Metered Internet Use

This is a discussion on Metered Internet Use within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know how many people are aware of this but some ISP's are pushing to put meters on your Internet connecting and charge overages ...

Thread: Metered Internet Use

Metered Internet Use

I don't know how many people are aware of this but some ISP's are pushing to put meters on your Internet connecting and charge overages if you go over a set bandwidth. Time Warner has implemented a trial in Beaumont, Texas and I would suggest you call Time Warner and tell them how you feel if you do not agree with this business practice.

With todays Internet, these ridiculously low caps would be reached in no time.

If we let them implement this Nationwide it will do nothing but line their pockets with our hard earned money and also give them control over content that streams over the Internet.

Time Warner Cable - Golden Triangle Texas: Road Runner Select Plan

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Sounds like they are trying to squeeze out every bit of profit that they can. If they have a competitor in the area they may find out how unpopular their idea really is. Lets hope so.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Actually if you use a satellite provider you are already throttled and have been since the get go. Technology has evolved in the past few years to allow ISPs to monitor every packet sent by a particular user. Europe has been charging by bandwidth use for quite awhile. So this really is only new to our markets.

The technology has been being implemented for a few years now with the US based ISPs simply monitoring usage. The plans I have seen are similar to cell phone plans. You can buy speed and total download amount. The ISP will then set the throttle on your connection based on what you have purchased.

People who do a lot of music and video downloading will pay more, where as people like my parents who send the occasional email will pay less. Some vendors are even looking at per packet charging so you pay for exactly what you use. The people who will complain the most are those who use the most bandwidth from the ISP because today they are subsidized by the people like my folks who use very little bandwidth in the course of a month because they pay the same flat fee that the high usage person does. I have actually been looking forward to the go live of this type of ISP service for some time. It is far more equitable than the current flat fee system.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have to agree with Scott on this one. I'm not watching sitcoms and movies on the internet and if there is a way I don't have to pay for the 'potential' of watching them, I'm all for it.

What they are really after is the 1% or so that are running servers out of their house for the price of a regular internet connection.

And don't forget, it's a free market, you're more than welcome to take your business elsewhere.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    ISPs have been looking for ways to make more money for a while. Now that most people are online, they're running out of ways to increase their profit.

Remember a couple of years ago when they were talking about putting in a "fast lane" for people who pay more? Well, I already do. I pay for the fastest broadband I can get in my area. I will be more than a little upset if that price goes up without any improvement in service.

And why do I get the feeling that this new metered service won't reduce the cost for low usage customers? I can just see them setting the "floor" at the current prices for basic service and increasing it from there for the metered usage.

So don't get all happy with the anticipation of your prices going down. Because I'd be willing to bet that it won't. This is America after all, when does anything really get less expensive?

DSL providers are unlikely to restrict the amount downloaded to the extent that cable providers do. Cable providers want to keep their customers, of course, so they will structure their fees and bandwidths in a way that allows them to do that.
    Springfield P9C
    1960s Stevens Model 311

I love the free market!

For those who think this is a good idea then I guess it would also be a good idea to put meters on cable TV boxes and charge by the hour.

Cable companies are "monopolies" and in some causes they are the only broadband service provider in the area.

These caps are not geared to just squeezed the heavy user but also to generate more revenue from the casual user...you can see this by how low the caps are.

Look...people are just now starting to see the true potential of the Internet with likes of VOD, VOIP, VNC, Webcam use(to talk to Grandma and Grandpa) etc... With this New Explosion of the Internet, the Cable companies see $$$ and plan to screw us royally

The 1% or 5% of the so called "heavy user" problem is total BULL CRAP, but more so of the "over selling" of their network in certain areas along with poor engineering and budgeting.

I have worked is this industry for a good while so I have some knowledge how this work. People need to stop drinking the "KOOL-AID" that the cable companies are putting out there about the bandwidth crunch. You need to get Pro-Active about this issue just like you do about your GUNS or it will be too late.

This could be really bad for me... use of D.C. alone could bankrupt me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    People who do a lot of music and video downloading will pay more, where as people like my parents who send the occasional email will pay less. ...
    I was with you until this part. In my state (WA) the insurers got a law passed by us stupid voters, regarding the use of credit scores and insurance rates. They explained that this would allow them to discount people who are less risky, since people with good credit evidently drive safer.

The end result? Everyones rates are up, but especially those with less than perfect credit. No discount ever materialized, whatsoever.

I agree otherwise though, it's a free market. Spend your money elsewhere if you don't like it. But I don't for a minute believe it'll be used to only charge more to people who use and abuse.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Question is how can you spend your money elsewhere when these cable monopolies have the market in your area. I have only I cable provider in my area and I am not switching to DSL. Pretty much you are screwed with the cable companies.

Don't see it happening.

Remembering way back when... AOL. had a cap as well as my local ISP.

Both dumped those caps years ago in order to remain competitive.

It does not matter how much or by what method your current provider charges. Somebody out there wants to sell you cheaper, better, faster service for less money.

And that somebody will only prosper until there is a new somebody out there that wants to sell you even cheaper, better, faster service for still less money.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links