Man Who Fell Off Couch Laughing at TV Show Ends Up Pepper Sprayed, Arrested

This is a discussion on Man Who Fell Off Couch Laughing at TV Show Ends Up Pepper Sprayed, Arrested within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A British man who was so amused with BBC1ís "Have I Got News for You" that he fell off his couch in a fit of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Who Fell Off Couch Laughing at TV Show Ends Up Pepper Sprayed, Arrested

Man Who Fell Off Couch Laughing at TV Show Ends Up Pepper Sprayed, Arrested

A British man who was so amused with BBC1ís "Have I Got News for You" that he fell off his couch in a fit of laughter was not so happy when it got him arrested and pepper sprayed.

Christopher Cocker, 36, collapsed on the floor after laughing at a joke on TV, but his neighbor who heard the thud thought something bad had happened and called the police, the Daily Mail reported on Wednesday.

According to police, Cocker initially was cooperative but quickly became "aggressive" when asked his name and personal information. Cocker tried to shut his door on the officers, at which point he was pepper sprayed through a crack in the door.

Cocker then was handcuffed, arrested and taken to court, the Daily Mail reported. An unidentified police spokesman told the Mail that, given Cockerís aggression, they acted appropriately.

"Within the circumstances, we feel we used reasonable force," the officer told the Mail.

Cocker, of Blackburn, England, eventually pleaded guilty to resisting a police officer and was given a conditional discharge for six months following the May 20 incident, the Mail reported.

Cocker is shocked at the outcome of what he describes as minding his own business.

"I can't believe it ó I was thrown in the back of a police van before being stripped naked and put in a cell," Cocker told the Mail. "I was handcuffed behind my back and my ankles bound with plastic ties before six of them carried me to the van."

Cocker told the Mail he never thought he would end up in court for laughing at his favorite comedian.

It just keeps getting crazier across the pond.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    This is what happens when they believe the people have no rights, as is the case over there.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    It just keeps getting crazier across the pond.
    Cocker initially was cooperative but quickly became "aggressive" when asked his name and personal information.
    Doesn't appear too different from some folks on our side of the Atlantic.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would like to know what show he was watching........so that I DON"T tune in.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Doesn't appear too different from some folks on our side of the Atlantic.
    I can see both sides of this story. I suppose, if there were reports of a possible violent encounter, the police would want to make sure the guy at the door is the guy who lives there.

I don't think they should be able to hog-tie you and take you out of your home, however, once they determine that you ARE.

I never did get 'British Humor'...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Cocker, of Blackburn, England, eventually pleaded guilty to resisting a police officer and was given a conditional discharge for six months following the May 20 incident, the Mail reported.
    That's one of teh big things I have a problem with. Why is one still brought up on charges when it's clear he was in the right to begin with? Resisting arrest should be removed once it's been determined he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

At first look I thought he fell off a couch and his own pepper spray got him,but that is just ridiculous,I can see if somebody heard loud arguing and a scream then a loud thud or gunshots but seriously just a loud thud,and they call 911,I'm disabled and trying to walk around the house sometimes i lose my balance and big "THUD",I'd hate to get pepper sprayed because i fell
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Was he watching Hillary on the News??
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Crocker should not have opened the door in the first place...
    What's wrong with merry 'ole England?
    Those people have gone off the deep end...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    That's one of the big things I have a problem with. Why is one still brought up on charges when it's clear he was in the right to begin with? Resisting arrest should be removed once it's been determined he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place.
    Reminds me of the incident where a family traveling home from vacation left the guys wallet on the roof of his van, when it fell off in the street, a passerby called in a kidnapping, they were pulled over, all handcuffed, and when the family dog got out, he was shot and killed. I don't think they were charged, but the trauma is still there, and the family friend is still dead.

On the flip side, the police have to gain control of the situation, they don't know it's just an Innocent oops. I'm sure the number of these oops is pretty low compared to the real thing.

Charges after the facts are reveled, that's wrong. IMHO

Any one know how that would play out over here, the after the fact part?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    I don't think they should be able to hog-tie you and take you out of your home, however, once they determine that you ARE.
    Thats just it... he refused to allow them to figure out if he belonged there or not, and thats when the problem began.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    That's one of teh big things I have a problem with. Why is one still brought up on charges when it's clear he was in the right to begin with? Resisting arrest should be removed once it's been determined he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place.
    On the surface, I agree, but when you think of how the situation reads, he did allow them to determine that he does in fact live there etc. Thats why we have due process etc. You're not suppose to physically fight with the police no matter how right you are or feel you are. Thats what court is for.

And remember, he was not thrown in jail for laughing. He was thrown in jail for his actions towards the police.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats just it... he refused to allow them to figure out if he belonged there or not, and thats when the problem began.

On the surface, I agree, but when you think of how the situation reads, he did allow them to determine that he does in fact live there etc. Thats why we have due process etc.
    I'll assume that the bolded text was in fact a typo otherwise you've lost me.

But on this issue, here in the States if the police were to show up at my door without a warrant, would I not be within my rights to refuse them entry, or refuse to provide my ID? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You're not suppose to physically fight with the police no matter how right you are or feel you are. Thats what court is for.
    Really? Is that not how this great nation was formed in the first place? Is that not how the citizens of France maintain a semblance of control over their government? Is that now how We the People should also maintain some level of control? If the police know they will not get a fight when forcing themselves illegally into my home, what is to stop them from doing that to everyone whenever they want? What about the bad cops out there?

But on this issue, here in the States if the police were to show up at my door without a warrant, would I not be within my rights to refuse them entry, or refuse to provide my ID? I'm just curious.
    Once somebody calls in a report of a crime or suspicious noise activity the Police have a duty to investigate and determine if the complaint is founded or not
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The weird British... go figure.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links