Recommend a V6 car for max $25K

This is a discussion on Recommend a V6 car for max $25K within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Daniella Is the German cars just as good as the Japanese? The higher end ones yes, but they do require more maintenance....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a V6 car for max $25K

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Is the German cars just as good as the Japanese?
    The higher end ones yes, but they do require more maintenance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

OK, thanks! So I only have the choice of Toyota or Lexus?

He is driving my car..A 00 Neon with way to many issues..

We have Toyota and Lexus- any other brands in the same category?
    Is the German cars just as good as the Japanese?
    Lexus is the premium brand for Toyota.

Acura is the premium brand for Honda and both are fairly comparable.

Unless you're willing to go used or to expand your price range, you're not likely to get into an Acura or a Lexus though. Fortunately, both the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry are very good, albeit not very exciting cars.

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Not enough real info in this thread. I'm somewhat of an automotive junkie. I've gone from a '06 BMW to an '08 Honda Civic. Why? Well, for one, the Honda gets 30%+ better mileage. Also, it's more reliable and the Honda dealership service is MUCH better.

How old is he? Kids? Will this car be for him and you only or the whole family getting inside? How many miles will he drive in it per year? Can you afford 20mpg now that gas is over $4.00 per gallon and rising? Look to the future. Gas could be $8 to $10 a gallon before you know it.

So are we talking coupe or sedan? hatchback an option? Gas Mileage vs. raw power? How long will you keep the car? For a decade or only a couple years?

More info needed before anyone can give sound advice.

The German cars are MUCH MORE FUN TO DRIVE than the Japanese ones. You can get a 1-series or even 3-series BMW within your price range. Mini Cooper is probably the most fun to drive car going. I know, trust me. Mileage is good too on that one. I think you'd be surprised at the power of a Cooper-S. Also, they are supposed to be releasing a new JCW car next month... about $28k I think... Keep your eye open.

Anyway get back with more info.

VIP Member

No, other choices

OK, thanks! So I only have the choice of Toyota or Lexus?
    There are other choices but you will need to shop around and maybe go up in the price you are willing to pay.

You can possibly get a 6 cylinder Accord for around what you want to pay; maybe 2-4 K more depending on market and leather and frills. Maybe less for an LX.

I too am very down on the American made cars.

For decades I refused to consider a Japanese Car or a German car.
    The Germans killed my family members. The Japanese occupied my wife's parent's house and more.

But, after once buying a used Nissan pick up with a "Salvage Title" that ran for 8 years after I bought it without a lick of trouble, I switched.

Now, it is only Toyota or Honda. Some Nissans and Mazdas are probably OK too. And, at least both (I think) are sometimes produced in US plants.

I do not think gas prices will go down. SO, I would be inclined to reconsider the 6 cylinder engine, and stay clear of the V8s unless you are willing to spend lots of money on go juice.

The Maxima is hot! Although my GF's mom's Acura TL is awesome fun to drive!

Good power, somewhat sporty, family sized and Nissan's are dependable.

Does it have to be a NEW car?
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Subaru Outback
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member

Maxima Is Hot :) But Fuel Requirement :---

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    The Maxima is hot!

Does it have to be a NEW car?
    Almost bought one in 2003; again in 2007. Neat car. My wife could hardly pry my hands from the wheel and get me to leave without signing on the dotted line.

The big downside, at least the model I looked at required premium gas which is just more unnecessary expense.

Also, I think they are priced a little beyond where the OP wanted to go in price category.

With fuel what it costs now, I wish I had a 4 cylinder Civic or Corolla.
    Not fancy, not fast, but I'd have something left over for ammo.

If you have yet to drive a Lexus IS250 or IS350, check them out. The IS250 is also available in AWD. Fairly typically luxurious, given that it's a Lexus. Ride quality is very good, though this is their sport sedan. It's got a lot of space. The handling is fairly good. The power is exceptional, particularly in the IS350. New, the 250 goes for more than $30K, though you can find a pre-owned one with < 20Kmi for under $25K fairly easily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    How old is he? Kids? Will this car be for him and you only or the whole family getting inside? How many miles will he drive in it per year? Can you afford 20mpg now that gas is over $4.00 per gallon and rising? Look to the future. Gas could be $8 to $10 a gallon before you know it.

So are we talking coupe or sedan? hatchback an option? Gas Mileage vs. raw power? How long will you keep the car? For a decade or only a couple years?

More info needed before anyone can give sound advice.

The German cars are MUCH MORE FUN TO DRIVE than the Japanese ones. You can get a 1-series or even 3-series BMW within your price range. Mini Cooper is probably the most fun to drive car going. I know, trust me. Mileage is good too on that one. I think you'd be surprised at the power of a Cooper-S. Also, they are supposed to be releasing a new JCW car next month... about $28k I think... Keep your eye open.

Anyway get back with more info.
    He his 26 with no kids the next 8-9 years. It will be both of us driving unless I can afford a Nissan Altima as well. Not sure about the difference between Sedan and Coupe but no hatchback. But we both like the look on cars like the Altima and Audi. And after the look of Audi Coupe they are in the game as well.

If I get way we will be leasing the car(s) for 36 months with an annual miles off 15.000. Thats why am saying 25-30 so we hopefully can afford two cars. Thats why price and power with very good driving skills has to go hand in hand..

So: it has to handle damn well and has power to max price of 30'
    Everything but hatchbacks for both of us..

If you are still looking for opinions, try what I did before getting a car for our college bound daughter. Check with the reputable auto mechanic shops (I know that's something of an oxymoron) for what they see the fewest times, breakdowns , and prices to get parts and repair.

We bought her a one year old Hundai, since she will be driving home every chance she gets, about 350 miles, or else.

I have to put in a shameless plug for the V6 Hyundai Sonata (family member works for them). That said, I've had one and its solid, so at the least worth a look.

One thing I would stay away from is any Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar/whatever they're called now. They're terrible, not getting any better, and may be completely out of business within 5 years.

Other than that it mainly comes down to personal preference. Happy shopping.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I'm going with the Honda Civic Si. Sure, it's a 4-banger, but it's got 200 hp, and handles great with an upgraded rear sway bar. Good fuel efficiency, legendary Honda reliability. Great looks in the coupe.

Difference between coupe and sedan? coupe is a 2-door sedan has 4. I have a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe, EX. The car is averaging 32 MPG, but is a little lacking in the power department with only 140. With ~60 more HP, the Si version is about ideal.

Another great option would be a new JCW Mini Cooper. Base price for one of these is $28k. 208hp in a small tiny car like this is hair-raising, and it handles better than anything else out there. I have an '06 JCW mini, and the new one should be just as fun yet more refined, and significantly less expensive.

Mine is the Red/Black one in front

MINIUSA.com

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Best value IMO right now is the Mazda 6... they do have a V6 version out but you will forget about the V6 once you test drive the speed6. Its a turbo 4 that pushes 270 hp.

Best part is, you can drive like grandpa and still get 30+mpg bad part is it burns premium fuel.
    Daniella, I hafta agree with SIXTO here. I've been a long-time member of AZ's Mazda Club (no longer) and I've spent a lot of time tooling around them. The Mazda6 is a GREAT car if you can get a Speed6. I do *not* recommend the V6 motor, though. The automatic tranny's have had a lot of trouble with their clutches and thus, the tranny itself. I also know some guys who have had some issues with the motor and been through more than one. Normal maintenance of them can be a PITA, too (ie. to change the spark plugs, the intake manifold has to come off).

The Speed6 is a great car and good on mileage. If you're still lookin' to head up this way to move, you'll want something decently heavy for the winter. Sometimes the plows around here take half the day to get out and running.

I could spend a lot of time going into options but I think this one is probably one of the best to consider. That or an older Audi S4. Just keep in mind maintenance costs.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Get Him a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi , It is an Awesome Ride.
    4 Wheel drive in case you need it!!
    It runs like a race horse!
    The Hemi will shut down 4 Cyl to help manage fuel!
    They Have a lifetime warranty on their powertrain.
    Then when the Interstate gets crazy you will go over the top of those matchbox mini-cars in a crash.

Power,American,room,4wheel drive++++
    JMO..

ETA: Do not lease!!!! BUY!!!
    I have sold cars, I know the business, research, get a good deal and buy!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links