WOW! I just found out my BEST FRIEND is a gun control freak.

This is a discussion on WOW! I just found out my BEST FRIEND is a gun control freak. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; She just told me "Canada has gun control and theres only 11 deaths per year that are gun related" "we don't have gun control and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WOW! I just found out my BEST FRIEND is a gun control freak.

She just told me
    "Canada has gun control and theres only 11 deaths per year that are gun related"

"we don't have gun control and we have thousands of shootings"

My response: "Gun control means hitting your target"

Then she said that if we had gun control that the guy she saw that got show would belaive if it wasnt for the gun. I told her that the person would of used a knife then. Then she said "I think we need knife control too"

*shakes head*
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

Are you serious? Knife control? So what, I have to pick up my steak and gnaw on it because someone might stab someone with a knife?

I apologize upfront to anyone this may offend. Please understand that I mean this as a well natured joke. (And I really like 1911's.)

D2Thomas, if you'd really like I'm sure we could talk to Bumper about setting up a special section on the board for the non-1911 people. But that would be like setting up a short bus for this board. Do you really want a ride that badly?

A1C Lickey

If you two have become best friends this far without approaching this subject, then it shouldn't be a big deal. You have differences of opinion - accept that and go on.

I have friends that are non-christians, liberals, pro-gun control, anti-hunting, and even pro-union (the worst! *ducks incoming objects*). I've had some of the most interesting conversations with these same people - not at all negative. If you approach the topic with a closed mind - you can be sure she will do the same. One of the truest tests of confidence in a belief is to honestly explore the other side.

Understand first and foremost that her stance is based on emotion. The desire for gun control always is. It's not based on logic. It may be extrapolated logically from a hypothesis, but even then said hypothesis invariably turns out to be emotion based.

Who was that that said that the "Guns are Icky" people usually think it's okay for someone they know but not everyone in general? That's the mindset of these people right there. It's all touchy feely emotions with them.

Canada has 11 gun deaths per year? What does that even mean? As in 11 people died from an accident caused by a defective firearm or ammunition? That's about the only way I can imagine a gun could kill somebody.

Start pointing out to her that she's going to kill someone because she owns a pair of scissors. Or a car. Or anything...

Assistant Administrator
    The desire for gun control always is.
    Yep Euc - I agree - it is an emotion thing with little injection of true logic.

Justin - you do have some work to do - or try anyways. Make it however non-confrontational - try the usual ploys which we discuss often. First and foremost - see if you can't get this idiotic idea out of her head that guns (per se) are dangerous - and remind her re tools, inert metal objects etc - oh and remind her too that any attempted gun control will free up a nice fat unarmed legal public, for praying on by criminals - who always will be armed anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"Canada has gun control and theres only 11 deaths per year that are gun related"
    The last year I could find verifyable statistics for Canada was 1996, one year after their required registration law took effect. 1,131 people died of gunshot wounds in Canada in 1996. Extrapolating for differences in population (and ignoring cultural differences completly), Canada's percentages of dying by gunshot are slightly lower than ours. 11 per year? Not a chance.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    Are you serious? Knife control? So what, I have to pick up my steak and gnaw on it because someone might stab someone with a knife?
    Actually if you look at some of the BBC articles, that subject is/was being considered in the UK. They wanted to out law all pointed knives.

They don't get it do they :chairshot
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    They don't get it do they :chairshot
    No dpesec, they don't and what's more they don't want to. They have no desire to see the truth and analize the facts in any objective manner.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    Justin, if she is that fanatical about guns, you will gain nothing trying to convince her and might lose the friendship. Like everybody's been saying, you can dump a ton of evidence on her head and she will refuse to see the light. The best you can do is to agree to disagree and let it be. If she is lucky, she will live the rest of her life without harm coming to her and not experiencing in her own flesh the need for a gun.

We should concentrate our powers of persuasion on people that still have not made a final decission one way or the other. It is always gratifying to see their eyes click with new understanding when you explain the issue of self-defense. And it is not like they will rush to buy a gun, get a CCW and join this board (Don't we all wish!) but we create allies for our fight. When a propaganda-person from HCI or similar go on ranting about the evil dudes that own guns, that formerly undecided person that we talked to will say "Hey, wait a minute. I know a guy/gal who owns guns and he/she is nothing like that! I am being BS'ed!" and instead of voting for a proposition against guns, he/she will vot agaisnt it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Bingo, Miggy! Excellent analysis
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

JT
    I think that would be giving up too easily. If they are friends they should be able to have a rational conversation. At least attempt to educate her. If it doesn't go well, then drop it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to the club. All my friends are gun control freaks. Avoid the topic and they're still more or less nice people. But I certainly understand your disappointment and frustration.

Just talked to a female friend online about this. Note that she wanted me to tell her why I think CCW is a good thing after I asked her what her opinion on the matter is. The conversation went for 9 minutes, then she got pissed and went back to cooking. She contradicted herself and was very emotional about it. Yet she accused me of being illogical. Bradys.

Here's a special gem:
    "Sporting purposes are fine, my own parents had a licensed airsoft rifle at home, but a gun does not belong on a belt! What do you need it for anyway, to increase your sexual performance?"
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Lead Moderator
    Too bad, luckily most folks up here hunt or know someone who does, so guns are not a big "no-no" to most in this area of the state. Hope ya can convince her the truth about firearms and our 2nd ammend. rights. NO should be a good example of why we need to be able to protect ourselves.

Assistant Administrator
    She contradicted herself and was very emotional about it.
    There Ibex we have perhaps the archetypal definition of most anti's !!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    So I was talking to my friend Kara a few minutes ago. She needed a topic for a persuasice essay for her college classes. I said "how about the whole thing with people wanting to take away our guns"

then...

it happened...

Kara: But I'm for gun control. I've seen people get shot, it's not cool.

OMFG

My best friend in the world is one of the people I hate the most in life.

A gun control, 2nd Amendment bashing, anti gun liberal freak?

Starting to be a bad day. :sport21:
    You'd be amazed at the converts I've had among the anti's if you'll just .... take them to the range with a simple little 22LR. Easy to shoot, easy recoil, accurate and F-U-N. Go someplace personable and not filled with the camo crowd -- take some friends along preferably people you both know who are also pro-gun or shooters. Better yet, take BETTY along....but MrShonts should go too....what I'm saying here is to take a progun female along and watch the fun. Best if somebody is also an instructor, but as long as you're SAFE and emphasize safety you'll be fine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links