Just Curious

Just Curious

This is a discussion on Just Curious within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have noticed that many of you guys have many many posts in a single day. How many of you are retired/semi-retired/work from home? :1saufen: ...

Thread: Just Curious

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Question Just Curious

I have noticed that many of you guys have many many posts in a single day. How many of you are retired/semi-retired/work from home? :1saufen: I try my best to get on here once every few days, but I work about 60 hours a week. Not trying to be rude, just wondering because I'm jealous!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Administrator

Good Valid Question

I "work" either out on my house or one house away from my own.
    I can jump on and off usually all day.
    I (obviously) don't have any "set" hours that I need to work & I don't have anybody looking over my shoulder or...in fact anybody that even cares about what I do...or don't do.
    My wife sometimes wishes that I would do more grunt work around home though.

I usually do my restoration work very late at night and on into the "wee" hours.
    It's easy work for me so...it all "usually" goes smooth & very fast - even though it's fairly complicated work. I've been doing it for a long time.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

In addition

How many of you are employed in some way in the firearms industry? Not carrying, but restoring, selling, accessories, writing, pictures etc.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    About every other week I am home. When I'm home I work from home so I'm on and off the forums all day. My work is deadline oriented so I don't have a set schedule other than to make the deadline. When I travel I can only visit the forum in the morning or evening. It also depends on the client as to how much time I have for leisure.

This schedule flexibility allows me to work part time at a gun store, teach concealed carry classes and until July I was president of the local rod and gun club.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    When you are in front of a computer part of the day, and its connected to the net it's just a couple clicks to check and answer things. So I tend to check during lunch, and from the lap top while sitting in fron of the TV at night.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I just dont have a life. :)
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Assistant Administrator
    Chris - I (yes me - of keyboard diahorrea ) - call myself ''semi-retired'' - in fact I do have to work but that is somewhat according to when the work needs done.

I do therefore have time to spare compared with many, but more important - almost all my average days are spent in front of a puter anyways - as that is work as well as play. That means as emails drop in I am in touch with threads etc and can easily flit from place to place keeping track.

I am fortunate in that respect - tho planning surgery soon to excise the firewire cable link between puter and my head
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

CJ, I am retired so to speak. During my working days they were long and most every day of the week. I developed high speed communications software for various customer applications. This meant having PC test beds and testing equipment. I stopped development in the late 1990's and mostly went shooting everyday, liked that part. Now I am not to active and get on internet most every day.
    We have a telephone change coming up and I hope the dsl don't get messed up.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I work in a weird pattern. I'm constantly working even when I'm at home. I don't know how to describe it. My time off, if it's not 3 days or longer, and my time on all run together.

I'll be up at 5 am working until 8 am, teach a class, take a 2 hour break during conference period, teach two more classes, work another hour, go home, eat/nap/BS on the internet, work some more, sleep, wake up, go to the range, eat lunch, go work for 4 hours, go home, shower, go to the movies, go home, work for 30 minutes, sleep...

There's a reason I'm salaried. If I worked hourly my employer couldn't afford to pay me. But man I'd be rich.

I'm like Euc. Travel a coupla days/week, but I carry a laptop and have to check my corporate E-Mail at lunch time, so it's usually off to Hooter's or someplace equally distracting.
    This forum is kinda knee-jerk for me as I have found a good group of people here.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I'm just a bum.
    not realy, i am just tring to get to the senior member status, and if I gotta be a post whore to do it then so be it

DC Founder
    I work a regular 40+ hour week. I check in after work and usually stay on late. Lately though, longer hours are causing me to have a much narrower window to be on.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I work an afternoon shift (3 to 11 P.M.). so I'm on the computer at home in the morning and after work at night. I also have access to the internet on my work computer, and am able to check Combat Carry and various other sites (monitoring boilers is around 95% boredom and 5% "OH S#!T").
    Also, I only watch about 3 hours of TV each week....been living in this apartment for going on 4 years and still haven't got cable hooked up to my TV
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I'm retired and now have a real life. Lots of time, no money to speak of, always working around the farm just short of a heart attack then sit around for hours.

Up until alst night I was working mid shift on the flightline. And once we finished our work we would just sit around and wait for Pro Super to give the A/C forms a final llok before we were done. Left us with a good hour or two to just fool around. Since you can access CombatCarry on a gov't computer (for now at least) I was making it my habit to spend some time every evening looking around.

A1C Lickey

Links