Vehicle-borne Flame throwers and you...

This is a discussion on Vehicle-borne Flame throwers and you... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok...I'm going to preface this "scenario" with a bit of info for those who haven't seen them yet. There are Flamethrower "Kits" for vehicle exhausts ...

Thread: Vehicle-borne Flame throwers and you...

Ok...I'm going to preface this "scenario" with a bit of info for those who haven't seen them yet. There are Flamethrower "Kits" for vehicle exhausts to light the unburned fuel coming out the exhaust. These typically only work in non-fuel injected vehicles(unless you muck with your engine and make it REALLY inefficient). To get around the non-efi problem with the kits, folks have taken to adding an extra fuel injector and tacking them either to the exhaust pipe itself or through the rear bumper just above the exhaust.

My question is what do you do when someone in a hopped up car fires off a 15' fueled flame toward your vehicle(directly behind them in traffic) on purpose!

...and yes this question is posed because my father and I almost "ran into" this dilemma this past weekend. I watched more in shock than anything else at first when I witnessed the vaporous stream of fuel that shot out from a tiny hole in the bumper about an inch above the exhaust pipe following a burnout and takeoff. We were lucky in two ways:
    1) his fuel stream didn't light off (which I'm guessing that means either he hit the wrong button or his spark plug didn't work).
    2) I was in small pickup with 15 gallons of gas in gas containers in the bed and the stream shot far enough to connect with the drivers side front end of the truck. You can imagine my fears of "what if" had that fuel stream actually lit.

It's a scenario worth contemplating is it not?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I was gonna ask if you were kidding, but then I realized that you just can't make up stuff like that!

Never heard of such a thing, but I'd sure as heck get a plate # and call the local PD!

Get there license plate and call 911. Obviously you are looking directly at there rear bumper. 15 feet is to close anyway. You should always leave room to manuver between you and other cars.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

It all sounds illegal to me. I've heard of these set-ups. New stuff on the market tends to take a while before law makers catch up. Local city ordinances can take care of things a bit faster. Get tag number, call the local PD, and a good description, then hopefully witness the take down.

Are you sure it was fuel he squirted and not something else?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sure it wasn't a Nitrous Oxide vent?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Sure it wasn't a Nitrous Oxide vent?
    If the front bumper didn't smell like fuel when I got to the destination(3 more blocks away). It smelled like fuel. I've seen them in action. Plus the nitrous purge valves usually dump out the hood or similar somewhere and don't have any fuel, just NO.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would assume any vehicle that ignites a flame 15 feet behind it would be a road hazard and I would have got a plate number and turned them in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

15' does sound like alot. I don't think they are designed to do that, but we all know how ingenious some do-it-yourselfer's can be. By the way----nitrous is illegal here anyway, and more than likely most places.
    Exhaust Flame Thrower Kits Ė Flamethrowers For Cars, Motorcycles, Trucks & SUVís
    Exhaust Flame Thrower Kits

It is a matter of screwing in a spark plug it the tail pipe to make the flame. Somebody should help the fellow out by explaining that the spark plug should be screwed directly into the gas tank and not it tailpipe. Spark=Big Boom.

VIP Member
    Well I drive a nearly 3 ton EW truck with 300+ft lbs of torque. Most of these are likely installed on little ricer mobiles. There are likely consequences for shooting flames at my truck that these people have not considered.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Well I drive a nearly 3 ton EW truck with 300+ft lbs of torque. Most of these are likely installed on little ricer mobiles. There are likely consequences for shooting flames at my truck that these people have not considered.
    Yeah...that's why I miss my old truck. I was in my fathers little beater 4 banger truck. I would have been tempted to just tromp on the gas if I was in my old truck (couldn't afford the gas anymore at an avg of 7-8mpg).

-The Mist (2007)

Used to have a old Dodge 15 Pass Van If you saw people down the block and to stomped the gas to the floor for a few seconds and then let off the gas. It would backfire like hell. If you timed it right you would scare the hell out of the people walking down the street. Sounded like gunshot. Wrong thing now to do but too too funny back then.

Sponsored Links