the cheap ammunition. When you had a sick animal that was a good friend, you used the good ammo to make it quick.

When dynamite and detcord were easily obtained.

When my father celebrated New Years with some friends, a couple of cases of beer, a stick of dynamite, and a bucket full of ammonium nitrate and diesel mix.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I didn't even know they ever did that, let alone remember it!
    Used to be two daily papers in Richmond, Va. I imagine you could get both delivered.
    Norfolk too.
    Big debate, do you want to read yesterdays news in the morning, or todays news when you get home from work?

I remember having only 3 tv stations and everytime the President would make a speech all the networks would cover it. I remember "The Wizard of Oz" would come on once a year and everyone would make plans weeks ahead to watch it. One bad memory is watching the Nixon trials, I had some health problems as a child so I was inside a lot, and watching those trials had to be the most boring thing ever.

I remember seeing Lee Harvey Oswald shot to death on live TV!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    +1 in town.

At the farm, we had to go get the mail. I was so proud when I was allowed to ride a mule down the RR tracks to the bridge over the creek and then walk to the PO. (Roads were a lot longer around.)

Before my time, my grandmother was the School-mom, the RR Station clerk, and the Post-mistress. The one-room school was right along the tracks across the dirt road from the RR Station/PO.

By my childhood the one-room school was closed, but when the mail-train came through the Post-mistress had the out-going mail in a bag hanging on the crane. The hook on the mail car caught it (usually) and the mail car attendant tossed the in-coming bag onto the platform. The Post-mistress would sort the mail into open slots (not boxes with doors) and you could walk in anytime during daylight to pick it up. The only time the "window" was open to buy stamps, etc was when the train was due and until she finished sorting the mail. Speaking of stamps, if you had something local, you just stuck it in that persons slot -- no stamp.

Speaking of schools, when did the schools start busing students? I never rode one. Always walked or road a bicycle. I remember them being at the HS in the '50s. But not in the country schools in the '40s.

Speaking of School buses, anyone remember when many were driven by HS students? (or better yet anyone a HS student who drove one?)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I also remember when you could actually eat the haloween candy you got, and those nasty ones in the orange or black wax paper.

I remember my "Green Machine", I miss that thing.

I also remember fist fights, that is an out dated term these days, where you would most likely end up best of friends afterwards.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links