my other hobby belongs here .

This is a discussion on my other hobby belongs here . within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I take pictures , its my other " expensive " hobby . now understand i take few gun picks, in fact with my last two ...

Thread: my other hobby belongs here .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

my other hobby belongs here .

I take pictures , its my other " expensive " hobby . now understand i take few gun picks, in fact with my last two cams i have not taken a single " studio " pic since that really i dont care about . I have an old cannon FTB and a 300mm lens for it , at pawn shop prices i have a hell of a rifle invested in the two . My first digital cam was an Oly camedia which had at that time a stunning 8x optical zoom . tho not as flat , it was more compact than my moms " cammidia " ( sp ) which would record to a floppy disk and needed no special median , btw it was 10x and would do macro better .

Pretty high end digital cams for the time ( consider a dslr at the time was 3k or so for the body alone , and other than nikon would not support old lenses ) .

Nowadays i still want my slr back , however no matter how cheap the body/kit may be i just cannot justify it with the new long lense bridge cams . I happen to own both one of the high end and one of the low end " super zoom " cams . My high end takes over all better pics , it will take further on optical zoom , and closer on the " macro or close up " end of the lens . so your cam $$ can buy you something in a point and shoot or as i tend to say a fixed lens cam . The smallest of my cams now has a roughly 7 megapixil file size and this means two things 1. my lense is bad ( it wont stand up to good 35 lenses ) and 2. i can throw away a meg to have the same pic for my usage as the best Nikon dlsr i have worked with . Just the other week i put two DSLR cams with my " good " point and shoot cam ( it is an oly sp560 for the cam folks ) . In any event i had an issue with the results , the cannon user did not have the lenses to duplicate the range that the point and shoot did , the nikon user did but it was " old glass " and his d60 did not handle it well unsupported Both cams took a better pic than my best point and shoot cam when you put them on a monitor , much less when you print them . However i have a simple Kodak 12x cam that will run from pics of flowers to pics of your .22 target @ 100 yards and tho folks say its a compromise i defy you to buy a dslr to take the pics we do as well as a p&s including the " bridge " super zooms " . Now i like my old 35 , and i like the digicam system . I really like the DSLR however today i can set myself up with a camera ( call it flawed if you will ) which will shoot from close up firearms ( and other macro pics ) out to roughly what i would consider a 450+ lens at a medium f stop , call it a 5. ( cost that lens out for your cam system alone lol ) . Try and take pics with what you have , set up a light box ( and i dont care if its a couple of pieces of foamboard , a sheet and a 12 buck worklght . Nowadays a cheap cam almost allways works well . My rule is take a lot of pics and delete a lot . for myself as a rule of thumb out of every 500 pics i take i have one keeper . However i dont bother to attempt to take " good " photos , i fill a disk and then a month later go review it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

God i just read my post and it has little to do with my intent . My intent is that if you have a cam well take the pic and see if it works ... buy new crap at your own risk . whatever you buy may make it easyer to take a pic , but the new extra megipixil wont save ya . You can take a bad pic at 8 or 12 mpx the same as you can a 1 mpx or less.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Hmmm... If I understand you right, you're saying that skill and practice matter more than the newest, whiz-bang features and costly hardware...

I believe I may have heard that philosophy applied to activities other than photography! :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I just ordered a D300, I sure hope it takes good pictures.

I have a D70 and like dialing in my own photos, my wife has a D50 and leaves it on autopilot. She takes some pretty good pictures with it too. The real difference is in dim or variable lighting.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Moderator
    My wife has a D70, and I have a D80.

You can see some of our stuff here: Welcome to LarsonPhotography.net

One of my recent favorites, the Phantom of the Osprey:

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    My wife has a D70, and I have a D80.

You can see some of our stuff here: Welcome to LarsonPhotography.net
    You sound like us. Photography is a lot of fun (at least for us). We started out with the point and shoot as well, now we're working our way up. Gotta admit though, it's getting kind of expensive. Thinking about trying to get it to at least pay for itself. I just don't want photography to turn into a job instead of a hobby. If it gets to be too much like work it won't be fun anymore.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

My wife an I have a portrait and wedding photography business. We used to have Olympus gear, but now use Pentax. My wife really likes to do weddings and portraits, but I really like landscape and architectural photography. Here's a few of my shots.

I believe I may have heard that philosophy applied to activities other than photography! :)
    Hmm funny how that works , or funny how gearophiles tend to overtake any endever to the point that one would think you can buy a skillset.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    You sound like us. Photography is a lot of fun (at least for us). We started out with the point and shoot as well, now we're working our way up. Gotta admit though, it's getting kind of expensive. Thinking about trying to get it to at least pay for itself. I just don't want photography to turn into a job instead of a hobby. If it gets to be too much like work it won't be fun anymore.

Holdcard
    Exactly - if it ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it.

And I know what you mean about the expense - I have the I-wants for some glass, but the pricetags are keeping me at bay.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have the I-wants for some glass, but the pricetags are keeping me at bay
    That is kinda why i dont own a dslr . I owned slr and bought lenses back pre digicam and enjoyed the hobby . Nowadays i can pay between 200 and 500 and get a bridge cam which i honestly cannot exploit the capacity for ( say between 28mm and 500 mm with macro with one lens) . I am not a pro and honestly cannot justify even to myself a body and then the costs of the lenses to duplicate the range i have now . A hot shoe would be nice but then my oly will handle the new wireless flash gun that oly has , as well as studio triggers if i grow into that .. As much nature shots as i do a dslr would be nice to set the depth of field , as well as the fact i could go " faster " however again we get into hobby vs cost . for under 500 bucks i can do about anything i want to , and upgrade every couple of years , That to my mind is far cheaper than setting up with the lenses to duplicate what i can do now . I dont sell pics and the 7 or 8 megapixil range i have gives me plenty of room to crop , the 400 to 500 mm that my two have give me plenty of reach without dipping into " digital zoom " . Maby the lenses are slow on zoom but post processing can handle shadows pretty well lol .

Would i like a nice dslr setup heck yea , however i cannot buy an equal package to do what i can with my cheapies for double the money i have in two of them . And now i always have the " right " lens on the camera , having only to carry spare cards and battery's for a day afield . My next major cam purchace will likely be a treckpod ( Trek-Tech ) since i can get an " adapter " to make it a rifle rest also . I just kinda take a cam with me and dont " set up " shots much . A good stick will likely help my back , my shooting , and my photography if i give it a chance .

Links