Childhood in Black and White.

This is a discussion on Childhood in Black and White. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CHILDHOOD Our Childhood in Black and White. I think you'll enjoy it. Whomever wrote this described childhood to a 'T. Black and White (Under age ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood in Black and White.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Childhood in Black and White.

CHILDHOOD
    Our Childhood in Black and White. I think you'll enjoy it. Whomever wrote this described childhood to a 'T.

Black and White
    (Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,
    Spread the rabbit ears as far as they
    go..
    Pull a chair up to the TV set,
    'Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet.'

My mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice-pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring)-- no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE, and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries, but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option, even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than
    gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in
    detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had
    then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo,
    X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah .. and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites,
    and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our
    butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt
    spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front step, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T; SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED.
    I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

I'm under 40 and I remember those days vividly. It's amazing we ever lived this long without all of the new improvements...

Just imagine, we didn't even have biometric gun safes.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm 37 and I remember all of that stuff.

Remember when your rabbit ears or roof antenna brought in 2 or 3 channels in black and white yet there seemed to be more to watch, (or more worth watching), than now with hundreds of cable or satellite channels?

Nice. Brought back some good memories.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Nice. Brought back some good memories.
    I saw a bunch of kids playing "King of the Mountain" the other day on a HUGE pile of woodchips out at the fairgrounds, it brought back some fond memories!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Remember LOL I'm 50 I lived that stuff
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I remember when "Run sheepie run" was a kids game, not how 99% of the population lives!

VIP Member
    Wow do I remember all of those too......I'm 55. I'll try to add of few of my own right off the top of my head.

Speaking of televisions:

We'd add "tin foil" flags to the rabbit ears to help the reception.

It seemed like it took forever for the tv to warm up and come on.

TV problems were commonplace, we'd take out suspicious tubes and take them to a free test machine at the local convenience store. Actually sometimes banging on the side of the cabinet would shake something inside and the tv would clear up.

Remember when the picture would "roll" and sometimes you could adjust it out with the "horizontal hold".

Did ya'll ever have "Dialing for Dollars" theatre?

We'd turn off the tv during a thunderstorm because "it would attract lightning".

No such thing as a remote control (that was my job).

Saturday morning television for kids (Cartoons, Fury, Tarzan, etc)

Here's the one that kills me today- Back then it was thirty minutes of local news at noon, thirty minutes of nat'l news in the evening followed by thirty minutes of local news, then thirty minutes of local news at 10 pm. That totals 2 hours of news in 24 hours. Now there are how many 24/7 newschannels? Do we really have that much news to report today? Result, I think there is basically a news void and the media fills that void with junk news so they have something to fill their airtime.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

A wee bit under 40, but I recall much of that.

One of my elementary school playgrounds (DoD school overseas) was completely paved. Swingsets and all other apparatus were on concrete. Our jungle gym was essentially a cubed array of steel bars, bars spaced about 2 feet apart. The 'padding' was a set of chewed up rubber mats, about 1 inch thick, right on top of the concrete.

-JT

Over 50 too, and I remember our TV had a channel 1!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    My take (at age 62) about TV is that when I was a kid we had about 6 to 8 channels, and there was always something interesting to see. Now we have 50+ channels and they are all filled with crap!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This is why I'm thankful for my family.

I'm 24 and I lived that same kind of life growing up (well, minus the TV part since we did have basic cable...but we weren't allowed to watch after breakfast or before dinner)

I Remember Walking Down The Road .22 Over Sholder Daddy Gave Me 15 Bullets To Squrrell Hunt If Seen Cop Just Waved I Was 13 Braught Home 6-7 Squerrel Good Ole Days 1970

VIP Member
    Now at 68 I remember -- now what was that I was saying?

Joking aside what technology was available in any given year was also a function of where you lived at the time. Each time we moved within days of travel we advanced, or retreated, years in technology -- especially communication.

Country vs. town vs. suburbia/urban "parenting" (I hate that word) was different also. I think things are a lot more uniform these days.

FWIIS: The Shadow Knows that radio was in color (in my mind) and TV was a retreat to B&W.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links