Be careful what you wear to the airport - Page 2

Be careful what you wear to the airport

This is a discussion on Be careful what you wear to the airport within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by TravisABQ A THIRTY year old man wearing a TRANSFORMERS T-shirt?! What's on his jammies? Thats what i was thinking Seriously though this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful what you wear to the airport

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    A THIRTY year old man wearing a TRANSFORMERS T-shirt?!

What's on his jammies?
    Thats what i was thinking

Seriously though this is VERY stupid.....
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Why am I not surprised that this happened in London

Time to ban tee shirts!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Of course, it was ridiculous for his shirt to encourage such negative scrutiny.

But notice the difference. The guy simply changed his shirt, got on the plane and was on his way. No screeching about 'rights', no obstructing officials, no whining and throwing a tantrum.

I imagine some might have found themselves arrested and in custody if this incident happened here.

Comedian Jeff Dunham tells a storry where he was wearing one of his "Achmed, the Dead Terroist" with the words, "I KEEL YOU!" T-shirts to the airport..he admitted that the TSA folks had no sense of humor..dang near missed his flight!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Product placement Nazis. Would be nice to say I've now seen everything, but I think that's not likely.

Salute me, or you're arrested. Obey me, or you're arrested. Remove your offensive shirt, 'cause with it you're a bad guy, but removing it means you're now a good guy. Do it now ... or you're arrested.

The twit would go ballistic with all the Yosemite Sam mud flaps we've got on this side of the pond. Positively ape. This appears to me to be a case of a "security" type exercising his control, yet not affecting security in the least.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm surprised they let the shirt on the plane in the luggage. That's an awful big barrel.

A friend of mine was kicked out of an amusement park once for an offensive shirt. It was some band shirt with the following on the back:

Kill one man and you are a murderer.
    Kill millions and you are a conqueror.
    Kill everyone and you are a god.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Of course, it was ridiculous for his shirt to encourage such negative scrutiny.

But notice the difference. The guy simply changed his shirt, got on the plane and was on his way. No screeching about 'rights', no obstructing officials, no whining and throwing a tantrum.

I imagine some might have found themselves arrested and in custody if this incident happened here.
    England / GB had it's genesis as a monarchy.

US has as it's genesis a people throwing off the bonds of servitude and peasantry and taking up the cause to ensure liberty at the expense of perceived safety.

Rights are what the Britains read about when they read American history. Rights are what the Americans have to fight for every day to preserve. Rights preservation are what we, as Americans, owe to our forefathers to live up to the sacrifices that they so willingly gave.

What is ridiculous is that someone protected by our rights has an issue with anyone of our citizens exercising our rights.

Negative scrutiny only exists by the people/organizations in power.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Rights are what the Britains read about when they read American history. Rights are what the Americans have to fight for every day to preserve. Rights preservation are what we, as Americans, owe to our forefathers to live up to the sacrifices that they so willingly gave.

What is ridiculous is that someone protected by our rights has an issue with anyone of our citizens exercising our rights.
    There is no 'right' to wear a shirt. If you want to cause a scene, be detained, and delay the people behind you, have fun. You are certainly not furthering the cause of liberty by those actions.

There is no 'right' to wear a shirt. If you want to cause a scene, be detained, and delay the people behind you, have fun. You are certainly not furthering the cause of liberty by those actions.
    And that is your opinion. I disagree. It sure seems like you favor expediency over liberty. I do not. To each his own.

There is no 'right' to wear a shirt.
    At least in the USA, there is also no right to arrest based on someone's clothing choices. Can't speak to England's missteps.

At what point does a "lawful order" by an "authority" type go too far? I'd say this is a good example, and that the line stops short of feigning offense at someone's clothing choices as pretense for an arrest. Where would such things stop? Poke a hole in your face or expose your navel or wear ratty, tattered jeans or chew gum or any other whimsical basis for a desire to haul your butt through an unpleasant experience?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    At least in the USA, there is also no right to arrest based on someone's clothing choices. Can't speak to England's missteps.
    No one said anything about arrest though some who would cause a scene over a shirt might very well violate a law against obstruction, disturbing the peace or something else, completely unintentionally, of course.

At what point does a "lawful order" by an "authority" type go too far? I'd say this is a good example, and that the line stops short of feigning offense at someone's clothing choices as pretense for an arrest.
    I first stated I thought the entire episode was ill conceived. This situation at the airport is different than the punk who caused a scene at a school for wearing an inappropriate shirt. However, I certainly don't think scrutiny and profiling, especially at an airport, should ever be considered as inappropriate. And given the state of terrorism in the world that simply complying with a simple request is not an undue burden.

I would hope that someone wearing a terrorist scarf as a headwrap wearing a shirt that said 'Death to Infidels' would be thoroughly searched and forced to dress appropriately.

Where would such things stop? Poke a hole in your face or expose your navel or wear ratty, tattered jeans or chew gum or any other whimsical basis for a desire to haul your butt through an unpleasant experience?
    It would be much simpler to dress and behave as an adult, no? For so many that want to be anonymous it is certainly strange that they also want to attract attention to themselves. Not the best plan.

VIP Member
    Maybe you forgot about this little thing called free speech. If they can publish Penthouse I can wear my Transformers T-shirt. And my Chuck Norris underoos.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Maybe you forgot about this little thing called free speech. If they can publish Penthouse I can wear my Transformers T-shirt. And my Chuck Norris underoos.
    I don't have my dictionary handy, but somehow I don't think the definition of speech includes wearing a shirt.

I haven't seen a Penthouse for decades, but if it is what it was then I would have no problem with local laws prohibiting that type of 'literature.'

I find that many people are unfamiliar with the intent behind the Bill of Rights and ignore the plain language, which doesn't require interpretations by men in black robes.

More importantly, prohibitions on the Federal government do not apply to the sovereign states.

VIP Member
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ...And my Chuck Norris underoos.
    Can I get a pair in 4XL?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links