Some Wilma Thoughts

Some Wilma Thoughts

This is a discussion on Some Wilma Thoughts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; During the hurricane I grabbed a little notebook and started to write down some thoughts. I kept doing after and I just want to share ...

Thread: Some Wilma Thoughts

VIP Member

Some Wilma Thoughts

During the hurricane I grabbed a little notebook and started to write down some thoughts. I kept doing after and I just want to share it with you guys. They may not make much sense and they may even contradict and/or complement themselves. Some will have explanations, others I hope are self-explanatory

No plan ever survives first contact, specially when Mother Nature is involved and she is in a bad mood.

You will forget something. No matter how detailed you do your planning and how much thought you give it, you will forget something and miss it in the middle of things.

It does not sound like a freight train. It sounds like the hounds of hell ridden by ghouls and both are howling at top of their lungs.

Whatever number of supplies you think you may need it, add 50% more at least. You never know what’s on the other side of the hell you are living right now.

Do not trust weather people! I went to bed thinking I was going to go through a Cat 1 Hurricane and woke up in the middle of a Cat 3.

Fear is contagious.

Work gloves and Aleve are your friends in the aftermath.

Tow it, don’t drag it. Your truck is designed for it, you back ain’t.

Duct Tape. Man’s real best friend.

People are stupid or get stupid. There can be lots of them. If you lived in South Florida for at least a week during hurricane season, there is a mantra you will hear over and over: “Get supplies for at least 3 days. Water, a gallon per person per day. Fill up your car. Have a flashlight, fresh batteries and a portable radio.” These are the most basic survival kit. Still, the TV was filled with idiots that somehow either did not know a hurricane was coming or ignored and were desperate looking for water, ice and food before the last wind was over.

Then again People can surprise you with help and smiles. We need more of those. After it was over, people in my neighborhood came out, surveyed the damage to their properties, checked the neighbors and made sure we were all OK and started to pitch in clearing the roadways. We kept an eye on each other and against intruders, pass the word on where supplies could be found or news about other places, government announcements and more. Everybody’s mood was “We survived, we are OK, Ain’t it grand?” It was uplifting.

Some “essentials” are not. Today I actually saw a guy complaining at a supermarket because there was no lactose-free milk. Get a grip buddy, we just went through a hurricane. Lots of people were lining for gas but some were actually lining up for…. A car wash? There are some other stuff I don’t remember right now but equally stupid.

Rediscover Spam (the food, not the 170 emails waiting for me)

Most two hated words: “Continuous Coverage”

Most Media people are scum of the earth. Worse coverage in this sense was by Channel 10 (Local ABC), which you could actually see trolling for bad news all over four counties with a feverish look in their faces. I even saw a reporter cut off a live interview with a local just because the guy had no complains to give against FEMA/Local or State Government or anybody else and had suffered very little damage to his house. Same guy was almost orgasmic when he found somebody else who was complaining about the local lack of free water conveniently located near her house even though she had running water at her place in Miami-Dade and had already been announced it was safe to drink. Best coverage was Channel 7 (Local Fox) who had a good balance of tragedy and uplifting stories and their spirit was always “We are in this together and we will make it.” Which is amazing since Channel 7 is recognized as the Yellow Journalism TV station of the area on normal days.

You can actually sit and watch PBS for long periods of time.

FEMA: A convenient scapegoat when your local government drops the ball.

Don’t try to remember it. Write it!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Glad you made it.

(Early morning + no coffee = short sentences).
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Miggy,

Lessons learned. Saw much of what you described before and after Rita in Houston where I was working.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrator

Good Thead Miggy

Doggoneit there is just no human excuse for NOT having enough bottled water per person when living in any disaster prone area.
    And the parents WITH KIDS who still do not go out and buy a few EXTRA gallons of water. Pitiful & Pathetic is all I can say.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - thx for that.

Thoughts like yours during and after such an event have a lot of meaning.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Miggy, Nice contribution...... Noticed that in some ways things just never seem to change.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good Stuff

it hasn't changed down there since andy hit in '92. some people have short memories. complaining about no power for a week. try not having it for a month.it took them about that long to get it back in my neighborhood. here's an idea for those people...PREPARE.

VIP Member
    Using the good old "supplies for three days" rule:

Case of water (24 bottles that make 3 gallons) = $5
    Cheap WalMart Styrofoam cooler = $2.00
    Bag of Ice = $2.00
    Chunk Tuna in water 0.65$ can x 3 meals/day x 3 days =$5.85
    Loaf of bread = $2.00
    Total for 3 days per person = $16.85

Grant you, you will not live in the Lap of culinary luxury, but you this is the basic minimun for "survival" so the great majority of people have no excuse for being in "need" after the hurricane. I do not know how the media in the other 49 has portrayed the situation here but the general mood form the average Joe and Jane is that the crybabies deserved what they did not have. FEMA and Local emergency departments were set up pretty much (by no means perfectly) 48 hours after the hurricane and that should have gave everybody a 24 hour buffer before going wild and start crowding the relief centers. Miami-Dade water supply was not interrupted and the water was always safe to drink and even the frigging weather colaborated and remained cool enough. Disaster aid should have been given as priority to the elderly and infirm (lots of not very wealthy retirees down here) but instead aid was given to able bodied younger whinners who failed to prepare because they were able to reach a newsperson and cry that they did not have anything to drink/eat and that made for good copy and video.

Fuel was a problem with so many gas stations without a generator, but I have the feeling many will be ready for next year. The loss of income they suffered must be staggering. If we are lucky, we will be able to knock some sense into county officials that want to make mandatory that every station must have a partially state subsidized generator. Let the market adapt.

Florida Power & Light has done a great job IMHO getting power back. Same for whomever is in charge of removing debirs from the roadways. In my area I guesstimate that we have completly lost about 50% of the trees and most of them ened up blocking streets.

And I am most proud by the general attitude of the people in Miami-Dade (notable exceptions were the lady that bumped me 3 times from behind with her shopping cart in the supermarket and the young foolish idiots that cut in the line while waiting for gas and got an attitude after we complained. The issue was resolved quickly and painless for them when they realized that it was not safe to confront several angry car owners and one of the was wearing a 5.11 vest)
    People in general have been very cordial, helpful and even humorous at the ordeal. Any neighbor who found an scarce item would promptly tell everybody else where to find it and even buy it for those who couldn't get out.

Even the Dolphins won the Hurricane Bowl yesterday!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good to see you made out OK
    We had some damage in Okee. the power and water is back on and life is good.
    Hang in there.

Sponsored Links