We seem to be on a Darwin kick this eve.
Dumb luck! Generator destroyed when lit candle used to check fuel level
Posted October 28 2005, 4:00 PM EDT
Two Broward residents narrowly escaped injury after causing a flash fire and destroying their portable generator Thursday night at a home near Fort Lauderdale, the Broward Sheriff's Office said on Friday.
One resident was attempting to re-fuel the generator in the dark on the 2900 block of Northwest Seventh Court and decided to peer into the gas tank using a burning candle for light. The flame from the candle ignited flammable gasoline vapors inside the tank causing a flash fire that destroyed the generator and created a serious risk to the adjacent structure
Residents at the scene began to fight the fire with a garden hose. Broward Sheriff's Office Fire-Rescue personnel responded quickly to the scene.
There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.