A Walmart incident of my own..

This is a discussion on A Walmart incident of my own.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; About 3 months ago, I was stitting in my SUV waiting in line to get my oil changed at Wally World on a early Saturday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Walmart incident of my own..

About 3 months ago, I was stitting in my SUV waiting in line to get my oil changed at Wally World on a early Saturday morning. The guy that started to input my info into his little handheld thingy was a NEWBIE..GREENHORN, whatever..but he just wasn't experienced. So as I'm trying to explain to him, that when I usually come here, they scan the VIN number and it always shows the wrong oil filter in their system. So all I'm asking this guy is to put on exactly the filter he takes off and suddenly a "Senior Tech" comes out from under the oil change pit and starts asking me questions. SO I proceed to explain to him, and he wants to argue with me. Mind you, this a Walmart employee. So all I said was, look, nevermind, just rotate my tires, I'll come back when the other manager is here to get my oil changed. Oh wow, what was that for? He got seriously bent out of shape because of this and proceeded to say "I don't know why people want to come here and talk like they know what they're talking about. Of course he didn't realize I heard him, so I proceeded to ask for his manager. One thing led to another, we're in a shouting match. I refused to talk to him at this point, and this only enraged him more. SO I kindly asked him to summon his manager, which at this time, all the shop guys are onlookers, and one of them flagged the manager down to notify him of what was going on.
    Manager comes out, and I explain what's going on...the whole time the guy is in the background pacing, back and forth...getting more enraged. ALL ON CAMERA. As I proceed to tell the manager to just forget about it, the guy tells me.."that's right, you better leave...so I get in my car, and he's flipping me off, acting as if he has to be restrained. Wow, what a test of will, and patience on my part.
    I wasn't carrying at the time, I wasn't even licensed yet. But I often wonder what would have happened had I was carrying at the time, and he would've lunged at me, or swung on me. I carry a pretty large knife also, so that may have been my first line of defense, since all he had was a fullsize 3/4" Socket wrench in his hand..After all was said and done, I was contacted after many attempts by STORE MANAGEMENT and he was reprimanded, and demoted, but was not dismissed. This was a huge disappointment for me, that was totally uncalled for, and unprofessional of him. But then again, what does that tell you about Walmart and their standards.
    Had it been 10years prior, that young man would've been picking up his teeth and maybe part of his jaw off the ground. But I am a father of two now, and have grown a lot since then. But still you wonder. By the way, I'm 6'4" 325lbs, this guy couldn't have been more than 5'9" 155lbs. makes you wonder where all that courage and rage comes from...
    Anyone ever have this kind of crap happen to you in a public store, or place of business that you had to make the type of decision that makes you feel like the bigger man?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 28th, 2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Deleted 2 language workarounds.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    So, Why would you trust some bozo at Wally World to change the oil in your car?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

It's not worth it, just walk away. Whether you are armed or not, sometimes you just have to let idiots be idiots.

As far as Walmart goes, for somebody working full time trying to get ahead, a demotion and being written up DOES mean something. It means they don't get a raise for at least another year. It means he lost money because of the demotion. And it means he got a dressing down in the back rooms.

I hope you are not offended by a corporation for not inviting you to demoting an employee.

It's like anywhere else in life. Some of the guys are the salt of the earth trying to do everything they can. Some of them are idiots.

I'm glad everything worked out, and you probably got a free oil/filter change out of it, and hopefully some kid learned a lesson.

But hardly something to escalate to a shooting matter.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    So, Why would you trust some bozo at Wally World to change the oil in your car?
    Hahaha..nice question, since then I've change all 4 of my cars to another establishment. A little out of the way but a friend of mine runs the shop, so I help him out and he helps me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It's not worth it, just walk away. Whether you are armed or not, sometimes you just have to let idiots be idiots.

As far as Walmart goes, for somebody working full time trying to get ahead, a demotion and being written up DOES mean something. It means they don't get a raise for at least another year. It means he lost money because of the demotion. And it means he got a dressing down in the back rooms.

I hope you are not offended by a corporation for not inviting you to demoting an employee.

It's like anywhere else in life. Some of the guys are the salt of the earth trying to do everything they can. Some of them are idiots.

I'm glad everything worked out, and you probably got a free oil/filter change out of it, and hopefully some kid learned a lesson.

But hardly something to escalate to a shooting matter.
    No, I wasn't at all offended I wasn't there for his demotion, and now that I think about it you're right..that was a major blow to him. Even though he had been there 10 years, he got a huge bump down. I saw him about a month later, they took his badge away, he now is just a tire buster, no longer senior tech. And you're right, no need to shoot the guy for running his mouth, and trying to bite off a piece of meat he couldn't chew.

I change my own oil in both my vehicles since they are out of warranty. Before that the dealership did them, and they aren't above screwing things up even at a five star dealership--but they always made things right. I've got lifetime free balance/rotations on both my vehicles through Wally World. Yes---they can srew up a basic rotation/balance too as the weights for my truck wheels need to be stuck to the inside of the wheel and they don't adhere too well to dirt. First impressions when I saw this thread was--here goes another Wal Mart bashing. (seems popular enough on this forum) Well--maybe rightfully so, because with the volume of work they do automotive-wise, the odds are definitely stacked against them to start with. Thing is, bad experiences and things of this nature are possible anywhere you go, no matter what. Get in and get out at Wal-Mart in an hour? Take it down to Joe's garage without an appointment! It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzo View Post
    No, I wasn't at all offended I wasn't there for his demotion, and now that I think about it you're right..that was a major blow to him. Even though he had been there 10 years, he got a huge bump down. I saw him about a month later, they took his badge away, he now is just a tire buster, no longer senior tech. And you're right, no need to shoot the guy for running his mouth, and trying to bite off a piece of meat he couldn't chew.
    Well, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is a huge difference in perspective when you are looking at it from the other side of the glass.

I wish this would stop coming up. But I'll give a preview real quick(By the way, my future thread will either be entitled "Arrested at Walmart" or the "Extended Wally Walk". I'm betting on the Extended Wally Walk, title) Sorry for it to veer off topic, but here it goes.

A few weeks ago, I overheard some of my superviosrs talking about laying off personnel, some of the personnel that worked for me. But they had not asked me who I could do without or what I thought of it. At that point in time, I figured I would start looking for some part time work. I did not know what was going on, and they weren't filling me in. In the last two weeks I got a sizable raise from my company and I was filled in on some of the details, but I was already hired by Walmart as a part time employee. I am now at my second week at Walmart, and the people and the company are not that bad.

You have guys that are trying to work there way up and trying to make something of themselves. You also have idiots that claim to have a Masters, a Pilots License, or a Docterate. I'll get into that later.

But for the most part, these are guys that are just like me and you. Trying to make their way into a difficult world, and trying to make something of themselves.

If this 'guy' was working at Walmart for 10+ years and got demoted, written up, dressed down, etc, I would imagine it probably had a very large impact in his life.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have demanded something as much or more, but you have to put into prospective. Not your prospective. But his. Will a 2.00 cut in pay hurt you? Maybe, maybe not. But if you're working for 10.00 to 12.00 an hour, will a 2.00 cut in pay, a freeze on promotions, a demotion, and a write up affect you? Absolutely.

Sorry to ramble on, but I just wanted to give you a picture of what it looks like from the other side of the windshield.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Well, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but there is a huge difference in perspective when you are looking at it from the other side of the glass.
    No, sarcasm was not my goal. I really do understand your point.

the wallyworld service center here was closed down due to complaints.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Well, to answer part of your original question... being armed would not have made a single bit of difference for me unless the grease monkey threatened me with deadly force.

A firearm is always the last rung in the ladder of escalating force!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Not at Walmart but at a nearby grocery store. Not the same thing but something close. Two Saturdays ago I had to pick up some goods at the store. I have a handicap sticker hanging from my mirrow but all the handicap spots are taken. So I find a section that there are five spots open and I park second from the first spot and go in to do my shopping. When wheeling my goods to my car I notice another car parked next to mine. It was parked so close that if I opened my door all the way touching his car, I would only have about 6inches to squeze into my car and this car had two open spots on the other side of him. As I stood between the two cars shaking my head knowing I could not go in through the passenger side and climb over the console, the owner of the other car comes out and notice me shaking my head. At first I did not know this was the owner but when he reaches the front of his car he proceeds to tell me if there something he can do for me in a smart axx way. I tell him I was just wondering why he felt he needed to park so close to me where I could not get into my car. This makes him mad and now he walks between the cars and about two feet from me and yells at me that he is still in the lines. Now this is a young guy in his early twenties and I'm 53 and have had two heart attacks and have a pace maker in me and know I can not survive a hand to hand fight so I just stood there. He turned around and enter his car and drove off.

It makes me wonder if I would have the right to draw on him even though he showed no weapon or would that be brandishing. As far as being in fear of my life, I'm not sure I was but I do know I would not be able to take a blow to my chest from this young guy and if he did that it might be too late for me to draw. It was a situation I was glad to walk away from.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Well already you've put yourself in a tight spot because just by continuing to argue, you've helped escalate the situation. But hey, ya know? Nobody is perfect and I've done stuff like that myself. It happens. You just have to remember to take a deep breath and walk away. Like one person said, let them be who they want to be.

On a side note, this is exactly why I no longer deal with mechanics. I do all my own maintenance and upgrades, etc.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    A firearm is always the last rung in the ladder of escalating force!
    Even if the Wally Wanna-be grease monkey had come at you with a tool of some sort I'd still NOT want to draw. Posturing only made the people around him certin he was an idiot.....if he'd kept his cool, everyone might still have had a doubt about that.
    I most certinaly would NOT go back there for ANY maintiance after that 'lil incident.

Being armed should've changed NOTHING reguarding the outcome.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

At the 'first' sign of an angry idiot for an employee, I would have been gone...I'll not do business with an establishment who provides service using idiots for employees who can't treat people with plain ole' manners...
    At no point should a weapon have been even considered...besides, perhaps being grabbed or punched by an WalMart employee 'on camera' might have paid off your house...

(A real armed 'wacko' confrontation from an employee is certainly not out of the question, but I would consider highly unlikely...but in today's world......stranger things HAVE happened!)

Stay armed...choose your battles...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Sometimes I think we forget that everyone has a bad day. I know I had them as an LEO. While I don't get much work done at Wal-Mart I am thankful that they give people the chance to make a living. Walk away everytime you can. The price of lawyers will never get cheaper.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links