Any one trade stocks/options?

This is a discussion on Any one trade stocks/options? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am getting back into stock/option trading and was wondering if any one else out there does that, too. I would be nice to exchange ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one trade stocks/options?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Any one trade stocks/options?

I am getting back into stock/option trading and was wondering if any one else out there does that, too. I would be nice to exchange ideas.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I've dabbled in it with an ETrade and Ameritrade account, but mostly I'm into Mutuals right now.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My advice is to just invest in Index funds, you'll hedge your bets/investments against each other and ride the average gains in the stock market which is 10%
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I "cashed out" a number of years ago. Been wondering if I should ease back in and try to "play the house". I'm thinking I should........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Depends on what you mean by "trading stocks". I own a number of mutual funds and several individual stocks as well as those funds that are part of our employer 401k/403b retirement plans.

I don't day trade. There are much easier ways to give away my money.

I have a few penny stocks as a hobby, but I think (and I am not a financial professional) mutual funds are the way to go. They manage the stocks and the diversification. All you need to to is muscle through the prospectuses and choose your risk level based on your situation at hand.

Plus a good Money Market for emergency savings, and possibly an IRA of some sort (Roth or Std.)

I would recommend checking out Dave Ramsey, he is pretty good at this stuff and his radio show is down right amusing.

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

Plus he has a listing called ELP (endorsed local providers) comprised of people that he and his staff screens to make sure they will have the integrity and service that he would require if he were using them himself.

My two cents, and unfortunately this is not tax deductible.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I pulled all of my funds out of stocks, mutuals, etc. I do not believe investments are keeping up or can keep up with inflation. I think the only thing that will be able to keep up with inflation is property. And right now, it's a buyers market.

All of my money goes into firearms, undeveloped acerage, and an attempt to get my mortgage paid off in the next 3 years.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

I pulled all of my funds out of stocks, mutuals, etc. I do not believe investments are keeping up or can keep up with inflation.
    My energy funds are up an average of 12% ytd and nearly 18% on a rolling 12 basis. That covers inflation pretty nicely.

Absolutely nothing wrong with undeveloped land though......as they say, it's the one thing they're not making any more of!

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    My advice is to just invest in Index funds, you'll hedge your bets/investments against each other and ride the average gains in the stock market which is 10%
    With index funds, you are guaranteed to underperform the index.

David, point well taken...Energy and Gold are two of the more notable exceptions.

I just don't see energy funds as a viable long-term investment with the way congress is snapping at the heels of the oil companies.

I'm much more interested in long-term investments than doubling my money. That might be short-sighted, but I don't like how the gov't is playing around with the value of the dollar.

If anything, the drop in the value of the dollar benefits me because the debt that I do owe becomes smaller(relatively) and the items I have purchased outright, increase in value(relatively).
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

I'm much more interested in long-term investments than doubling my money.
    I hear ya! All my investments are oriented towards our retirement.

The mistake many people make, is that they think that investing for the long-term means that you have to keep every investment forever. That's wrong. Portfolios need to be examined and reallocated periodically. Not in an attempt to time the market, but rather to recognize and react to macro level changes that occur. As an example, I was pretty heavily invested in REIT's (real estate investment trust funds) several years ago. As you can imagine, they did very well in the real estate boom.......but had I not re-examined my holdings and reacted appropriately, I'd be sitting at the bottom of an off-ramp right now holding a sign......

There's money to be made in any market. Remember, you can't buy low and sell high if you don't first buy low!

But day-trading is still for those that are too lazy to get on a plane and fly to Las Vegas to give their money away!

I trade stocks and options. Primarily stocks though. Typically I double or triple my stock gains with my options, however, options require at least ten times the attention in my experience, so the payoff is not always acceptable.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I trade stocks and options. Primarily stocks though. Typically I double or triple my stock gains with my options, however, options require at least ten times the attention in my experience, so the payoff is not always acceptable.
    I'll call BS on this one. If you're telling the truth, you should drop everything and print money, all day, like you claim. The market is only open for 6.5 hours/day. The only way you can make this believable is to come out and say that you never have stock gains. That is more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGlock View Post
    I'll call BS on this one. If you're telling the truth, you should drop everything and print money, all day, like you claim. The market is only open for 6.5 hours/day. The only way you can make this believable is to come out and say that you never have stock gains. That is more plausible.
    I'd say you know little to nothing about options. If someone has market average gains on their stocks, lets throw out 10% as a number for example, then doubling that is making 20% on options. You think someone who is successful trading options can't make 20% a year? You also think you can live off of 20% a year? You must be wealthy already. I don't have enough saved to live off 20% a year. You should think carefully about what your saying.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGlock View Post
    I don't understand. What does the length of time the market (I assume you refer to the NYSE) is open each day have to do with it?

Just curious.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links