Rangepig Rant

This is a discussion on Rangepig Rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, they finally closed it. We have been shooting at this pit for years. I have tried to put together a clean-up party, but no ...

Thread: Rangepig Rant

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Rangepig Rant

Well, they finally closed it. We have been shooting at this pit for years. I have tried to put together a clean-up party, but no one wanted to help out. The place was full of broken glass from people shooting bottles, cans, old TV's, Computers, plywood, you name it. The Forest Service declared it a public hazard.
    I shoot at paper targets, Milk jugs, pop cans, but I pick up my trash before I leave, it's not hard. We have been pushing for a range up here, but have run into a brick wall with the Forest Service. (Imagine that)
    Please, if you see someone not picking up their targets before they leave, say something to them! If we don't we may end up with no place to shoot!
    Attached Images
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that, it used to irk me to no end in PA when I would go to one of the state ranges and see the back stops all tore up from intentional abuse.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Inconsiderate idiots are abound everywhere in outdoor activities. I think that we, as a community with a shared interest (shooters in general, not just Defensive Carry members) need to take a cue from the guys that play in the sand dunes. There, a grassroots effort to pick up the pieces left by others, combined with support from the forest service and bureau of land management and a little dedication brought about a culture change that has gotten everyone on board - not just a few frustrated people, but everyone that attends the events. Folks don't realize how easy it is to lose access to these public lands for our activities because of the actions of a few jerks.
    Last edited by JD; June 9th, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Removed language work-a-round.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Well, they finally closed it. We have been shooting at this pit for years. I have tried to put together a clean-up party, but no one wanted to help out. The place was full of broken glass from people shooting bottles, cans, old TV's, Computers, plywood, you name it. The Forest Service declared it a public hazard.
    I shoot at paper targets, Milk jugs, pop cans, but I pick up my trash before I leave, it's not hard. We have been pushing for a range up here, but have run into a brick wall with the Forest Service. (Imagine that)
    Please, if you see someone not picking up their targets before they leave, say something to them! If we don't we may end up with no place to shoot!
    If you have to depend on the general public to help out-----forget it. That's why I'm glad to pay $100 a year for local club membership and range usage. I did the public range thing for quite a long time and quite frankly---it stressed me out most times. In my book, there's no good reason to have to put up with retards, ignoramouses or Myspace pimps

1943 - 2009
    How long before that sign gets shot to pieces?

The Forest Service closed an unofficial shooting range here a couple of years ago, just too many slob shooters leaving their garbage behind.

My club has a range on leased State land, costs me $85.00 a year. Money well spent.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've mentioned what we do around here every year. Its what keeps all of our pits open. I do this as does about 100 or so other people. We usually do it in November.

Good Gun Foundation
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you have to depend on the general public to help out-----forget it. That's why I'm glad to pay $100 a year for local club membership and range usage. I did the public range thing for quite a long time and quite frankly---it stressed me out most times. In my book, there's no good reason to have to put up with retards, ignoramouses or Myspace pimps
    Amen, hallelujah, pass the ammunition.

-JT

Agreeing with Ram Rod. I belong to a private range also. It does get a little cluttered every month or two, but the range crew and brass hunters do a fairly nice job of keeping it clean. You may want to check out local clubs in your area. The membership dues might be worth it to you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I shoot on BLM land north of Phoenix and I always take out more (usually way more) than I bring in. But there are always TVs, refigerators, broken bottles, you name it. Sad.

Same thing happened her in MI a number of years back, People would go to a local gravel pit to shoot, the owners did not care, then the pigs moved in. Broken glass, old cans, wooden posts with nails in them, and then the gravel has to be cleaned before it can be sold. Yeah they posted signs and put it to a halt.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

That action shooting area at our club (where you're allowed to draw and shoot from holster) requires that people with access to that area spend one hour a month (outside of their shooting time) cleaning up or doing maintenance to the area.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    That action shooting area at our club (where you're allowed to draw and shoot from holster) requires that people with access to that area spend one hour a month (outside of their shooting time) cleaning up or doing maintenance to the area.

-JT
    Wow that's a really cool idea. I'd probably spend more than that if I had access to it!! Any chances your club wants to open a branch out here? haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Well in the Bikini state range fees at private clubs are between $165 and $315 per year.

And public rangers are very few and far between.. Sorry to hear they closed
    your public range, instead of cleaning it up.

VIP Member
    I'm afraid public lands will continue to dwindle for use by shooters. From litter left by the slovenly, to the environmental wackos who will be pushing closure due to 'lead poisoning the ground' there will be less & less places to shoot......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links