Buying American?

Buying American?

This is a discussion on Buying American? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been thinking a lot about the purchases I have made recently & especially some of the big ticket items I have been considering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying American?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Buying American?

I have been thinking a lot about the purchases I have made recently & especially some of the big ticket items I have been considering (guns, motorcycles, cars, etc.). I know that there are generally two large camps on this question. They seem to be:

a) Yes, buy American! Make sure it is from Union workers too!

b) Who cares? Buy whatever you want, the world is all the same from East to West.

The person in (a) seems to want me to buy American to support what the Unions have going. I'm not necessarily anti-Union but living in metro Detroit for many of my childhood years certainly gave me an up close & personal picture of both the good & bad sides of Unions. In short, I think a lot of Unions seem to abuse their power to achieve gains that are not reasonable.

The person in (b) is so cynical that my question seems irrelevant. I do think there is a moral & ethical element to this, not the least of which is the fact that I am an American & want our nation to prosper.

Thoughts, comments?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If buying "American only" made any real difference to our country I would do so in a heart beat. However, most of our stuff is sold to other countries and we end up buying it back from them (such as our good quality steel).

I tried to be patriotic and buy strictly American goods, but I soon found that there is actually very little of anything still made strictly in America and of the things that are made here, the quality may not be any better than imported stuff.

My XD45 is Croation made, but still benefits an American company, Springfield Armory. My holster is all American though and so is my gun belt. I buy a mix of American and imported ammunition.

I really whole hearteadly wish America could get back to producing a lot of things we used too.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    I noticed that Brownell's is indicating what 1911 parts are Made In America with a tiny American Flag in their 1911 catalog.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The problem is, that even with most big "American" companies, the products are all made in China. Go to any store and look at all the American brand names, then check country of origin. It's disgusting.

Example: I just bought today, in Home Depot, a replacement weed triimer, by Black & Decker. Sure enough, in small print on the box: Made in China.

Except for the service industries, it's almost impossible to buy anything manufactured here anymore.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Anymore, it can be difficult to identify the ultimate destination of that dollar you spend. To the degree that the business or product in question has earned my consideration, I'll often make an attempt to "buy local." Not otherwise. Country of origin or percentage origin is only one of a long list of criteria to consider.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

America is no longer a production country, but it has turned into a service country...

We produce nothing, but can service everything...

Administrator
    In a way...it's keeping all of the toxic industrial waste and pollution over there.
    They are getting our dollars but, they are also literally swimming in tons of nasty stuff.
    They will all be growing a third eye and an extra arm pretty soon.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

America consumes 89% of what we produce, the rest is exported. A few years ago when we had a strong dollar NGOs, MNCs and business' who were taking little steps abroad knew that labor and some raw materials (both are commodities) could be bought for cheap and sold here to undercut the competition, also we could waive our big economy around like a war club threating sanctions against countries we didn't like. but things are changing though my friends. OPEC nations are wanting to sell Oil for Euro currency, our commodities are becoming cheaper to purchase and foriegn inverstors know this and that is why our exports are hitting record highs and our imports (namely non-core commodities such as food and Oil) are suffering as the prices soar for them.

I could go on...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

It can be a tough question. For instance, if you do not buy that Toyota Tacoma because it is a Japanese vehicle who are you hurting? Are you hurting Toyota, which is a Japanese company, or are you hurting the factory worker who actually made the vehicle? That factory worker, by the way, happens to work in a factory in Fremont California.

DC Founder
    I buy what suits me best on big ticket items (cars and such). I bought a Nissan Truck and it was made in Tennessee. We also own a Chrysler, which is now owned by foreign interests. I think at this point there's not much we can do to bring back the good ole days....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    ........ not much we can do to bring back the good ole days....
    It wasn'tall that long ago when Wal-Mart proudly advertised"Buy American"!........Not a whole lot of American anything left in Wally-World.

When possible I buy American but it's much harder. I ride somewhere between the OP's a) and b).
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I try to buy American, but it's getting harder and harder to find items made in America. But if I have a choice I go with the USA.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I guess I would be your 'b' scenario. If I know for sure a product was built by a Union I keep looking. I detest Unions and I think they contributed to most of the problems we are having today. Oh, well, who is John Galt?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Now I am realizing that an even deeper problem exists. When a person buys an American good, the ownership of that company may be American & the gross profits may land in America but the production of that item is outsourced to a foreign nation.

Take my Springfield XD pistols, for example. Yes, I am buying from a company based in America (Illinois). Yes, they eventually get the "gross profits" from the purchase price of my pistol. However, the people doing the actual work on the pistol are the people of Croatia.

I think this semi-defeats the whole idea of "buying American." I want to keep the money here to support our fellow countrymen, and the wages paid in the production of that pistol to go to my "national neighbors," not giving away our financial leverage, piece by piece, to other nations like Croatia or Japan.

Why is this? Is it so expensive to pay someone here to build a pistol that the end cost would be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Why is this? Is it so expensive to pay someone here to build a pistol that the end cost would be a problem?
    Unions, minimum wage, strikes, entitlements...all contribute to the inflated price of American "labor".
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links