Propane tank caution

Propane tank caution

This is a discussion on Propane tank caution within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The safety dept. here at work sent this out yesterday: Anhydrous Ammonia Safety Alert - National Propane Gas Association It has come to the attention ...

Thread: Propane tank caution

Propane tank caution

The safety dept. here at work sent this out yesterday:

Anhydrous Ammonia Safety Alert - National Propane Gas Association

It has come to the attention of the National Propane Gas Association that propane cylinders are being used in the manufacturing of Methamphetamines. This drug is commonly referred to as 'crank'. Manufacturers of this illegal substance are using propane cylinders for the storage and the use of anhydrous ammonia. These cylinders have been found in many states at cylinder exchange and refilling locations as well as in hotel rooms and mobile laboratories, where the manufacturing of this illegal substance takes place.

As observed in the illustrations, a blue-green stain on any brass portion of a service valve is evidence that it may have been in contact with anhydrous ammonia*. The pungent odor of ammonia on or near the cylinder is also an indication. If you suspect that a propane cylinder contains or has contained anhydrous ammonia, exercise extreme caution and restrict access to the area.

It can be dangerous to move the cylinder due to the unknown integrity of the cylinder's service valve. If you determine that it must be moved, keep in mind that hazards due to valve expulsion can be reduced by pointing the end of the container in which the valve is placed away from yourself and others and towards the most safe direction.

Immediately contact your Fire Department, Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Unit or the nearest office of the United States Department of Justice's Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) for information on properly disposing of the cylinder. If these respondents are not sure what to do, for assistance call 1-800-728-2482, which is the contact number for PERS, an independent hazardous materials information resource.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Moderator
    Yep...we have noticed it here for awhile.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well aint that just dandy. I've never swapped out propane tanks for my grills. I've always had my originals re-filled.

Senior Moderator
    If you ever try to swap out a tank at the local PDQ...about half of them have the green stain on the brass valve.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Wow, I never even looked. I've been debating the switch back to charcoal anyways. The taste is so much better, but it's such a pain.

Only time I use gas is when I fry fish or turkeys and when I boil peanuts. I prefer charcoal or wood chips for the grill. I will be keeping an eye open for that though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I keep my own tank and about all i use it for is melting lead wheel weights into ingots to make boolits out of
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Go ahead and keep away from the valve but if the seal fails that suckers taking off like a rocket. Now you're in it's sights!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hmmm. You'd think the meth manufacturers would use stainless containers and fittings approved by ASME for such a corrosive substance. No wonder they have to exchange them for new ones frequently. Pure ammonia is truly nasty stuff. Water will absorb it readily and render it safe, but I suppose best to leave it alone.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ahhh, Greenage. Now every old corroded bottle will be suspect. I have some green in my swimming pool, hey who's been making meth in my pool? At exchange stations they will have already been refilled and probably have already seen their max pressure.

That is the reason why you don't use ammonia based window cleaner of other fluid for leak detection.

I would not suggest doing a cylinder exchange at a crack house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well aint that just dandy. I've never swapped out propane tanks for my grills. I've always had my originals re-filled.
    I have never traded my tanks in. I wouldn't take a gun from someone I don't know, and I wont do that with volatile things like pressurized tanks.

I also never ever ever have that valve pointing at my person. Call me paranoid, but that just freaks me out.

Sponsored Links