My son's kindergarten project

This is a discussion on My son's kindergarten project within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So my son comes home from school one day with a homework assignment. The first thing I'm asking myself is why is there a homework ...

Thread: My son's kindergarten project

My son's kindergarten project

So my son comes home from school one day with a homework assignment. The first thing I'm asking myself is why is there a homework assignment in K? I mean he brings home stuff for us to read with him, but this was a project with instructions typed out on a sheet of paper.

Anyways, he has to make a poster about what he wants to be when he grows up and what he has to do to be his choice. Ok innocent enough, he can have pictures or drawings etc. and we have to put it on a poster board.

He's wanted to be all kinds of things, but for this he says he wants to be a policeman on the SWAT team. Now, I probably let him watch more TV than he should, but I was really trying to figure out where he got hooked on SWAT. Must have been that solitary episode of COPS or something. So as I start to help him put this together, I'm looking on the internet for pictures to help him describe his wanted profession and I realize that this might not be "politically correct" for our wonderful school system. With liberal zero tolerance policies these days, and remembering stories about kids getting suspended for having Glock pens, drawing pitcures with guns, having spent shells etc., I start to worry that this is going to be a problem. And I'm having trouble finding anything SWAT related that doesn't have guns plastered everywhere. I managed to find a few pics that were relatively tame along with some armored vehicles and an APC, and we put it together along with some stuff about going to college and the police acedemy. At this point I figure, its not a problem for my wife and I, if the school says something we'll deal with it.

So he goes off to school the next day and I'm just waiting to get a call from my wife. She went to see him show his project, and I was shocked to find out that everything was fine, and that the teacher (she's at retirement age BTW) actually asked what kinds of weapons do they use since they are "Special Weapons And Tactics". So all of my fears did not come true, but I am not going to assume that we'll be this lucky in the future. I can forsee that i will probably have to defend my family's position on firearms to some principal someday, and while it shouldn't be necessary, I'm almost looking forward to it.

Has anyone else had to deal with this with their kids and school?

2. Remove Ads

I think it's so ridiculous the stuff we have to go through to try not to rock the boat nowadays it's ridiculous,whatever happened to common sense went out the door when it became zero tolerance,I think under the circumstances you did great,had it been another teacher and you sent gun pictures you might of been getting "junior" out of lockup.It coulda been worse he coulda said I wanta be like Ted Kennedy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Had to deal with a LOT of things concerning my kids and the schools.......but not that in particluar. My daughter did bring a bullseye target that she'd shot up one weekend with me at the range to school once. Nothing happened and/or nobody from the school saw/heard about it. I went up one side and down the other with her about that. She didn't really understand at the time why I didn't want her doing that......but a few more years in school she saw a couple of 'incidents' that brought it to light.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

One of the little girls that my daughter goes to school with brought in a .45 ACP round that she picked up at home, her dad is a LEO, and gave it to one of the boys as a “present”. Well, even before calling the school, the boy’s mother was on the phone with my wife wanting to know if it was safe and what she should do about it. Should she call the school or just call the girls parents? Needless to say this little boy’s mother is quite liberal and anti-gun. She just did not know how to cope!

The school went so far as to offer to expel the 4 year old girl because she was trying to impress a little boy!

I told the little boy’s mother that by pressing things with the school it would only hurt an innocent little girl and that she should take it up with the parents and, if need be, the Department he worked for.

As parents we need to make sure that we are accountable for the supervision we give our kids and how we raise them. A young child should not be punished because we failed in our job.

Next year my daughter goes into kindergarten and I am sure that we will see more things happen as she gets older. All we can do is try to help her understand the rights from the wrongs and to understand what it takes to “get along” as she grows up.

I fear the day I have kids in the public school system...

The wife and I are so...well...we just do not care about political correctness. Your title does not impress us, how ever many years you have done whatever it is you do does not impress us. Who you are, how you treat others impresses us. We do not care if you disagree with our opinions and political positions, just be respectful.

I know we are going to go to a lot of parent/teacher meetings...and I am fine with it.

I am not going to raise my kids to just accept things as they are. I want them to be intelligent, challenge authority (in a respectful manner). Ask "How do you know that?"

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Wow, glad to hear that it worked out just fine. Was he able to answer the question about weapons?

It's sad how far we've gone down hill. I graduated in 1990, I used to have a shotgun in my truck during hunting season and I even took my Bow to school my sophomore year for gym class, that was on the BUSS . Yes, it had arrows with it, of course they had practice points, I did get the okay from my gym teacher also.

It's good that more people are coming over to our side, but it's the growing divide that worries me, there is very little middle ground anymore. I wonder if the will try to classify Hoplophobia as a registered disses and draw benefits from the gov't after being exposed to the sight of a gun.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I had a boy scout knife i carried everywhere even school and whittled on wood at recess
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    I am not going to raise my kids to just accept things as they are. I want them to be intelligent, challenge authority (in a respectful manner).
    That's kind of our approach as well. Mine are too young to understand any of it yet, but the older I get the more I don't feel like accepting the status quo.

Where it gets difficult, is that these differences in opinion or "values", get written into policy. And to violate policy is breaking the rules. Many institutions will be take it or leave it.

Senior Moderator
    We've already discussed this...

It's only getting worse and worse. If we want our kids to have the kind of education we want them to have we are going to have to do it ourselves.

Hence... we are homeschooling.

There will be Math, English, Science, Ballistics, Social Studies, Weapons of the World and Music... The rest will be extra.

a big +1 Lima. we are starting homeschooling next year. my oldest is in 1st grade and her teacher doesn't like her NRA lunch bag says it promotes violence.

We give our kids the latitude to put together their projects, but tending to the sensibilities of school ninnies is not high on my list of priorities. As long as our kids learn from their projects (and it is what i want them to learn)--I will fight tooth and nail. I've already had a few conversations with teachers about some of their assignments and the reasoning behind it (see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...a-related.html)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We've already discussed this...

It's only getting worse and worse. If we want our kids to have the kind of education we want them to have we are going to have to do it ourselves.

Hence... we are homeschooling.

There will be Math, English, Science, Ballistics, Social Studies, Weapons of the World and Music... The rest will be extra.
    Lima what will be really fun is the ballistics lab. AKA range time.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links