Will the real paranoid please stand up.

This is a discussion on Will the real paranoid please stand up. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So today was graduation day. My son, much to my amazement, actually graduated high school. A proud accomplishment in this parent’s mind and a major ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the real paranoid please stand up.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Will the real paranoid please stand up.

So today was graduation day. My son, much to my amazement, actually graduated high school. A proud accomplishment in this parent’s mind and a major milestone for him.

After the ceremony, the new graduate, his sister, the ex-wife (ya, we are still on good terms) and I went out to eat.

At the restaurant, we were discussing my son’s future trip to Costa Rica. He is going to go in January with his aunt and is starting to make preparations.

The first step is getting his passport. Since he never learned to drive (his choice), when he submitted his application, he did not have a government issued identification card. According to the passport application, he did submit all the necessary requirements as the alternative. His application came back rejected (somebody was confused) and he now needs to get five, count them five, pieces of identifying documents. My ex-wife is “assisting” with the accumulation of the documents.

So the conversation goes something like this:

Me: How goes the application process?

Ex-wife: We are in the process of getting him a state issued ID. We need a new birth certificate as the State Department still has the original.

(It was my suggestion to get either his driver’s learner’s permit or a state issued ID card. A simple procedure that would have circumvented this whole process, but does anyone listen to dad? Noooooooooooooo.)

Me: And are you just going to resubmit the application with just the new ID?

Ex-wife: No. We can’t do that. If you get rejected the first time, you have to submit the five documents. I am sure they have pushed a button on their computer system that has flagged him. If he resubmits his application with just what they wanted in the first place, they are going to deny him permanently and flag him so that he will never be able to get a passport, ever. (I am not exaggerating here. That is what she said.)

Me: I think you are being a little paranoid.

Daughter: Dad. Don’t talk about paranoid. You carry a gun.

Help me out. Did I miss something here?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Paranoid is thinking people are out to get you,carrying a gun is just being prepared in case they do try to get you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You are not paranoid. Don't take this wrong but your daughter is naive. I'm sure she is young and has not yet realized the real need to be ready for the bad people that inhabit the world with us.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

B52
    What do you expect? Our great school system teaches the youngsters that we CCWers are paranoid folk. We all know the government is always there too protect us,lol. Keep packin my paranoid friend, by the way congrats on your son graduating!

Maybe a little touch of paranoia isn't always a bad thing? Combine this with being aware of the world around you, the way things are, and news headlines and the possibilities----I'd think the average concealed carry citizen is a walking, talking, living, breathing strategic force of their own. The little inkling of others perceived paranoia towards us just means we have all of the possibilities in the front of our minds all of the time compared to the sheep that forget or place them in the back of theirs.

As was said earlier "Paranoid is thinking people are out to get you,carrying a gun is just being prepared". I am amazed at how many just don'tget it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Out of the mouths of babes...I too think a little paranoid is good.

As for the passport...I'm betting more to the story...wrong documents sent, validated birth certificate etc etc. Good luck.

Rick

Here are some words of wisdom you can share with your daughter, because mine said virtually the same thing to me, 3 months prior to getting "roofied" and rescued by me from a frat party.

I told her a long time ago that in the jungle (the real world) if you look like food, you will be eaten.

After the roofie incident, I then told why I carry the gun:

I carry the gun because I walk anywhere I please without fear, because you look like food and I don't.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Paranoid is what the unprepared call the prepared to justify their lack of preparedness.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

As Clint Smith said, "I have a gun; what do I need to be paranoid about?"
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Main Entry: para·noia
    Pronunciation: "par-&-'noi-&
    Function: noun
    1 : a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
    2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others
    Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    These days, excessive situations have been reported daily. Those who may have been termed paranoid several days ago might actually have a justification for being so today with current circumstances.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Like the old saying goes, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

Your daughter is naive, but that is one of the charms of the young.

Daughter wanted to 'push your buttons' and knew that would be the area to do it in.

Your doing fine. I got two daughters, they're powered by emotion and estrogen is the catalyst. Being young she really dosn't have an educated clue yet.....and nobody in my family really listens to 'daddy' either. I'm seen by the women in my life as either a disciplinarian or an ATM most of the time.

Funny though, when any of 'em are 'uncomfortable' with thier surrondings they'll all 'gravitate' close to daddy 'cause he's carrying.

As for the passport, that's just a PITA any way ya go about it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you're not at least a little paranoid, you're just not paying attention.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links