Ohio City OKs Jail Time for Failing to Mow Lawn

This is a discussion on Ohio City OKs Jail Time for Failing to Mow Lawn within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CANTON, Ohio — Homeowners who don't mow their grass in this northeast Ohio city now face stiffer penalties — including possible jail time. The city ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio City OKs Jail Time for Failing to Mow Lawn

Ohio City OKs Jail Time for Failing to Mow Lawn

CANTON, Ohio — Homeowners who don't mow their grass in this northeast Ohio city now face stiffer penalties — including possible jail time.

The city council unanimously passed a law Monday that makes a second high-grass violation a fourth-degree misdemeanor carrying a fine of up to $250 and as many as 30 days in jail.

The previous law only made the first violation a minor misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $150 but no jail time. The new law is to take effect in 30 days.

"This is the type of action we need to take in order to clean up our neighborhoods and our city," Mayor William J. Healy II said.

The laws are an effort to reduce the roughly $250,000 the city spends to cut about 2,000 private lots each year and to address public complaints, Councilman Greg Hawk has said.
    I am really sure this is the biggest problem they have there.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    "This is the type of action we need to take in order to clean up our neighborhoods and our city," Mayor William J. Healy II said.

The laws are an effort to reduce the roughly $250,000 the city spends to cut about 2,000 private lots each year and to address public complaints, Councilman Greg Hawk has said.

How about you raise the fines and put real criminals behind bars,I'm sure that "grass" has a little bit to do with crime in the city but I don't think it's that grass they are referring to.Let's see if ya don't cut you're grass you get 30 days in jail and a $250 fine,but if ya smoke grass ya get $100 fine and probation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am convinced that we deserve the stupidity that we have in government. After all WE (the majority) elected these folks to office and in many cases re-elected them.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I am really sure this is the biggest problem they have there.
    Honest, if my mower cord hadn't broken this weekend, I'd have finished the back yard. I hope I'm not taken to jail.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    This is just one example of something I have spoken about here before.
    We (our leaders and ourselves too) tend to want to make just about everything bad that happens into a crime deserving of stiff punishment.

A better solution would be--issue a couple of citations-- mow the lawn using city resources if necessary, put a lien against the property owner's property for the expense, and if necessary put it on the auction block to force payment....a last resort of course.

I do think there is a relationship between "quality of life crimes" and more serious crimes. The same folks who don't care to take care of their property are often the same ones with the loud music, the beer cans, and the drugs. (Of course poor property maintenance is also sometimes found among the elderly and the infirm who with limited incomes have no money to hire someone to do a task they can not do themselves.)

Jail for not mowing is way over the top.
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 3rd, 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add a thought

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Can't be here long........must go mow my lawn.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

What is bad is the strip between the sidewalk and the street is also included in this but you have no control over it but you have to pay taxes on it.

I really gets me is that some busy-body gets to tell me how they think my yard and house should look. If I want to raise a crop of weeds then I should be able to do it. In one neighborhood in Charlotte, NC you cannot cut the grass in your own front yard but must pay someone to cut it on their schedule so that everyone's yard gets cut at the same time. One homeowner was fined for cutting his own front yard.

Administrator
    If you really think about it in terms of the "big picture", it makes sense. I know superficially it seems stupid, but think about it.... I like it!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'm for it, it's like a beuatification laws that make people get junk cars, refrigderators etc.. out of their yards.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Seriously? those of you that agree with these laws are willing to let government tell you how often to cut your grass??!!?!?!?!?!! Why is goverment intervention there ok but not other places? When does it stop? Today locked up for not cutting the grass...next week they don't like your house color...once you let them in you can't get them out.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

just another way to spend the tax payers money. jail time.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Seriously? those of you that agree with these laws are willing to let government tell you how often to cut your grass??!!?!?!?!?!! Why is goverment intervention there ok but not other places? When does it stop? Today locked up for not cutting the grass...next week they don't like your house color...once you let them in you can't get them out.
    If one lives in the a city, a neighborhood where neighbors are in close proximity, people should have enough respect for their neighbors to keep at least a somewhat tidy yard, keep your dogs from barking excessively etc.
    Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have the same school of thought, and that trashed yard brings down the value of my home, even though I work hard to have a nice yard and clean home. That trickles down, and will eventually destroy a nice neighborhood if left unchecked.

I see what you are saying, and agree with it... only when looked at from the very superficial level. Bottom line is, if people were responsible enough to take care of their own garbage, this would be a non issue. But because so many of the last generation were raised not to give a hoot, we have the need to address such trivial issues in many cities.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you really think about it in terms of the "big picture", it makes sense. I know superficially it seems stupid, but think about it.... I like it!
    I understand your point, but jail time? No way! A fine of $250 is allot of money and should clean up the problem. If it doesn't then multiple $250 dollar fines should. If they dont't pay then, after say ten unpaid fines, confiscate the property and sell it like a tax forclosure type scenario. Jail time? Just a larger drain on the city budget.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The government does not have the right to tell people if/when/how they should cut their grass. Technically it isn't the home owner's property to begin with, thanks to eminent domain, so the government should be going around cutting the grass, since it is ultimately theirs and they as the real owners of said property should maintain it.

I would love to see the city confiscate the property for someone not cutting their grass. They would be hauling my dead body of the house before they get their greasy little mitts on it. Guaranteed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links