This is what I woke up to this morning

This is a discussion on This is what I woke up to this morning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This crap is WAY too close to me. I was out with the dog this morning around 6 and I smelled the burning car. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is what I woke up to this morning

This crap is WAY too close to me. I was out with the dog this morning around 6 and I smelled the burning car. It's only about 4 blocks away

Body found inside burned vehicle in Donelson

Metro police are trying to piece together details in a death investigation Friday morning after discovering a body inside a burned vehicle in Donelson.

The vehicle was found sitting on Colfax Drive, just off Elm Hills Pike, in the Donelson area.

Police say they received a call about a car fire from someone in the neighborhood just after 4:45 a.m. Friday.

Once fire crews responded to the scene on Colfax Drive, they saw a vehicle engulfed in flames.

Crews then worked to put out the fire, only to discover a body in the back seat of the vehicle.

Police know very little about the circumstances surrounding the incident so far.

The body has not been identified.

There was no license plate on the vehicle, so officers have no way of tracing it to find the owner at this time.

In a neighborhood thought to be a quiet one, people nearby were surprised when they heard what they thought were gunshots being fired.

However, police say the sound was most likely from the vehicle's tires blowing out in the fire.

Investigators are talking to the neighbors, hoping to piece together what happened, while they wait for the medical examiner to identify the body.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    How good is your alibi?

Wow. That was definitely too close for me.

Also, can't they track the VIN with the license plates missing?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There is usually anywhere from 5 to 7 different places that the VIN is located on the car. If the one on the dash has been removed there are others they can use.

uhh....does the dog count for a witness. She REALLLLY had to go out this morning...and I was here...cause there's no puddles in the floor :-)

Now they're saying they know who it is...and that is might have been suicide. Now...I'm not a CSI...but I have some questions
    1. Why drive yourself into a secluded area. Stop the car. get out, get in the back seat and then set the car on fire. burning has to be a suck way to go...how can someone sit in a car and WAIT to burn...I can't fathom that...but I bet it's happened before.
    2. What are the odds of someone wanting to accomplish #1 parking right next to a real nice set of burnout tire marks from a RWD car
    (I drove by there..no hopping from a FWD car burning out, nice sideways slide at the start like a RWD vehicle)
    thats seems a a lot of trouble to go through to kill yourself.

not to mention...MNPD isn't known for their quick crime solves. They get the job done...but usually not in the timeline of a TV show
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    They think it was suicide??? I can't think of anyone committing suicide by burning themselves. Normally they try to go for either the quickest or least painful way to go. And if I had a choice, burning would be one of the very last ways I'd want to go.

Some suicide reports have been really weird.

Example :
    They shot themselves 7 times in the head, with a 5 shot revolver. (no joke)

I guess they had to re-load to finish the job.

Administrator
    People do kill themselves by setting themselves on fire.
    Not normally a great way to exit but, they are not usually normal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Yeah, a car-b-que would NOT be the way to go. Perhaps the police really do think the sheeple are THAT stupid (actually, they really are!) to believe that story.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

It can happen anywhere.

Sounds like maybe they know something from the investigation,but I would say It is too early to come to that conclusion before they do an autopsy and look for anything that don't fit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When I worked for the coroners office, we had a lady come in with numerous slashes to both her wrists, numerous slashes to her throat, several stab wounds to her chest..they listed her death as suicide..the most determined case of suicide I have ever seen!...but this burning car with a body in the back? Maybe hubby came home late, wifey didn't like it and made him sleep in the car and once he went to sleep in the back seat, she set his a$$ straight!
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member

Wow

They think it was suicide??? I can't think of anyone committing suicide by burning themselves
    Sitting in the back of the car with a can of gas and Bic lighter grinning ear to ear ....i don't think so...but hey!

From an obituary several years ago:

The starving artist could not pay his bills, his rent, and decided to take his own life, by drinking a quart of varnish.

He had a horrible ending, but a wonderful finish!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Athens County, Ohio:
    Cause of death: 21 hammer blows to the back of the head.
    Coroner's ruling:
    Suicide.
    Lorain County, Ohio:
    Cause of death: Multiple hammer blows to back of head.
    Coroner's ruling:
    Citing the Athens County case, this too was declared suicide.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

WTH? How in the world can someone hit themselves 21 times in the back of the head with a hammer? Did the ME get his diploma from the Acme school of Autopsy?

I'm still not buying the suicide thing here in TN. Perhaps I haven't given killing myself much thought but it seems...wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links