Florida vacation help?

Florida vacation help?

This is a discussion on Florida vacation help? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So we are thinking about a trip to Miami in December. We are looking at five days, would like to go to Key West, and ...

Thread: Florida vacation help?

Florida vacation help?

So we are thinking about a trip to Miami in December. We are looking at five days, would like to go to Key West, and fish on a party boat. Anyone have advice on must see places, or fishing charter captains?

Are you planning a trip to Miami or to Key West? You can fish out of both......but in 5 days it'll be tough to really get much accomplished in both.....

How are you getting there? 5 full days, or are the first and last days travel days? Bringing kids?

VIP Member
    Like David said, one thing is Miami and the other is Key West. If you are set on going to Key West. the link gives you some of the charters for fishing in the Key West area alone. There are more keys and more charters up and down.

Key West Chamber of Commerce Membership Directory

If you are staying in Miami for 5 days only you might want to consider do the fishing in the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area which is much closer.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Unless your staying on South Beach I would stay on the beach in the Fort Lauderdale area. Lots of fishing charter boats leave from Fort Lauderdale. If you can stay at least one night in the Keys you should enjoy the many bars and restaurants on Duvall street. If you get a good boat captain in one location, ask him to recommend a good charter boat in the other location. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy your stay.
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    Unless your staying on South Beach I would stay on the beach in the Fort Lauderdale area. Lots of fishing charter boats leave from Fort Lauderdale. If you can stay at least one night in the Keys you should enjoy the many bars and restaurants on Duvall street. If you get a good boat captain in one location, ask him to recommend a good charter boat in the other location. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy your stay.
    Hell I can even recommend a couple of hotels sitting next to the marinas. Wake up, get dressed, get out of the hotel and almost step into the boat.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Sorry, I was a bit vague. It's not a fishing vacation, but we would like to go out for a day. Saw some party boat charters online, looks more my speed. Looking for a air/hotel/car package in Miami. Would like to be on the water, but there are so many hotels it makes my head spin. We would like to go to the Keys for a day, even if we have to get a room there.

It will just be two of us going, no kids. It sounds silly but we got thinking about Miami from watching all the location filming on CSI. Never been there, and it has to be warmer than Kansas in December.

Warmer than Kansas in December....naw....20 degrees F is still warm!
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Sorry, I was a bit vague. It's not a fishing vacation, but we would like to go out for a day. Saw some party boat charters online, looks more my speed. Looking for a air/hotel/car package in Miami. Would like to be on the water, but there are so many hotels it makes my head spin. We would like to go to the Keys for a day, even if we have to get a room there.

It will just be two of us going, no kids. It sounds silly but we got thinking about Miami from watching all the location filming on CSI. Never been there, and it has to be warmer than Kansas in December.
    Got it.

It's a longer drive to Key West from Miami than you'd think. You'd have to plan on at least one night in Key West.....

If it were me, I'd prob try to get into Miami Intl early and drive right down to Key West. Do the sunset at Mallory Square and the the night-life stuff. Stay the night and have breakfast at Pepe's. Then do the touristy stuff .......(Mel Fisher's museum, Hemmingway's house, etc) and drive back up to Miami for the rest of your vacation.

Here's a great little place to stay right off of Duval St. They have loaner bikes so you can get around without worrying about the car.

Eden House Key West Hotel | Key West Florida Hotel, Inn, Bed and Breakfast

I'll leave Miami to Miggy and the others that know it better than I do.

Have fun!

Thanks David looks nice. Anyone help with a place to stay in Miami, and stuff to see?

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Thanks David looks nice. Anyone help with a place to stay in Miami, and stuff to see?
    I'll have to leave Miami to the guys that really know it.

Miggy?

VIP Member
    Places to stay in Miami?? Yikes! It depends what do you want to do and see.

Miami Beach and the surrounding areas is full of hotels from the pricey to the very pricey. Try something outside Miami Beach like Coconut Grove or downtown Miami with the caveat that 1) In December there is no such thing as cheap rooms in SoFla, 2) You will need a car.

As for what to do, you just better check out this website: Miami, Florida Events, Attractions, Dining, Hotels & More - Travel to Miami. It will tell you what is available and even what special events might be happening around the time you want to be here. Also transportation, hotels, restaurants, etc.

If you feel like shark fishing, I found this site: "WORLD'S GREAtest SHARK HUNTER"
    Randy Cain.

Links