No deadly jewelry allowed

This is a discussion on No deadly jewelry allowed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 'Pistol pendant causes airport holdup' That's the headline from the Toronto Star which is reporting that Marnina Norys, a 39-year-old Ph.D. student in Canada, was ...

Thread: No deadly jewelry allowed

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

'Pistol pendant causes airport holdup'

That's the headline from the Toronto Star which is reporting that Marnina Norys, a 39-year-old Ph.D. student in Canada, was stopped by security and prohibited from wearing her necklace into the terminal.

Last week, security officials at Kelowna International Airport in British Columbia forced Norys to remove a silver necklace with a pendant in the shape of a Colt .45 pistol.

The 2-inch pendant apparently was deemed a security risk.

"When the woman pointed at the pendant I had no idea what she was talking about," Norys told the Star. "They made me feel ashamed, as if I should have known that it was wrong to wear this type of jewelry."

An airport security official told Norys was told that replica firearms are banned from planes and that she'd have to check her jewelry.

According to the Star, Dave Smith, director of screening operations with the Canadian Air Transport Authority (CATSA), issued a written apology to Norys and wrote that the screening officer "made a judgment call, rather than refer to CATSA's standard operating procedures. In retrospect, your revolver-shaped pendant is not a threat and should have been allowed on board the aircraft." --Roger Yu

Why am I not surprised,single digit IQ security people are scary
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    First shirts now jewelry.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    And this was Canada. IF it was the US of A she would have been strip searched, led away in cuffs, and subjected to involuntary mental assessments and counseling.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

my dad is a painter

He was flying to washington for work and had some assorted watercolor supplies in his briefcase Tsa Freaked and this was pre 9/11 possibly even pre first trade center bombing but the combo of foil paint tubes and his brushes and pads of paper looked like a loaded mag barrel and recoil spring i was only about 5 or 6 and i still remember the fear on securities face.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The higher ups have apoligized and said theguard will be retrained.

Sponsored Links