Something for the "Peak Oil" crowd.....

This is a discussion on Something for the "Peak Oil" crowd..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an article I pulled from MSN.com; pay particular attention to the diagonal drilling the Chinese propose to use to steal our oil in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something for the "Peak Oil" crowd.....

Here is an article I pulled from MSN.com; pay particular attention to the diagonal drilling the Chinese propose to use to steal our oil in the Gulf, and the reserves we have in the shale oil formations........

"As you fill your gas tank for your next summer trip, ask yourself how gas prices have reached current nosebleed levels. For many, the easy answer is to curse the "greedy" oil companies. Consider for a moment an alternative reason.

Oil is a commodity and therefore is subject to the laws of supply and demand. In the simplest of terms, when demand begins to put pressure on supply, prices go up; simple Econ 101. In a supply-and-demand situation, there are really only two options; lower demand or increase supply. I don't anticipate that the demand for oil will decrease, as Americans love their cars and love to drive. This leaves us with increasing the supply.

I know there are other fuel and energy alternatives, but none are mature enough or as readily accessible as oil and its byproducts at the present time. They may be in the future, but that doesn't help us out at the gas pump today. While research and development of fuel and energy alternatives will and must go forward, the supply of oil in the interim can be increased and America has vast resources that can be tapped into today.

Blocked in D.C.
    Investors Business Daily estimates there are 1 trillion barrels of oil trapped in shale in the U.S. and Canada. Retrieving just a 10th of it would quadruple our current oil reserves. There is a pool of oil in the Gulf of Mexico that is estimated to be as large as any in the Middle East. There is an equally large pool believed to be in Alaska."

So, as I have said before, there is plenty of oil and gas in this country; It is not George Bush , Dick Cheney and his "Big OIl Buddies" that are causing this, it is the people we elected to Congress that are. Remember this on election day. If we as a people fought as passionately for our ability to drill and produce our own natural resources as we fight to keep our guns, we would have solved this problem 30 years ago.

Just something to think abvout.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Uhhhm, you didn't link the article.

Yeah, if we could extract oil from shale efficiently we would be in great shape. Turns out, we can't. That's like saying if we could run cars on water we would have plenty of fuel.

It's complete nonsense to talk about an abundance of a fuel that we cannot utilize.

Hey, we got plenty of water, we'll run our cars on it!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Not tapping our own is just STUPID!(period)
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

High IQ journal -- Don't blame those 'greedy' oil companies

This is the link to the story.

The Chinese are attempting to tap into the Gulf oil supply by drilling diagonally from Cuba. I wonder what environmental safeguards they are using?

The fact is that there are environmentally safe methods of extracting oil from shale and drilling in both the Gulf and Alaska. Congress, however, continues to block these efforts. Just last week, the Senate voted to block any extraction from shale in Colorado. In essence, they voted to make your trips to the gas station more expensive, to make air travel more expensive, and to make heating your home more expensive.
    This part was not in the OP.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Not tapping our own is just STUPID!(period)
    using your own first is stupid :-) We don't want to be the first to run out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    using your own first is stupid :-) We don't want to be the first to run out.
    Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

I wish people would actually think about what is going on.

I've come to the unfortunate realization that 98% of the human population honestly do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the big picture.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

I didn't say use it, but tap it.
    You could still buy all you want, but we would not be at the mercy of weather, threats to cut oil supply,speculators, attacks on the other side of the world!!
    We could have whatever size reserve we wanted!
    The big picture Is oil is not our future( I hope), but is needed now!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Chinese are attempting to tap into the Gulf oil supply by drilling diagonally from Cuba. I wonder what environmental safeguards they are using?

The fact is that there are environmentally safe methods of extracting oil from shale and drilling in both the Gulf and Alaska. Congress, however, continues to block these efforts. Just last week, the Senate voted to block any extraction from shale in Colorado. In essence, they voted to make your trips to the gas station more expensive, to make air travel more expensive, and to make heating your home more expensive.

This part was not in the OP.
    Easy for you to say. There is no proposal to turn your state into a strip pit. Congress did not put an end to oil shale development in Colorado. They are slowing the development down so it won't be a environmental and social disaster. (It was last time it was attempted)

As far as holding the current administration blameless, that is pure baloney. A president with a little foresight could have done a lot of good, instead of openly pushing gas guzzling cars. Not just this president - every one since 1973 has behaved as if there is no end for big cars and big oil. Average fuel cost in Europe is about twice that of the USA, and average mileage of their cars is also. If we had their cars and our prices we would be spending half as much.

Senior Moderator
    We have ourselves to blame for our current fuel crisis.

We let our greed and laziness get the better of ourselves. We were foolish to think that we could use a non-renewable resource with no thought about it eventually running out.

We voted for polticians who would pretend that expontential growth can be continued indefinintly. We failed to learn from past societies, our own studies of other populations that had expontenial growth that were all followed by crashes.

We live in a finite world with finite resources (including food, water, timber, arable land, etc...) yet we live like it is infinite.

We are spoiled children who are not willing to leave anything for our own children.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Kerbouchard, have you ever worked in the oil & gas industry? Do you know for a fact that shale oil extraction is not economically viable?

I enter exhibit "A" for all to peruse. Several of my buddies have been working in the shale oil extraction arena for the past 5 years, and it is going to get much bigger as time goes on.....

<b>Seebach:</b> Shell's ingenious approach to oil shale is pretty slick : Columns & Blogs : The Rocky Mountain News

P.S. To the poster concerned about his state being strip-mined: I live in Texas, where all of our coastline has been drilled and explored for oil & gas to power everybody else's home and fuel thier cars. Our state has been strip mined for Lignite coal as well and we've got lots of refineries in lots of our backyards too, and Bay City just about glows in the dark from the nuclear plant there. But we don't whine here, we just do what needs to be done and get on down the road.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    Easy for you to say. There is no proposal to turn your state into a strip pit. Congress did not put an end to oil shale development in Colorado. They are slowing the development down so it won't be a environmental and social disaster. (It was last time it was attempted)

As far as holding the current administration blameless, that is pure baloney. A president with a little foresight could have done a lot of good, instead of openly pushing gas guzzling cars. Not just this president - every one since 1973 has behaved as if there is no end for big cars and big oil. Average fuel cost in Europe is about twice that of the USA, and average mileage of their cars is also. If we had their cars and our prices we would be spending half as much.

I didn't say anything. All I did was quote the rest of the story that the OP accidentally deleted.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Kerbouchard, have you ever worked in the oil & gas industry? Do you know for a fact that shale oil extraction is not economically viable?

I enter exhibit "A" for all to peruse. Several of my buddies have been working in the shale oil extraction arena for the past 5 years, and it is going to get much bigger as time goes on.....

<b>Seebach:</b> Shell's ingenious approach to oil shale is pretty slick : Columns & Blogs : The Rocky Mountain News
    No, I've never worked in the oil/gas industry. I've worked in the Nuclear industry, so not quite the same.

As far as the article that you linked, while it's interesting, I would hardly call it a break through.

So your exhibit A is that in 2005 it took them 9 months to cook a 20 by 35 foot piece of land and extract 1500 barrels of oil? Global usage of oil is somewhere around 80,000,000 barrels...PER DAY! Sorry if I am not wowed about the 1500 barrels/year the article talks about.

While it may be a part of the solution in years to come, it obviously has not had much of an impact in the last 3 years.

Who is John Galt?

I'll enter this as Exhibit B.

I found a more recent article on Shale Oil. Take a look...Econbrowser: Oil shale hits a freeze
    Shell spokeswoman Jill Davis said the withdrawal of a permit on one of its three oil-shale research and demonstration leases was done for economic reasons: Costs for building an underground wall of frozen water to contain melted shale have "significantly escalated."
    And this is from June 2007...If it was actually viable or promising, I believe we would be hearing a lot more about it. Or that I would at least be able to find an article about it in 2008.

Who is John Galt?

There is enough oil to drive our autos for at least the next century. The problem is the perceived "peak" and artificially induced "crisis" that causes the speculators to drive prices up. All we need to do is announce that we will be adding to the supply by drilling in Anwar and the perceived supply will go up, causing the speculators to drive the price down.

There is no doubt we could use a better fuel alternative, but that alternative does not exist yet. Until it does, quit making us suffer with the hyped up supply limitations.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Better yet? Stop purchasing and driving unreasonably and unnecessarily large vehicles that guzzle gas like no tomorrow. I'm tired of seeing someone driving a Lincoln Navigator or an Escalade, Suburban, even a big v8 powered sedan with no passengers, commuting all over town with no cargo.

There is no need for these monsters yet people drive them and complain about gas prices. If people would stop being so selfish and act themselves, we WOULD have those European cars that are oh-so-efficient.

In fact, we do. Try a Toyota Prius, Yaris, Honda Fit, etc. There are a handful of efficient choices yet people are not choosing them. I have two. I'm planning to sell one and buy a scooter.

People everywhere are too outward in their finger-pointing. Do what you can yourself. It will make a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links