Don't want to seem pushy

This is a discussion on Don't want to seem pushy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm asking for some help from any of our members that interview and or hire new people for their company. I originally applied back on ...

Thread: Don't want to seem pushy

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Don't want to seem pushy

I'm asking for some help from any of our members that interview and or hire new people for their company.

I originally applied back on March 31st, then again on April 22, and got a call for an interview on May 13th, Had the interview on Wed May 21st, and wrote a Thank You e-mail that afternoon, All of the communication with this company has been e-mail, and that was one of the questions, do you know how to e-mail, attach documents, so I figured the Thank you letter would be OK to e-mail. It was a fresh e-mail, not a forward. I have put my full name and addressee and contact numbers in every e-mail.

It all went well, it's the same job I'm doing now, but for a different product, the pay would be great with benefits paid for. WHOOO HOOOO. She liked my answers about computer knowledge and office experience.

My question is, Interview Wed 2 weeks ago,thank you e-mail that night, follow up e-mail again thanking for the interview Wed last week. Still haven't heard anything, since it was 2 months and 1 month after applying for them to contact me, I'm guessing they are busy, or it's not a desperate need. She did say I should hear something one way or another some time last week, but people get busy.

So how long should I wait to contact her again? Where is the line drawn between "pushy", and "hey this person really wants to work here". Could I contact her every Wed, or is that too much. I know the routine about no more contact, let the corporate "no thanks" letter cover our butts thing too. after getting a bunch of those, or just no reply at all, I don't get that feeling, it really did go well.

Thanks in Advance

Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

At this point, I would do 1 of 2 things, depending on how desperate you were for this job.

If you need the job, I would call and inquire as to the status, and ask if there is anything you can do to help them make their decision. Offer reference letters, documentation of training, Degree if applicable, etc.

If you don't need the job, I would think seriously if you want to work for a company that won't even bother to maintain communication. I look at the interviewing process both ways. If I am not treated well during the interview process, I can extrapolate how I will be treated as an employee.

As far as weekly e-mails, I would not do that. If they haven't responded to the ones you have already sent, I doubt weekly e-mails will help.

I would make one more call, speak to the manager, and find something out one way or another. Another benefit to the phone call is you might find out that their HR person has been out sick, or at least a reason for the delay.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

My .02.....

You've followed up appropriately. For now, the ball's in their court. If you haven't heard something in another 4 weeks, go ahead and follow up then.

There's a fine line between following up and stalking. The former is appropriate and even appreciated, the latter, not so much!

Remember, the wheels turn slowly, but they do turn. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    At this point, I would do 1 of 2 things, depending on how desperate you were for this job.

If you need the job, I would call and inquire as to the status, and ask if there is anything you can do to help them make their decision. Offer reference letters, documentation of training, Degree if applicable, etc.
    kerbouchard,

Thanks for the advise.

I would say desperate, It is a moderate sized company, and my wife has been able to work only 3 months since last June. This would in a major way save my bacon.

Sounds like a phone call at lunch time to inquire as to how it's coming along.

It's nice to get an independent view to help put things into perspective. I did think about the long time to contact about the position, and the slow response, but I didn't get the vibe of a company that has a lot of grass growing under their feet.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    My .02.....

You've followed up appropriately. For now, the ball's in their court. If you haven't heard something in another 4 weeks, go ahead and follow up then.

There's a fine line between following up and stalking. The former is appropriate and even appreciated, the latter, not so much!

Remember, the wheels turn slowly, but they do turn. Good luck!

That sounds good too, I want to wait, and not be pushy, but I think I will probably still call her and just ask if it's still in the works. OK, maybe wait till wed and call. Then give it some time.

This sucks,

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Sounds like a phone call at lunch time to inquire as to how it's coming along.
    I wouldn't call at lunchtime, for the same reason I would not call at quitting time. I would call at about 10:20 a.m.

Morning meetings and the daily fires to put out are probably over by then. It's early enough where they won't be at lunch. It's late enough where they have had time to deal with daily issues.

I would also call on a Tuesday rather than a Monday. Just my .02.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links