Tornado Warning - Signing Off

This is a discussion on Tornado Warning - Signing Off within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, we just got a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and a tornado watch as well, which is very rare for the Hudson Valley. Not unheard of, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Warning - Signing Off

Tornado Warning - Signing Off

Well, we just got a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and a tornado watch as well, which is very rare for the Hudson Valley. Not unheard of, but rare. So, signing off for a while, turning off computer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Let us know if you make it back alive.

OK, back! Just a little breezy, but no problems. This is from our local paper:

06/10/2008
    Tornado watch expiring; thunderstorms still likely

Here's the laest forecast from the National Weather Service:

Advertisement

A tornado watch for the region is set to expire at 6 p.m., but a severe thunderstorm watch remains in effect until 1 a.m.

The National Weather Service forcast calls for showers and thunderstorms tonight, mainly between 7 p.m. and 2 a.m.. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, heavy rain and frequent lightning. The overnight low will be around 63 degrees.

For Wednesday: Sunny with a high near 87. Northwest wind between 5 and 9 mph.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Glad it wasn't too bad.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Is it legal to have tornadoes in New York? Isn't NY a tornado free zone? What about a permit? Waiting period?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Being from NYC, I recall vividly my first night in a graduate student dorm in Ames, IA. Tornado WARNING sirens went off, and I had absolutely NO idea what was going on. The idea of being anywhere near a tornado had never before crossed my mind.

About half the students simply ignored the siren; they'd lived in Iowa and were used to these things, and a bit foolhardy maybe.

The others, myself included, huddled in the basement until well after someone said it was clear.

After living in Iowa for nearly 8 years (on and off), I've learned the difference between a Tornado WATCH and a Tornado WARNING.

The Watch means it is possible for tornadoes to form if not likely they will form.

The WARNING means someone (or the weather service) has determined that one has formed nearby and (not sure if this is exactly accurate) is on the ground. At that point, it is time to TAKE COVER.

There's nothing quite like watching a cold front move due east along the prairie.

You can see the temperature demarcation line at the edge of the storm, and sometimes if there is hail, the sky turns green just at the leading edge.

You can actually watch the sky for tornado formation, and many do. I've seen students go to the roof of a large building to watch the show.

I've also seen what happens when one rolls through the airport, the downtown area, etc.

Nature is awesome, and beautiful.

I wish my house in Texas had a basement, but they don't build them that way here.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Is it legal to have tornadoes in New York? Isn't NY a tornado free zone? What about a permit? Waiting period?

No. It's illegal to protect yourself from tornadoes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Nature is awesome, and beautiful.
    Well said!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Good Luck, we had some water spouts down in south Florida today.
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

Wanna play w/ a tornado? Come on down to Oklahoma!! There have been an outbrake of em around here latley. A small town about 1 1/2 north east of me no longer is there because of a tornado this year.
    God Bless America!!

If we did that in Kansas, we'ld never get to get on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If we did that in Kansas, we'ld never get to get on the computer.
    +1 for here in Nebraska. This year has been intense to say the least. For those of you that don't know, we have already hit the "average" number of tornados for one year. This is just the early part of the season too!

And for the record: A tornado warning means that "a thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado, or a trained spotter has seen, or doppler radar has indicated a tornado within a storm cell".

I moved from the middle of kansas to south texas tornados are no joke they seem to be getting bigger and do more damage every year down here no tornados yet but i did get ready fer a hurricane last year thank god it missed us
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    You had a 20 minute tornado warning? You were lucky. Ours lasted for several hours, and it got real bad. I just got my power back at 5am. Now I have to fix a busted door casing. I've never seen a door slam so hard that it busted the wall it was on.

They can happen so fast here in the Dallas area that a tornado siren can sometimes mean, "in case you were wondering why your dog is in the neighbor's tree, and so are you, you JUST got hit by a tornado!"
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links