Would you change the locks?

This is a discussion on Would you change the locks? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My "mature, responsible" daughter apparently lost her house key. Possibly at work. Her keychain is just the key and nothing indicating where she lives. Would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you change the locks?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Would you change the locks?

My "mature, responsible" daughter apparently lost her house key. Possibly at work. Her keychain is just the key and nothing indicating where she lives. Would it be a good idea to change the locks or is that overly cautious?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

The keys might of been lost or they might of been stolen ,I only have 2 external entry doors and replacing them with new locks is worth the peace of mind P.S. send the bill to responsible daughter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I dunno........'failing' to the safer side of disgression, changing the locks wouldn't be a 'bad thing'. I'd , however, standby and supervise said daughter while she performed the required maintiance on the doors. Might solve the issue of 'misplacing' her next house key.

That's just my line of thinking......... I'm also working on two teenaged daughters who are starting to learn life lessons and the responsability required to live. (read: keep from being grounded)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If it is known for a fact that they were lost, then I wouldn't bother. The sad reality is that some scumbag might've stolen them with ill intentions. To eliminate lost keys, i just installed an electronic lock on the front door. Just the regular latch, not the deadbolt. When we are gone during the day that is all we lock. When we are home, (especially at bedtime) we use the deadbolt, just in case the door code is ever compromised. It's worked out well so far.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Agree with the others. If you don't know for sure that they were lost or misplaced, I go ahead and do it. The minimal cost is nothing compared to the peace of mind.

Heck, even if they were just lost go ahead and change the locks. Don't take a chance for $50 or so!

VIP Member

Lost Keys??

Back in the '80s, a student "lost" her keys at the HS where my wife taught.

Next day when she (The student, not my wife. Our home's burglaries are another story) got home from school, not only were most the family's portable valuables gone -- but they had been hauled away in her new car, which she was not allowed to drive to school, she not being a senior.

Nuff said, IMHO.

BTW -- Car recovered a bit worst for wear, most valuables recovered, two perps got a slap on the wrist. They did have to make restitution, however.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Change them post haste
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Change 'em, or if you have a real hardware store close by, just have them re-keyed, it'll be cheaper assuming you have decent locks to begin with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A couple of new locks... $50
    Peace of Mind... Priceless
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Some hardware stores / locksmiths sell kits to rekey, too: maybe daughter could profit from a locksmithing lesson? She probably was simply careless, but the teacher in me is always looking for opportunities!

Change 'em. No need to have you and your spouse worry over if they were lost of stolen and the possibility of having your stuff you you gone.

It would cost you approx. $50 and about 1 hour to supervise your daughter in changing them out. Not to mention the 20 minute discussion on how important it is to keep up with things like that, do it over a pizza after she changes the locks though, so you can reward her for making it right and have some time alone to talk about the dangers of the World around us.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Change the locks, but keep the old ones and their keys. If a key to the new locks gets 'lost', you could re-install the old set. If a BG stole the key to the first set, he would likely have used it by then and thrown it away as useless.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Guys, all of you that have said "you can change the locks for $50"...

Yes, you can get a set of house locks for $50, but they'll be crappy locks.

Have you ever heard of "bump-keying" ? It's a very simple method of lock picking that only requires a few basic blank keys and a rubber mallet, and will open upwards of 90% of doornob-type locks and almost as many deadbolts.

Check it out:

YouTube - Bump Key How Does It Work?

YouTube - Bump Key HOWTO

YouTube - Bump Key Lock pick

Here's a PDF with instructions on how to make one, and even templates.

Locks that are designed to resist common lockpicking techniques such as bump-keying are more expensive.

Let's assume a typical house has a total of three exposed doors. Mine, for instance, has a front and back door, and a side door out the garage.
    Each of these doors has a regular doorknob lock and a deadbolt. Total of 3 doorknob locks and 3 deadbolts, right?

Having just priced it out online, the cheapest I could find a set of keyed-alike, good quality locks that will resist such techniques for my home was $436 shipped (Google Product Search).

Don't buy $50 locks. Bad idea.

They're kind of pricy, but if you're going to change them, take a good look at these:
    Kwikset.com - SmartKey They're bump-proof, pick-resistant, and you can re-key them yourself very easily.

Installing good strike plates, good hinges, and securing the hinges to the frame with Texas-size steel screws are all good ideas. Lock covers and ShatterGuard film on the windows is an even better idea.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

My daughter learned... you lose the key... you buy the new locks. She never lost another key.

I guess that the shotgun with string tied to door will really mess up a bump key guys day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links