If You Were President of the USA

This is a discussion on If You Were President of the USA within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a lot of smart people on this forum, and a lot of dumb politicians in Washington D.C.. If you were elected President of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Were President of the USA

If You Were President of the USA

We have a lot of smart people on this forum, and a lot of dumb politicians in Washington D.C.. If you were elected President of the United States today, what would you do about our dependence on foreign oil and the economy? Would nuclear energy be in your plans? How about hydrogen and electric vehicles? What about drilling in ANWR or Montana where a oil field has been discovered to contain over 40 billion barrels of oil recently?

I feel this issue is the most important one facing our great nation right now!

Now is your chance to sound off.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Nothing but flap my gums like the rest of do/did, because congress holds the power to make such changes, not the President.

While I'm thinking about it, the states would have a lot more luck trying to change things themselves.
    "Just blame Sixto"

True, and that may be the REAL problem. Buffoons running the country!
    God bless our troops!

First thing I would do is close the borders and run out all the illegals. You get rid of 20 million or more illegals that are on our roads and demand would drop. Then I would start looking into alternate energy sources.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I pretty much agree with Sixto. I would make empty promises that I have no power to fulfill.

I would veto every single bill that comes to my desk that doesn't have a reference to where the authority to pass that bill comes from.

I would also call all of my 'leaders' of my executive branch, and tell them they have about two weeks to prove they can do their job, or they can start looking for another.

I would not appoint any judge who had ever made a 'feeling' based ruling, and I would immediately pardon the 2 Border Patrol agents, and probably a lot of other people. I would be a pardoning son of a gun...

We had a thread on here a while back on Jury Nullification. How about POTUS Nullification?

Now, if I could be King...
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; June 4th, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    I would'nt be President but if I was the Dictator of the U.S. I would make some changes.

Nuclear power, incentives for alternative energy, higher gasoline tax, no tax on desiel. Tax credits for solar and wind power.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I would push for drilling anywhere in the US that might have oil, push to build more nuclear plants, push for hydrogen, electric, solar, wind or what ever the next advancement is in alternative energy. And keep a free market.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Surround myself with smart people, not yes men.
    -Biker

Senior Moderator
    If you were elected President of the United States today, what would you do about our dependence on foreign oil and the economy?
    Do my best to make the idiots in Congress understand that not only is it suicidal for a nation to to be dependent on other nations and that it is tactically unsound as well.

Would nuclear energy be in your plans?
    I would do what I could to encourage private industry to pursue that,perhaps offering incentives and such and reducing red tep and endless government regulation to make it worth doing. We know what works and what dont. Lets streamline the process.

How about hydrogen and electric vehicles?
    Definatley. That would complete the plan to reduce or eliminate dependency on foreign oil supplys.

What about drilling in ANWR or Montana where a oil field has been discovered to contain over 40 billion barrels of oil recently?
    Sure.If its there, lets get it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    To answer the question as intended, I would do anything possible to end foreign dependence, cut taxes to a very minimal rate, end all but the very basic social programs and help the economy by employing lots of construction workers to build a very large wall.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Less money/tax breaks to oil companies to find new sources of oil, more money to sustainable fuel sources that will last into the 22nd century and not have a supply/demand fluctuation.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Bring some "facts" to the public.

First is our issue with refineries. Give serious tax credits to make MORE. And bring to congress (and do ALL to force them to pass it) a law to mandate only ONE type of gasoline for all of USA (people do not know that not all gas is alike and that also creates issues). This last issue is a bigger problem when one considers that making "gas" for CA cannot be re-directed to FL or NY if needed.

Think about that and then wonder where are "problems" really are.

The other is to scrap the corn-based ethanol since it's at best energy neutral and more likely a negative (it takes MORE energy to produce it than it gives - so what do we gain? And the waste is as bad as what we get from gas)

A good replacement is liquid coal - research on how our own military is looking into it.

Get more diesel engines on the road. I've heard one can convert these engines to burn the cooking oils from restaurants. A good way to "remove" the oils from our environment. I would suggest the local school boards convert their school buses since many are hurting RIGHT NOW in fuel costs.

Get nuclear power plants online. We get 20% from that and Europe gets about 80%.

Get more coal plants. China is allegedly putting up two a month.

Russia is GIVING tax breaks to companies that drill for more oil.

Again... get the facts out to the public. I seriously do NOT believe that people know about Europe, China, and Russia.

Brazil is energy independent with sugarcane. THE MOST EFFICIENT ethanol conversion in that branch of science.

We have the LEAST efficient. South America has "better" telephone systems then the US... why?

Their "stuff" is NEW!!!!

My point?

The technology (and processes) we have available today can help offset many of the issues we perceived when the decisions were made to find alternative ways to get energy.

Our great grandparent's coal mining, nuclear plants, and oil fields are not the ones we can have TODAY.

Many people deny progress. Let us drill, mine and construct.

Or our way of life DIES.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I think the first thing on my agenda would be to issue national go anywhere permits to all the good members of DC.com. Probably be the first Pres to carry more and larger weapons that his security detail.

Then similar to others, get actual good people around me, and work toward domestication of natural resources, kick out the illegals, I probably would make some changes to the requirements to get in, if we make the process a little easier, maybe it would make more come here legally and actually contribute to the economy, instead of erode it. It's on the list, I'm not saying how high.

All politicians would immediately be subject to the same pay scale as the average working stiff, and the same med insurance as Medicare, bet that would get things straightened out in a hurry.

Ahhhh, what a dream.

The wall would go up.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    help the economy by employing lots of construction workers to build a very large wall.
    I've got a better idea.

Lets just catch the illegals that are already here and force them to build a wall...for food and clothing.

When done, we'll give them a free trip back to their homeland.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I'd order our army southbound in Iraq and TAKE THE OIL! They hate us already. We all know we're really there for the oil anyhow, so what's to lose. I'd then ramp up production and sell it to the world at $60 a barrel (that would shut the UN up). Heck, I'd even let Iraq have the profits after they paid back the billions we've aleady given them in aid packages.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links