Is "do more with less" ruining your job

This is a discussion on Is "do more with less" ruining your job within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It seems like every company is trying to implement the "do more with less" strategy, me for example, I work as a manufactures rep, the ...

Thread: Is "do more with less" ruining your job

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

It seems like every company is trying to implement the "do more with less" strategy, me for example, I work as a manufactures rep, the factories we rep are working with fewer people, and carrying less inventory, the distributors that buy from the factories, are working with fewer people and carrying less inventory, we are the in between people just plain working with less people. All three stages of the chain are trying to push more onto the other two stages, and a lot of work that original got handled, is now left undone. With no one carrying much inventory, the work load of expediting orders, and constant rechecking order status is adding to the already now over loaded work load.

Sorry to rant about my job, but is this the same in other fields. What's yours, service, sales, medical, legal?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I am in IT, and for the last few years at multiple companies it has been do more with less.

I am currently building out a site of a company we acquired last year and I am having to re-use the jacked-up cable that was in this place instead of running new cable. Now with that said I am also in the process of deploying a new PBX; so I guess it is give and take right now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

It is crazy everywhere, guys....

My company is competing for employees big time. I work in the power industry and in my field, I&C, we directly compete with the refining industry as well as Oil & gas. They are bleeding money right now, so they are just throwing money at the guys coming out of college to come work for them. It is nice for me because I got a big pay raise as everybody in our department did so our company can compete and retain skilled employees. But we, as well as everyone else is having to do more with less.......

But at least I have a job, and am all but assured being able to make it to retirement, provided nothing disastrous happens......

I know, famous last words.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    It seems like every company is trying to implement the "do more with less" strategy, me for example, I work as a manufactures rep, the factories we rep are working with fewer people, and carrying less inventory, the distributors that buy from the factories, are working with fewer people and carrying less inventory, we are the in between people just plain working with less people. All three stages of the chain are trying to push more onto the other two stages, and a lot of work that original got handled, is now left undone. With no one carrying much inventory, the work load of expediting orders, and constant rechecking order status is adding to the already now over loaded work load.

Sorry to rant about my job, but is this the same in other fields. What's yours, service, sales, medical, legal?
    It is and it isn't at the same time(at least in mine...IT/Engineering). I've been interviewing(an interview process from hell but that's for another thread - up to 5 people individually and a panel of 3 people so far and I have 2 more to go supposedly - all for one job) for an engineering position and it seems to me by the interview questions etc... that I'm going to be expected at some point to effectively automate a person's daily tasks(lots of scripting). The reasons seem to be cost driven. So effectively part of my job would be eliminating others jobs and/or refining them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    We're not participating in the 'recession'....We've hired three newbies in the last month & still looking for another!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It's not ruining it, but it makes it harder. I am the Chief Engineer for a large facility.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    We're not participating in the 'recession'....We've hired three newbies in the last month & still looking for another!
    What field are you in, my wife's been out of work for a year now. If it's a farm hand, dont' worry about it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I build and test Naval Nuclear Propulsion Plants, we currently have only enough people that during a test program we work 10 hours a day 7 days a week for months at a time. No days off, somebody is sick? The the other 2 guys in that position split the day.

We have increased our manning requirements recently, and people are leaving en-mass, 7 in 5 months. (There are only about 65 of us qualified to do the job, and the qualification process takes about 2 years.)
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Sponsored Links