1984 and the like

This is a discussion on 1984 and the like within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I decided to give this it's own thread rather than clutter up someone elses in response. The original thread was regarding the calls for ...

Thread: 1984 and the like

1984 and the like

Well, I decided to give this it's own thread rather than clutter up someone elses in response. The original thread was regarding the calls for unwarranted searches of young males in the UK and how to tackle "Knife Crime". Thread here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post738889

Without further adue I give you my ramblings:

On a related note...just watch the movie '1984', based on Orwell's novel. There are folks that draw parallels between movies like 'V for Vendetta', but to really put things in perspective...read or watch 1984(yes, ironically enough the movie was released in 1984...go figure). If either one of those makes you stop and say "Hmm" then this article shouldn't be news to you.

The more I see articles like this where they proclaim the righteousness of their random and unprovoked searches, etc... The more I tend to wonder how much more of the "crimes" laid out in masterpieces like 1984 are going to continue to follow suit in our generation and those to follow.

Oh ps...1984 is probably not for children. There is a good bit of full nudity so fair warning. The odd thing is that it seems like that's the only thing that separates the protagonists from the rest of society. It's one of the few things that proves their individuality or humanity. Everyone else in society is afraid of "thought-crimes" and "sex-crimes" and a myriad of other illegal activities. Everyone is so bland and they are all enslaved clones effectively. They all eat the same food, work at the same factories, wear the same uniforms. It's one of those BONECHILLING Orwellian pieces. A MUST SEE or READ.

It makes articles like the ones in the original thread stand out that much more.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of it...You're just one of those crazy people who think the government is out to get you. CNN warned me of people like you.

And no, I'm not just saying that because of some gov't watch list...What gov't watch lists?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    What scares me is the most is the "perfect politician" no I don't really think there will be a politician that has no skeletons in his closet or lacks some vices, but the one that seems to come from no where, has lead a life in politics largely behind the scenes, he will be the one that seemingly burst onto the scene and speaks with a silver tongue the likes of which haven't been seen before, He didn't "not inhale" or have any real controversial issues in his past. He came from the salt of the earth small town, made the deans list, has a history of helping the little people, and knows also how to handle big business. He will be the one that seems to truly have the answers to what ever the "big issue" at that time, one that all side can agree on.

The candidates today, we know where they stand, they have been in the public eye for some time, they can be fought and somewhat kept in check, and they have divided the nation with their views. But the one that is just hitting his stride, and captures the hearts of people from all the parties, he scares me, I hope he is never found.

I don't think it will be good for us if the lesser gun friendly politicians get into office, they in reality can do only so much. The "one" that gains an overwhelming trust from the majority and "seems" to have the answers, that's the one we need to watch out for.

I'm not trying to be all or anything, just think the current anti politicians can only do so much or are willing to spend the political capital to fight the fight. But the "slick one" will make it happen right under your nose, while you are cheering for him. By the time we realize what is happening, their will be a knock at our door.

Remember, Hitler was elected by the people into the position from which he launched his master plan to ultimately rule those very same people. Even then, it didn't happen over night. Will it happen, I'm sure they didn't think so. I don't see any of the current crop of politico's doing it. What's on the horizon?

Disclaimer: This message is void of any political party affiliation, and is the ramblings of an average American citizen who had too much coffee this morning.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

If you like movies like 1984, V For Vendetta, and the such. I would recommend watching Equilibrium. IMO it closer resembles the story line of Fahrenheit 451, but is still a great movie.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It's one of those BONECHILLING Orwellian pieces. A MUST SEE or READ.
    +1

Seemed like far fetched Fiction at the time, although as years fly by they seem closer to reality.

Some times I think politicians read such books and they think - "Hey, that's a GREAT idea!"
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    It makes articles like the ones in the original thread stand out that much more.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    -- (Pennsylvania Assembly: Reply to the Governor, Tue, Nov 11, 1755, traditionally contributed to Franklin.)

"When the Nazis arrested the Communists,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a Communist.
    When they locked up the Social Democrats,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a Social Democrat.
    When they arrested the trade unionists,
    I said nothing; after all, I was not a trade unionist.
    When they arrested me, there was no longer anyone who could protest."
    -- (Martin Niemöller (1892—1984), Protestant pastor and social activist)

It's a short step on a slippery slope from ID'ing yourself at a check point to acceptance of unwarranted searches of young males in the UK, to "1984" whenever it finally happens
    -- (daveh 2008 DC)

Last edited by DaveH; May 31st, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo & spacing
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    If you like movies like 1984, V For Vendetta, and the such. I would recommend watching Equilibrium. IMO it closer resembles the story line of Fahrenheit 451, but is still a great movie.
    +1 and a great movie.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Links