A weapons lesson from insects (w/photo)

This is a discussion on A weapons lesson from insects (w/photo) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was working behind my house yesterday and happened on a somewhat unusual sight. What I saw involved two insects, one was some sort of ...

Thread: A weapons lesson from insects (w/photo)

VIP Member

A weapons lesson from insects (w/photo)

I was working behind my house yesterday and happened on a somewhat unusual sight. What I saw involved two insects, one was some sort of green larvae which we called caterpillars when we were kids, and the other looked a little like a wasp, but I think it's likely it was some dirt-dauber variety. Anyway the dirt dauber had straddled the caterpillar and was holding him up off the ground under his belly with some of his legs, while his other legs allowed him to easily walk around with the caterpillar. I think he was too heavy to fly with his load. It all sort of looked like an old WWII airplane with a torpedo strapped underneath.

On looking very close I could see that the dirt dauber had his mandibles biting into the caterpillar and that seemed to make the caterpillar stay still and very straight. In other words the captured caterpillar was not wiggling. Whenever the dirt dauber would lose his grip the caterpillar would wiggle as normal, and it was amazing how fast the dirt dauber could find and capture him again. Once found and re-bitten the caterpillar would become still and straight again.

The last I saw them the dirt dauber was carrying the caterpillar off into some deep grass.

What an obvious lesson from nature. Two insects, the caterpillar basically only had green camoflauge for defense, the dirt dauber was armed with mandibles and he totally dominated his heavier victim.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    You should post a sign: Mandible free zone. That should help those helpless caterpillars.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Too true. As for the sign it would sure make me feel safer. I mean who would have mandibles if you posted a sign!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Nature has many answers, if one knows how to see it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When you outlaw mandibles only criminals with have mandibles

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Mandibles dont kill catepillars, wasps kill catepillars!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Lesson learned ... speak softly and carry a big dirt dauber.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    If you had gotten closer you would have been able to see the wasp laying eggs inside of the caterpillar, once the eggs hatch the wasp larvae will consume the caterpillar from the inside out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If you had gotten closer you would have been able to see the wasp laying eggs inside of the caterpillar, once the eggs hatch the wasp larvae will consume the caterpillar from the inside out.

I think I've heard that before and wish I could have watched that happen. Though, I think I missed that part when they went in the "deep grass"

What a difference in egg-laying versus the typical paper type of wasp nest where each larvae has its own cell.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links